Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Our Homeless On Christmas And New Year's
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 11:05AM #31
BirdTattoo
[QUOTE=Kapua;107184]Yikes CP!
What are you trying to say? You started with veteran's being homeless (I agree)...then you ripped into everyone who was trying to share their experiences:( This is a very HOT topic, but you need to settle down:) Count to ten.....this subject is obvioulsy very dear to your heart...I feel your passion...I admire you for your convictions. I'm wondering if you're alienating the very audience that you wanted to capture?! We all pass through this life ONCE...IF WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE....even in a SMALL WAY...WE are BLESSED:)

Aloha Ke Akua,
~Kapua~

P.S. You can Quote me....I've never been quoted before:)[/QUOTE]

You're so right about being blessed ourselves by making a positive difference in the lives of others.  When we do good, we feel good.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 11:50AM #32
CarpathianPeasant
[QUOTE=stardove;107061]No where did I see Bird call CP a liar. No where did anyone say that ALL homeless people either have a mental illness or substance abuse. It was noted that many do have one or the other or both. Bird I appreciate how you handled CP's post. Honestly I was read to delete it, but I considered it handled.

As Elisa pointed out today many people find themselves one pay check from being on the streets. One of my son-in-laws' brother recently quit his job and moved out of state. They were being evicted, so he up and quits his job and loaded up the family. No work, no housing only a wife and two kids in a car. Money ran out so they spent three nights in their car sleeping in the Walmart parking lot where they could go inside and use the restrooms. Theirs was not the only car with homeless people in the parking lot.

My s-i-l flew out to where they were and paid for a cheap motel room for a week. His brother's final paycheck from the job he quit was suppose to be there (PO Box) the day before the room payment was up. Their mother was at Thanksgiving with us and it was clear that she did not want to talk about her other son. I did gather that nothing had changed. So I don't know what will happen when the check runs out if he does not find work. I will add that IMO the brother does have an alcohol problem.

The children are why my s-i-l and daughter helped them out and s-i-l told his brother he would come and get the children and fly them back here to live with them, if his brother didn't get his act together. It is a very sad thing. They went to a shelter and decided sleeping in the car was better. That is not a put down on any shelter. I'm just telling you what the brother had to say.

TIME TO CHILL OUT![/QUOTE] 

Stardove,

The links I posted lead to what is probably one of the best shelters in the country.  When I worked there, there were no facilities on site for children and couples had to separate -- men were in one dorm and women were in another, which may have been the reason your son-in-law's kin opted for the car. 

Both the brother and his wife could probably scrape together some funds working for temporary agencies that pay the same day you work (if computerized, they do) if the town where they are is big enough to have such and they know their way around well enough; but, if the children are school age, that's not a stable enough situation for the children to be going to school, which is probably a legal matter in itself.  It might be wise for your daughter and son-in-law to negotiate more vigorously for the children.  It may not be possible for their grandmother to take them in. 

The state where they are should have a public assistance program for families with unemployed fathers; but, they may have to be there a month to establish residency.  The $2,000 estimate I posted breaks down to about this:  landlords want a month's rent in advance and the equivalent in deposit (in some states, I believe Florida is one, you need both a deposit and a departure amount).  That alone, for a very inexpensive place, is going to run $1,000 to $1,500.  If the utilities are NOT included in the rent, that also takes deposit money.  Unless the place is furnished, they need at least sleeping bags and some groceries. 

Unless he had something lined up, he's not likely to find a permanent job in a couple of weeks.  Without gas money, the car is useless to them.  Acquiring a mental health record for either of them, particularly him, isn't too good of an idea.  Etc.   IMHO.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 11:05AM #33
BirdTattoo
[QUOTE=Kapua;107184]Yikes CP!
What are you trying to say? You started with veteran's being homeless (I agree)...then you ripped into everyone who was trying to share their experiences:( This is a very HOT topic, but you need to settle down:) Count to ten.....this subject is obvioulsy very dear to your heart...I feel your passion...I admire you for your convictions. I'm wondering if you're alienating the very audience that you wanted to capture?! We all pass through this life ONCE...IF WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE....even in a SMALL WAY...WE are BLESSED:)

Aloha Ke Akua,
~Kapua~

P.S. You can Quote me....I've never been quoted before:)[/QUOTE]

You're so right about being blessed ourselves by making a positive difference in the lives of others.  When we do good, we feel good.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 11:50AM #34
CarpathianPeasant
[QUOTE=stardove;107061]No where did I see Bird call CP a liar. No where did anyone say that ALL homeless people either have a mental illness or substance abuse. It was noted that many do have one or the other or both. Bird I appreciate how you handled CP's post. Honestly I was read to delete it, but I considered it handled.

As Elisa pointed out today many people find themselves one pay check from being on the streets. One of my son-in-laws' brother recently quit his job and moved out of state. They were being evicted, so he up and quits his job and loaded up the family. No work, no housing only a wife and two kids in a car. Money ran out so they spent three nights in their car sleeping in the Walmart parking lot where they could go inside and use the restrooms. Theirs was not the only car with homeless people in the parking lot.

My s-i-l flew out to where they were and paid for a cheap motel room for a week. His brother's final paycheck from the job he quit was suppose to be there (PO Box) the day before the room payment was up. Their mother was at Thanksgiving with us and it was clear that she did not want to talk about her other son. I did gather that nothing had changed. So I don't know what will happen when the check runs out if he does not find work. I will add that IMO the brother does have an alcohol problem.

The children are why my s-i-l and daughter helped them out and s-i-l told his brother he would come and get the children and fly them back here to live with them, if his brother didn't get his act together. It is a very sad thing. They went to a shelter and decided sleeping in the car was better. That is not a put down on any shelter. I'm just telling you what the brother had to say.

TIME TO CHILL OUT![/QUOTE] 

Stardove,

The links I posted lead to what is probably one of the best shelters in the country.  When I worked there, there were no facilities on site for children and couples had to separate -- men were in one dorm and women were in another, which may have been the reason your son-in-law's kin opted for the car. 

Both the brother and his wife could probably scrape together some funds working for temporary agencies that pay the same day you work (if computerized, they do) if the town where they are is big enough to have such and they know their way around well enough; but, if the children are school age, that's not a stable enough situation for the children to be going to school, which is probably a legal matter in itself.  It might be wise for your daughter and son-in-law to negotiate more vigorously for the children.  It may not be possible for their grandmother to take them in. 

The state where they are should have a public assistance program for families with unemployed fathers; but, they may have to be there a month to establish residency.  The $2,000 estimate I posted breaks down to about this:  landlords want a month's rent in advance and the equivalent in deposit (in some states, I believe Florida is one, you need both a deposit and a departure amount).  That alone, for a very inexpensive place, is going to run $1,000 to $1,500.  If the utilities are NOT included in the rent, that also takes deposit money.  Unless the place is furnished, they need at least sleeping bags and some groceries. 

Unless he had something lined up, he's not likely to find a permanent job in a couple of weeks.  Without gas money, the car is useless to them.  Acquiring a mental health record for either of them, particularly him, isn't too good of an idea.  Etc.   IMHO.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2007 - 11:19AM #35
CarpathianPeasant
Yes, now that this topic has settled down, here's another tip.  (One previous cost free one was to do just a little coaching at the library with things you already know.  The other previous one, a real cheapie, was buy the street newspaper from a vendor.)

If you have a few dollars -- like $10 -- that you want to put into things, well, you should know how fast produce spoils.  If you are at a farmers' stand or even at the grocery store, and you see something that will keep for a few days, why not pick up a some extra, like a bushel or a big sack full of lettuce, tomatoes, apples or whatever and take it to a likely shelter?  You don't have to groupy-up and cook a big dinner -- the place probably has a cook perfectly capable of slicing up a bunch of tomatoes, and you don't have to make sure you have enough for everyone, they can distribute what you give them to however far it can be stretched.  That's their job. 

When you get to a place, ask if they can use it; if not, take it somewhere else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2007 - 5:07PM #36
CarpathianPeasant
Thought I'd check the local media for what might be going on in the big homeless shelter in Cincinnati.  Maybe I didn't look right, but I found nothing so far.

It's Early Christmas Eve. 

Merry Christmas to anyone reading this.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2007 - 9:24PM #37
jeanette1
There are many reasons as there are people for homelessness,and I think B.T. has touched the matter succinctly  in her own experience as a shelter worker. My hat's off to you B.T. It takes very special people to work with people who have many mental disorders such as schizophrenia and I know in my own experience with the homeless in Calgary that many do suffer from this and do "not" take their meds. Not everyone is "gifted" in this area of ministry and we need more people to help.

I've put up the website of the Calgary Drop in Centre.  We have around 3000 to 5000 homeless people in our city.,and I wonder if CP has ever given a hug to someone who reeks of alcohol and hasn't bathed in weeks and is covered in body lice..I know I do ..everyday at my downtown church where they hang out in the summer. My experience is that there is a larger population of homelessness due to alcohol and drug abuse as well as mental illness. Then of course there are the minimum wage workers and families who moved here from other places in Canada hoping to find a better life and not checking out the cost of living here before loading up the car with the kids and moving here. I see and hear all kinds of stories and cons....

There are those who do get off the streets but I fear they are few and far between. Sometimes people get used to their life on the streets and become a part of a community of their own. We all do the best we can,but these people need a hand up,not a hand out. Unfortunately it's been my experience that the later is what many want.

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/ … 0_43/http%
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2007 - 9:27PM #38
jeanette1
I still don't know how to do the urls in this new format.lol

Oh well,I tried..

Merry Christmas everyone,and CP our homeless and low income people have had many a visit from Santa and his elves today.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2007 - 11:11PM #39
Stardove

jeanette1 wrote:

I still don't know how to do the urls in this new format.lol

Oh well,I tried..

Merry Christmas everyone,and CP our homeless and low income people have had many a visit from Santa and his elves today.

The url you gave is a link. :) Any time you put an address in a post it becomes a link.

If you get into the advance mode there is a blue ball right under the white smiley face. You can type what you want to call the link then highlight and paste the address into the window that pops up. The computer tips thread give directions. The first post talks about User CP that is now My Settings. You can insert pictures by clicking on the yellow envelope and putting the address in. Note: http:// is already there, be sure it is not there twice. Preview first before you submit.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 25, 2007 - 6:15PM #40
CarpathianPeasant
[QUOTE=jeanette1;163179]

I've put up the website of the Calgary Drop in Centre.  We have around 3000 to 5000 homeless people in our city.,and I wonder if CP has ever given a hug to someone who reeks of alcohol and hasn't bathed in weeks and is covered in body lice..I know I do

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/ … 0_43/http%[/QUOTE] 

Calgary Drop In Centre Googles up as this: 

http://www.cdics.com/locations/c110.htm

Inn was not misspelled  in my Cincinnati postings.  The name is Drop Inn. 

As for the ... uh ... "wondering" above: 

If the moderate wants some details of whether or not I've done any hugging or the like, I will be happy to provide them via outside email.  The story about Bill was not job related and is in the public information records since someone eventually did call police/fire for assistance.  I will say this: 

Anyone working on the switchboard, serving line, front desk, and several other places I can think of will likely have five, ten, maybe even fifty people waiting in line for service.  The BUSINESS OF PROVIDING SOCIAL SERVICES TO A  LINE OF PEOPLE DOES NOT USUALLY PERMIT TOO MUCH TIME FOR HUGGING AROUND.  One needs to rather instantaneously correctly assess the matter, send the person in the right direction, and tend to the next person in line. 

If one of the people is maybe bleeding or faints, I say by all means get up and run around the desk or counter and pay special attention.  In fact, memorize the telephone number for the fire department ambulance service first day on the job.  And, depending on the exact job, one may also need to be mentally swift enough to handle an enraged individual.  The bullet that killed Buddy Gray ten years ago was quite real, he is quite dead, and I am still shaken a bit when I think of the fact that I could have been on the front desk that day. 

Now if someone wants to help, the shelter might could use that extra bushel of apples at the farmer's fruit stand.... 
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook