Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What do you love about your 40s?
7 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2007 - 2:30PM #1
appy20
What do you like about being in your forties?  Is this decade different for you?  Are you different now?

It is very different for me.  It has been my liberation decade.  I have had the most fun in my life in it.  I have become comfortable in my own skin.  I had a hard time with that when younger.  I truly like who I have become.  Warts and all.  I can forgive myself more easily.  I know that I can endure what I thought I could not in the past. I have weathered enough stuff to know that I can handle most of what life throws at me.  I also sweat less of the small stuff.  I am still energetic as I was when younger but much more centered.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 1:56PM #2
wontgetfooledagain

appy20 wrote:

What do you like about being in your forties? Is this decade different for you? Are you different now?

It is very different for me. It has been my liberation decade. I have had the most fun in my life in it. I have become comfortable in my own skin. I had a hard time with that when younger. I truly like who I have become. Warts and all. I can forgive myself more easily. I know that I can endure what I thought I could not in the past. I have weathered enough stuff to know that I can handle most of what life throws at me. I also sweat less of the small stuff. I am still energetic as I was when younger but much more centered.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I still feel very young and do just about everything I've always done my whole life, but at the same time I have 45 years of experience behind me. At this stage of life most of us have encountered many of the joys and hardships of life and have hopefully come to some conclusions of what our purpose is in this world...though that is ALWAYS a work in progress. I also don't sweat the small stuff, I've got a pretty good idea of what is important and what isn't and that is what I focus on.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2007 - 11:31AM #3
appy20
I just love your moniker "won't get fooled again" because I am a Who fan.  :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2007 - 11:35PM #4
JoAllison
I have to say I've enjoyed my 40's more than any other decade.

I'm more confident. I know who I am (even if it seems to be changing).  I'm more confident being me, and independent, and fun. I like that I have enough experience that don't get as flustered when something doesn't go as planned.

And, frankly, I'm enjoying menopause. It's kinda shaking up my life to have that power turned inwards, but I think ultimately it will be very very good. And, the hot flashes don't really bother me (had "fake" ones so long on the Tamoxifen that I'm used to them. They aren't permanent.), and the other benefit is great.   And I think I'm more sexy than I've ever been, so that thing about dwindling away is hogwash.

Jo

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2007 - 10:50PM #5
Anesis
So far, I have spent my 40's in university and dealing with issues from family of origin, so I must say I'm not having too much fun.

I thought it would be hard to go back to university, being with kids who could be my children! But I was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of others my age are returning as well, for various reasons that pertain to midlife in this society. We might be the oldies there, but it seems that the young ones are fully accepting and supporting of us returning to school.

Life doesn't begin at 40 - it begins after university!

I have been very fortunate, too, to return to school and be somewhat more financially secure than I was when I was just starting out, too. I really can't complain, but school is consuming and I don't feel like I'm really living.
An
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 8:25PM #6
anap
Not quit 40 yet ( Nov 17th) LOL

I am more secure...more positive....I know what I want and I am not going to settle.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 8:25PM #7
anap
Not quit 40 yet ( Nov 17th) LOL

I am more secure...more positive....I know what I want and I am not going to settle.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 12:43AM #8
JoAllison
And it only gets better Anap!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 8:39AM #9
judymae1401
as of right now, I love just about everything about my 40's.  I am now 44.  But, to my advantage, I had a lifechanging event happen when I was 41, which gave me a new outlook on life.  I was once a workaholic, perfectionist, and just  an all around a-hole.  Bad temper, anger management problem and  all.  Didn't I sound fun to be around? ha.  At 41, I sufffered a cerebral anuerysm and was given a 50/50 chance.  Well, I'm still here.  I feel as if my life began at that time.  I had to relearn  a lot of what I had learned in those first 41 years.  But overall, my biggest lesson from it all was to learn to enjoy my life.  Not only my life, but the life around me.  I never dreamed I would be unemployed at my age.  Never in my wildest dreams.  Gone now, is my seriousness of every thought and action, on my part.  I have learned to start anew.  I guess you can say I was born again at the age of 41.  I have a loving family: a hubby, and 2 kids.  My mom is still alive, and I know she loves me, and I know I love her more than I ever thought I could.  I honestly hate to think what I would be right now if the Lord had not stopped me in my tracks on that fateful day. 
I didn't tell all of this for want of pity, or support.  I have learned to be honest about myself and my actions.  I now know I don't have to please or impress severyone that crosses my path.  I no longer take life for granted.  I feel very fortunate to be what I am now. 
But what am I.  Let's see, crazy, and happy, and in love with life! I laugh all I can, and try to leave everyone I meet with a smile.  A simple plan, I know, but it makes me and others happy.  And that's what I always wanted to be.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 11:42PM #10
anap
Thanks Jo! I believe it!!!!!!

Can't wait for the rest of my life............
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook