6 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2009 - 7:54PM #1
Zablebermel

*I cannot find the original forum post so I'm just reposting this, thanks!*

Hello to anyone that is reading this! I'm Liz and I'm brand new to Beliefnet!

I was raised Reconstructionist (Jewish) and had a Bat Mitzvah (Jewish Teen rite of passage). However, Judaism does not reflect my beliefs so in tenth grade, I went to the public library to do research. After hours of researching different faiths, I found something called Wicca. Intially, I was skeptical, but the more that I read the more I liked. Then after a couple of months, I did more and more research on the internet (trying to use the most reputable sites possible) and I became very happy that I found someting that I worked for me.

I wanted to learn how to initate myself because I do not know how to reach out and find more Wiccans or Pagans in my community. I think there is one other kid in my school...

So I performed a self initiation ceremony and two years later, I have never been happier. 

Someone said, "Initiated yourself? ....isn't that a bit of a misnomer?"

I just was confused by this and wanted to know what everyone thought. If the person that posted that is here, I would be happy to hear you explain what you meant.

Thank you

~Liz

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2009 - 12:32PM #2
Diarmuid

Well, it has been a few years since I have really gotten into anything with Wicca, but I still have a good basic understanding of the religion, as I have a few Wiccan friends. All of them are also really "traditional", in the Wiccan sense of the word, most of them being Garnderian or Alexandrian.

The reason I said that was because self-initiation really is kind of a misnomer within Wicca. Wicca (or at least Garderian Wicca) is a mystery religion and many of its secrets are oathbound and can only be learned by true initiates who have been accepted within a lineaged coven. From what I have learned from my friends, if one has not been initiated within a group, they would be considered a dedicant, rather than an initiate.

One Wiccan I know calls himself a Solitary Wiccan and considers Solitary Wicca a different path from Wicca. Within Solitary Wicca no one is really intiated either, just dedicated. And from what you said, I would think you would better be described as a Solitary Wiccan using this explanation.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook