Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
7 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2007 - 11:59AM #1
alquest
What do you people make of the Madeleine McCann saga, which is so surreal and bizarre that it has the quality of a soap opera? I suspect that the poor little girl probably died the day of her disappearance, and that she wasn't abducted as her parents wanted the world to believe, but was the victim of a tragic accident, possibly an overdose of sedatives!

I cannot imagine, as a parent, leaving three small children alone in a hotel room whilst  I was carousing with my friends 150 metres away in a tapas bar. It doesn't appear to be disputed that the parents and their seven friends drank up to 14 bottles of wine a night! If you wanted to ensure that your children slept whilst you were out, I would have thought it would have been tempting to slip them a sedative in their bedtime milk!

Whatever the truth is, I hope there will be closure very soon for all concerned.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2007 - 2:17PM #2
Hatman

alquest wrote:

What do you people make of the Madeleine McCann saga, which is so surreal and bizarre that it has the quality of a soap opera? I suspect that the poor little girl probably died the day of her disappearance, and that she wasn't abducted as her parents wanted the world to believe, but was the victim of a tragic accident, possibly an overdose of sedatives!

I cannot imagine, as a parent, leaving three small children alone in a hotel room whilst  I was carousing with my friends 150 metres away in a tapas bar. It doesn't appear to be disputed that the parents and their seven friends drank up to 14 bottles of wine a night! If you wanted to ensure that your children slept whilst you were out, I would have thought it would have been tempting to slip them a sedative in their bedtime milk!

Whatever the truth is, I hope there will be closure very soon for all concerned.

RM-
First, nice to see you around again!  Glad you found your way here.  Do you like the changes to b-net, or are you like most, liking some and hating others?

But as to your topic, I frankly do not know.  I would hate to have to stand and defend myself from having borne false witness through speculation.  That said, from what you've related, it certainly sounds like at BEST, these parents were being extremely irresponsible, if not criminally negligent.  I feel confident in stating that had these parents engaged in this kind of activity in America, chances would be high that the children would have been taken from them until a court hearing made a determination as to their fitness to BE parents.

Warmest regards-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2007 - 3:22PM #3
aws720k
It's been reported that people are sick of the "Find Maddie" campaign. I find that so sad! What if everyone had given up on Elizabeth Smart being found...alive and well?

As for the parents leaving the children alone in their hotel room while they wined and dined with friends, I think that happens more often than we can imagine. Some parents believe that if they check on them periodically, they're as safe as they'd be in their own bedrooms at home...which are possibly on a separate floor. And, too, trusting hotel sitters isn't always easy.

I don't want to think the parents had anything to do with her disappearance. And if she was abducted, I pray she's alive and well.

Annie
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2007 - 4:42PM #4
Stardove
Dear Annie,

As usual you come with the most reasonable post. Thanks for caring and being such an inspiration to so many. You are so right especially about Elizabeth.

Far too many children go missing. More than we ever hear about on the news. :(
Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2007 - 5:07PM #5
alquest
If the McCanns were working class instead of doctors you can bet that their remaining two children would have been taken into care because of their negligence. You can also bet that they would not have had this amount of publicity!:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2007 - 8:13PM #6
Earlyspring
Hi R M,
Glad you are back!

Is this your personal opinion, or the general opinion of the UK?

Here in the states, things have been presented  in a softer  tone.   First , it was explained that the  Doctors had a very difficult  time having a baby and their children are all the more precious because of the difficulty.

"If"   BIG if, they did give Maddie too much of a sedative, Where and what happened to the body.  None of the friends they were having dinner with have said anything to indicate their behavior was unususl.  Since they were in a foreign land , how would they know how to dispose of the body.

There are sooo many questions.  Difficult answers.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 8:24AM #7
alquest
I think what I have expressed in my posts is the general opinion in the UK. Most of us were shocked at how irresponsible the parents were leaving very young children home alone whilst they were out of sight and hearing of them! Nearly £2 million  ($4million+) has been raised by the parents to find the child. Many of us were disgusted when the McCanns admitted that some of that money had gone towards their living expences, and mortgage payments! I bet a lot of people who contributed to the fund would not make in a few years what Gerry McCann is making for 1.5 days a week work as a consultant gynaecologist, which is said to be £75.000 pa ($150,000+)

At first there was great sympathy for the McCanns, but as time has gone on and attention was turned to their activities that night, much of it has drained away, which is sad if they weren't responsible for their little girl's disappearance.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 5:50PM #8
Giliana
I feel much the way you do, Rose-Mary and the press in Canada hasn't been kind to these parents, either, which I well understand.  They seem to be bearing up very well, or perhaps they're simply stoical?  I can't come up with a good reason, at all, for leaving two young children in a hotel, unattended.  Judgemental?  You bet!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 7:39PM #9
aws720k
Gil ~ too many parents realize that error in judgment after it's too late. Around here, children dying in house fires or from playing with guns while the parents aren't at home are the headline news too often. Parents who put their "fun time" ahead of the welfare of their children is very sad, indeed.

I hope the Madeleine McCann case doesn't become another JonBenet Ramsey or Natalie Holloway case...an unsolved mystery. *sigh*

Annie
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 8:11PM #10
Giliana
(((Annie))), nearly *every* time I read a post from you, I feel I've been blessed with a bit of "southern exposure."
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook