Page 1 of 19  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Drinking age 21....should this be changed?
5 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2009 - 6:19PM #1
Dreamweever2

I found this story on CNN today. According to the article, the US is only one of four countries that has a drinking age of 21. Other countries have a drinking age of 16-18, or no minimum age at all. It also states that the drinking age in the US does not work.

www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/16/mccardel...

Anyone care to share their views?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2009 - 7:52PM #2
Tmarie64

At 16 we can drive.  At 18 we can go to battle and die for our country...

Drinking age should be 18.  

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2009 - 8:54PM #3
jane2

When I was a teen in the fifties in New York State we could legally drink at 18 but we couldn't vote.

Eventually I think NYS was persuaded to raise the drinking age to 21 because of fusses from neighboring states.

College kids drink no matter what the legal age is. The reaL danger today, I think, is drinking and driving at any age. It's just too hazardous for all now. If one is going to drink except at home one probably needs to hire a limo or taxi unless one has maybe one cocktail before dinner or one glass of wine with dinner. No more two cocktails with canapes before dinner, wine with and an Irish coffee and/or a cognac after dinner.

For a festive night my husband and I would hire a room in a hotel with an excellent dining room. The Fourth of July at the Ritz-Carlton in Buckhead here was a kick-in-the pants, especially if one stayed on the concierge level

Interesting conversation.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2009 - 9:04PM #4
Roodog

There's been a lot of trouble with college kids getting drunk and hurting themselves and other folks. This is why Colorado had raised the drinking age to 21.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2009 - 9:26PM #5
jane2

Sep 16, 2009 -- 9:04PM, Roodog wrote:

There's been a lot of trouble with college kids getting drunk and hurting themselves and other folks. This is why Colorado had raised the drinking age to 21.

R-dog

Doesn't surprise me at all. My guess is much of this revolves around drinking and driving.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2009 - 10:06PM #6
Girlchristian

Sep 16, 2009 -- 9:26PM, jane2 wrote:

Sep 16, 2009 -- 9:04PM, Roodog wrote:

R-dog

Doesn't surprise me at all. My guess is much of this revolves around drinking and driving.

There have been articles on the effects of "binge" drinking, which is the type of drinking that occurs in many colleges and underage situations.  Kids tend to hurt themselves or others because of their inability to function or realize when they've had too much.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2009 - 10:29PM #7
Stardove

Texas lowered the drinking age from 21 to 18 in 1973 - 36 years ago.  It lasted a few years then age 19 and finally the age was raised to 21 again.

LEGAL DRINKING AGE IN TEXAS

Prior to 1973: 21

1973-1981: 18

1981-1986: 19

Sept. 1, 1986-present: 21

Source: Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission

****http://www.reporternews.com/news/2007/Oct/27/lower-drinking-age-to-18/****in case link above stops working.

In 1986 living at home were my oldest of four children who was in her first year of college, a 12 year old, a 9 year old and the baby was 8.  Is it a wonder I can't remember?

I was wondering why and couldn't remember myelf, and this is what I found on Google:

AROUND THE NATION; Texas and North Carolina Raise Drinking Age to 21

States have been raising the drinking age because of a law that cuts the Federal highway funds of states with drinking ages below 21. Eight states and the District of Columbia still sell alcoholic drinks to customers under 21.

***http://www.nytimes.com/1986/09/01/us/around-the-nation-texas-and-north-carolina-raise-drinking-age-to-21.html***in case link above stops working.

Bottom line the age was raised in Texas over federal funding.

It is believed (by AA members) the earlier ones begins drinking the more likely they will become alcoholics.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2009 - 10:55PM #8
Dreamweever2

I live in Northwest Indiana, not too far outside of Chicago. When I was 16, drinking age in Michigan was 18, and in Illinois 19. My friends used to go to the state line to buy beer and wine. By the time I was old enough to drink in either state, the age had been raised to 21. Without adult supervision, we had a tendency to get pretty loaded at times. I rarely ever drink any alcohol these days. When I do, it's maybe a glass of wine, or a beer.

I found this article interesting. My oldest son is in Cambridge England attending college. He will be 22 on Sunday. When he first arrived, I asked him out of curiosity what the drinking age was there. He said it was 16 with a parent, or 18 without. He also said that it's looked down upon in that culture to drink too much in public.

It's my feeling that when something is not denied to any certain group, it's less likely to have the same appeal. When any group says, "we can have this, but you can't because....", it seems to me that prompts the group that can't have it to want it more. Seems like human nature, and you can even see it with groups of young kids playing. The odd one out usually wants what the others have. It could just be me, but as was mentioned in an earlier post, we have 18 year olds going off to defend our country. It seems to me that they should also be able to have a beer.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2009 - 11:09PM #9
Stardove

Dreamweever, you just reminding me why my husband kept re-upping for Vietnam.  He could drink over there, but when he got home he couldn't, so back to Nam he went.....Too many times. Cry

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2009 - 11:38PM #10
Dreamweever2

Oh (((Stardove)))....I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do that. I remember when my ex was in the army. I hated the times we were apart.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 19  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook