Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
7 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 8:52AM #1
pmcarol121
As we enter lent tomorrow let us think of our dear lord and saviour Jesus .
How would we cope today for 40 days in the wild on our own .
I am giving up all sweets cakes and cookies . and devotiong my life to Prayer , What are you folks doing for Lent , Think of what jesus did for us , surely we can deprive our selves just one favouite thing for Jesus , when he gave his life so that we might have the presence of God within our hearts and souls
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 10:03AM #2
alquest

pmcarol121 wrote:

As we enter lent tomorrow let us think of our dear lord and saviour Jesus .
How would we cope today for 40 days in the wild on our own .
I am giving up all sweets cakes and cookies . and devotiong my life to Prayer , What are you folks doing for Lent , Think of what jesus did for us , surely we can deprive our selves just one favouite thing for Jesus , when he gave his life so that we might have the presence of God within our hearts and souls

I can't see the point of giving up anything I enjoy  for Lent! However, the Bishop of Liverpool James Jones did come with one sensible suggestion. If we all take out one light bulb it would save a considerable amount of energy and thus reduce our carbon footprint. Taking care of our planet is vital, God can take care of himself!

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 11:37AM #3
k-bearsmom
Lent is not FOR God's benefit...it is for ours!
It is....for most Christians... a time to reorient our focus.
If this be in small sacrifices, so be it.
If it be a time of fervent meditation on our Lord and His love and grace, that's a wonderful thing....giving thanks and praise for all we have been blessed with.

I choose the latter...to spend more time each day reading the Scriptures and DOING kindnesses.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2008 - 10:25AM #4
Softsilk
lent most certainly is for us and not "for God"; lent is a time to clear out just a bit of debris or blockage that keeps us from being our best self...God only stands by watching and waiting having his angels cheer us on as we spot some blemish that might better be polished so we can shine brighter.

God wants one thing from us: to become the best of who we are...God made us to be very precisely glorious ones; we set up a lot of blocks to that end point (usually because of fear or feeling not-in-control thinking we have to protect ourselves from some Powerful One who is trying to put something over on us, sorta like watching out against a cousin or brother who so enjoyed tripping us when we were young)

Iranaeus in the 3rd century had it in a nutshell: The glory of God is a human being fully alive.

holiness is a misunderstood word that really should point us toward wholeness...the whole self, beautifully realized.

what's not to like about that goal?
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. --  Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2008 - 12:25PM #5
elisa9511
A Prayer for Ash Wednesday

Blessed are you, O Lord our God, the all-holy one, who gives us life and all things. As we go about our lives, the press of our duties and activities often leads us to forget your presence and your love. We fall into sin and fail to live out the responsibilities that you have entrusted to those who were baptized into your Son.
In this holy season, help us to turn our minds and hearts back to you. Lead us into sincere repentance and renew our lives with your grace. Help us to remember that we are sinners, but even more, help us to remember your loving mercy.
As we live through this Ash Wednesday, may the crosses of ashes that mark our foreheads be a reminder to us and to those we meet that we belong to your Son. May our worship and prayer and penitence this day be sustained throughout these 40 days of Lent. Bring us refreshed and renewed to the celebration of Christ’s resurrection at Easter.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2008 - 12:54PM #6
k-bearsmom
What a beautiful prayer Elisa....thank you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2008 - 10:33PM #7
Stardove
(((((((Elisa))))))) Thanks my friend. It is good to see you here at AG. :)
Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2008 - 10:58AM #8
joyinhim
[QUOTE=stardove;270106](((((((Elisa))))))) Thanks my friend. It is good to see you here at AG. :)[/QUOTE]
We went to Ash Wednesday services last night and it was a beautiful reminder of what these 40 days really mean... It is a time to reflect on  exactly what your faith in Christ involves... Sunday mornings for 1 hour????  A fleeting thought a few days a week????? 
Calling on Him only when we need Him????
Reading the Scriptures with your heart and mind open to what He has to say to you????
Asking forgiveness each and every day for the sins that you have committed???? thought about????

Thanking Him with all of your heart for the many blessings that He has given you that you take for granted.????
Food on the table, your health, your healthy children and grand children, your friends, the home you live in??? These are all the things that we wake up with every day,,, and with our busy lives we seem to forget what a blessing we have in this country.. being able to worship without being arrested,,,,,  and a country, where, with all of it's faults, it still the best place to live in the world!!!

Let us all give thanks each day and focus of the Savior who gave us what we have....
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2008 - 1:24PM #9
arctic.she.wolf
I dont understand why people feel they have to make a sacrifice for lent. If you are going to make a sacrifice why not make it all year, or permenent? Like a new years resolution. Why do it for just lent? And what is the history of this 'tradition'? Did they make a sacrifice during lent after Jesus died?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2008 - 1:24PM #10
arctic.she.wolf
I dont understand why people feel they have to make a sacrifice for lent. If you are going to make a sacrifice why not make it all year, or permenent? Like a new years resolution. Why do it for just lent? And what is the history of this 'tradition'? Did they make a sacrifice during lent after Jesus died?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook