Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View one young woman's thoughts on turning twenty
6 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 4:47PM #1
Andre_Rieu_fan356
I just want to put this out there.

I turn twenty tomorrow and I can hardly believe it. I feel like it's all a dream and I have seriously mixed feelings about it. I mean, HELLO! I'll be twenty!!!! I'm leaving my teens which, I'm just realizing, have become a sort of comfort zone. Also, twenty now feels so darn OLD. I'm also rather sad because the chapter of my life that is almost over has been so exhilarating and thrilling and miserable all at once--it's been an incredible roller-coaster ride--AND I DON'T WANNA GET OFF!!!!!!!!

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I'd love to hear your thoughts (from both past and current twentysomethings).
::~~~~~~~~~~~~~::
Peace,
Annapurna

"Art is not what you see, but what you make others see"--Edgar Degas
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 4:34PM #2
Phantasm
High school and whatever happens right after that, be it trade school or college or whatever, is pretty much a unique period in our lives.  Everything before, you were "just a kid" who *had* to eat your green beans and clean your room and take out the trash, etc; your parents were firmly in control.  Everything after that is just plain ole ordinary life, paying the bills, cleaning your appartment, cooking your own meals.

Do I miss HS sometimes?  Sure do, and I'm 29.  I had to do a lot of work, but I also had some of the most meaningful interactions with people in my life between 9th grade and getting out of college.  I definitely miss those conversations.

After an experinace like that, the real world is pretty prosaic.  People don't talk religion or politics or history or stuff like that in general, certainly not in public or in a workplace at normal voice volume.  These things are controversial, and controversy is bad for business- it riles people up, makes them upset, makes employees less effecient and customers less likely to want to come to a business, and if business is bad, well!  You see where that train of thought is going.  That's been my experiance with the real world thus far, anyway.  Maybe other people in here haven't experianced that attidude.  I sincerely hope so, I hope I'm the exception and not the rule.

Regardless, adulthood is just something you gotta adjust to. I'm still in the process of adusting myself.  It's just a very different world.  But there's plenty to look forward to.  Just rememer, there are perks to being an adult.  You have lots of freedom, especially once you move out of the house.  This is what you've been looking forward to since you entered the 1st grade.

OH, and P.S.: you're not old, in fact at 20 your life has just barely begun!  Enjoy the ride.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 6:45PM #3
Andre_Rieu_fan356
Hey, Phantasm

Thanks for your note.

I'm starting to get used to being twenty. Part of the reason why twenty felt old was because it's a bit of a shock--last night was especially bad: leaving the teen years, starting to really become an adult (gulp), etc.

But that's part of life.

It's just a very different world.

I couldn't have said that better myself! Sometimes I feel as though I've gone down some rabbit-hole.

I'm still in the process of adusting myself.

Whoa! Then again, my massage therapist is around your age and a year or so ago she decided that she wanted to go to medical school--and it took her a long time to decide to become a massage therapist.

This is what you've been looking forward to since you entered the 1st grade.

Umm...... Okay..... I happen to be one of those people who's heart belongs to her home and to her hometown. Well, okay--I do want to see the world and my country (I've only been as far east as Nova Scotia and as far west as Ontario and New York, and I really want to go back to NS since I haven't been there since I was less than a year old). But I know that my heart belongs to my hometown and that at the end of my travels I will always return to my home (my mom and I are very much alike in that way).....

Peace,
Annapurna

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2008 - 12:03AM #4
Phantasm
OK, maybe guys and gals are emotionally different on this issue.  I just meant to say that you've "been looking forward to this [becoming an adult] since the first grade. "  Have you?  I know I was, ever since I that age.  I wanted to grow up, more than anything, when I was a kid.  But then, maybe we guys are more eager to get out of the house.  Sorry if I was assuming too much........
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2008 - 3:28PM #5
Andre_Rieu_fan356
That's okay--we all view things differently. I might be more of a home-oriented person than you, I really don't know.

BTW, I love your avatar!
Peace,
Annapurna

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2008 - 3:49PM #6
Alizera
I understand what you're going through. When I turned twenty I felt the whole...omg I'm two decades old thing. It's been a really interesting and quite frustrating part of my life but it is so fulfilling. Good luck with everything and happy belated birthday!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2008 - 4:06PM #7
Andre_Rieu_fan356

It's been a really interesting and quite frustrating part of my life but it is so fulfilling.

Sounds a lot like my experience of being a teen--miserable and joyful all at the same time. But to me that's what life is about and that's the beauty of it.

Thanks for the b-day greeting!

Peace,
Annapurna

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2008 - 9:04PM #8
RochellC
I turned 20 in August and I was like oh no, Im getting old, same as you. i was so afraid of leaving my teen years. However as the months progressed, I said hey, Im in College and being mature where I would have my own apartment would be exciting. Now I cannot wait till I turn 21.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2009 - 2:59PM #9
SunnyMuffin
I turn 20 in a few months and I'm really scared too.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2009 - 3:16PM #10
Andre_Rieu_fan356
Well, the good news is that the fear, sadness, and whatnot don't last forever--it took a few weeks but I adjusted. And so will you.
Peace,
Annapurna

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook