Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
7 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 12:08AM #11
cranbrry13
I know I've matured since my teens. I try to be more patient now (and actually succeed sometimes) than I did then. I wish I could say I was better with my money. Actually, when I was in college and living away from home and had actual bills to pay, I did really good. Now that I'm living with the parentals again, I tend to splurge a bit more than I ought. I'm sure there are other ways in which I've matured but they aren't coming to my mind at present. (Obviously my memory is no better than it ever was.)

On job searches . . . I need to start. As I just mentioned in another thread, I'm close to graduation, so I really need to start sending in those applications. I'm such a procrastinator though . . . haha.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2008 - 6:39PM #12
chicagobearsfan
I feel that I have grown since my teen years.  Over my 20's I started a 0 tolerance policy.  I am 26 but I have been called every name in the book.  I had trouble with jobs, mainly it was from female bosses working the guys to death while the girls were allowed to do what they wanted.  I have never been a butt kisser and I will never will be.  I tell it like it is wheather you want to hear it or not.  That is the bottom line on me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2008 - 9:37PM #13
neurononsense
I feel like I've matured a lot since I was a teenager. Sometimes this is nice. I finally get control over my own life, and I make my own decisions. I have a job that I love, and I make a decent living for a person my age. Overall, I am happy, but sometimes, I'll admit, I kind of want to just sit in the corner and suck my thumb. See, the thing about being mature and having control is that you also have to take responsibility when things go wrong. I suppose I should learn to deal with that as I'm quickly approaching 29.

One thing I've noticed as I've aged (I know I'm not old but still...) is my lack of energy and resilience. When I was in college I used to go out drinking every Thursday night until 2am and then somehow make it to my 8am graduate level neuroscience seminar and actually be able to function and perform! Now if I'm up drinking unti midnight, I'm a zombie until 2pm the next day!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2008 - 2:09PM #14
Alizera
I think I'm more mature with my time and emotions. I was never a big partier or spender but I did put off things a lot. I still procrastinate but I'm working on that.

I think I've really opened up a lot more and realized it's not really healthy to repress bad feelings you have. There are people out there who are your friends and will gladly listen to you.

I've learned to clean more. When I was living at home, my room was always messy. My whole family said I"d be a slob when I move out. Partly because of maturity and partly because I"m stubborn and don't want my family to be right...I've made sure my apartment is at least thoroughly cleaned once a week.

I realized staying up until four in the morning working on a paper you procrastinated on almost everyday of the week isn't possible now. I hope I can keep that idea up when I go off to pharmacy school.

So yeah...I think as I get older I'm much happier with the person I've become than with the person I was before.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2008 - 5:23PM #15
Andre_Rieu_fan356
I turn twenty in less than a month (July 18th--Nelson Mandela's 90th).

When I think about maturity, generally I think back to this argument I had with a good friend back in September in which she called me immature. Since then I've turned it into a philosophical question: "what is maturity and what is immaturity?"

Anyways.

Over the years I've also asked myself how I would like to act--and then I went for it. Like caring about people, admitting when I've done something wrong and then fixing it if I can ASAP, trying to be a little better with money (not so many splurges, etc. ;) ), trying to get a job (I've had one interview, but they're doing an expansion, so they're more focussed on that than hiring people right now--I keep calling every two weeks or so, though).

And I agree with cranbrry13: when living with parents, it's easy to just relax and let the world pass you by. Last summer (I think--or maybe it was the summer before.......) my mom took a pastel course that was an hour or two away. She stayed there so that meant that from the moment my dad left for work to the moment he got home I was in charge. I really surprised myself with how well I did: cleaning up, doing what needed to be done, feeding the cats, etc.

But when mom goes to volunteer at the local vet clinic, since she's only gone for about three or four hours, I just ham it up and have fun--I'm just starting to think about doing the dishes when she comes home!!! >:-(
::~~~~~~~~~~~~~::
Peace,
Annapurna
::~~~~~~~~~~~~~::

"Art is not what you see, but what you make others see"--Edgar Degas
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2008 - 8:07PM #16
starchild33
I think you certianly make maturity leaps in life, but they are totally unique to the person.  When I was in my late teens, I always felt more mature than others in my age group.  It might be circumstantial though.  I got married and had my son at 18yrs and then twins at 20, so I had to grow up in many ways instantly.  I think a lot of young mothers can relate to that.  I am 28 now and I have learned alot and grown alot.  Some of that is purley do to time and experiences, some of it is because I am always search for ways of being a better me.  On the other hand, there are times I wish that I didn't have to be so responsible or mature, due to being a young mother. (please don't think I regret it, just making a point) Like missing out on college parties, juggling 3 small kids and classes, and no 21 B-Day Blast : (  The bonus is I'll be 40 when they are 20yrs and hopefully I'll have lots of life left in me and lots of wisdom too.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2008 - 9:25AM #17
pppox
Well, I'm still only twenty years old but I don't feel I've matured at all since leaving high school, and it kills me. Most people tell me that I'm not really an adult yet and so I shouldn't worry about anything, but when I look back it seems like the 20 year olds of previous generations already had their stuff together and made the jump from child to adult.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2008 - 11:46PM #18
starchild33
pppox,
If you're only 20, then you are really in the very begining of adulthood.  And what is adulthood anyway?  Certainly being more responsible is a bonus, but age has never promised that.  When we are young most of us have the liberty to be a little irresponsible.  If you don't have kids its not likely your mistakes are going to send some child to years of therapy.  If you're not buying a house, car and furnishing, and incuring med. bills it's not likely you will become so in debt that you can't dig yourself out.  Maybe an alternate view could be to enjoy youth (like Im so OLD lol).   Mistakes as a young adult allow you to better prioritize life latter on.  I would have rather enjoyed 50 years full of life and packed with experiences that 100 walking the line.  I had a good friend tell me recently (she just turned 60) that she knows shes grown up, but still feels in her mind like when she graduated from high school.  How awesome is that?  I only hope I can hold onto some of the  freedom and optimism from the teen years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2008 - 2:02PM #19
Leonette
When I was a teenager, I spent a lot of time worrying about stuff. Trying to take care of everything. Trying to fix things and people. Planning ahead. I didn't really know how to just relax. I was always worrying about something or someone.

As I got into my 20's I've learned to relax. I've learned that sometimes you have to just focus on yourself. I can't do everything for everyone. I've learned to pick my battles. I still enjoy helping people, but I've found different ways to do so without killing myself in the process.

Other than that, I'm still the same me. I still dress and act weird. I still have friends and a social life. I still stay up until 3am when I feel like it. I just quit with the planning ahead and the what ifs and have learned to just go with the flow.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2008 - 7:35PM #20
Whoareyouwhenyouaredown
I feel a lot more comfortable in my own skin now. I finally feel comfortable calling myself an adult.  I had my first desk job over the summer and it certainly helped me grow in confidence.  I still have a long way to go though.  Somehow I expected myself to feel older at 21.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook