Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2008 - 8:59PM #1
Sean
What are your beliefs on magick? Does it work by supernatural powers or by a placibo like effect? Are there limits to the powers of spells and should black magick be limited?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2008 - 6:16PM #2
Diarmuid
Magic isn't used in my religion as often as it is in religions like Wicca. In my view, magic can't do anything a prayer can't do. I rely mostly on my Gods.
I think that magic can work supernaturally and psychologically. Both are valid magical techniques.
I am assuming that you mean harmful magic by "black magic". I said earlier in a different thread that honor is a highly valued virtue in my religion. If it is a dishonorable act or mtive, then black magic will be punished by the Gods. Or the person will punish themselves (which is probably more common). But it isn't something unheard of. I believe that if it can be used to protect oneself or one's family or friends, then by all means, use it. But I usually turn to my Gods or do everything else possible without the use of magic. I still wouldn't hesitate to curse someone if I thought it was necessary though.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2008 - 9:41PM #3
Sean
Interesting rsponse. I dont caste spells often either. To me spells work by more of a placibo effect than anything. As for black magick even when used for good intentions it wont turn out well. Darkness can not drive out darkness only light can do that, hate can not drive out hate only love can do that- Martin Luther King Jr.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2008 - 10:48PM #4
Diarmuid
What exactly is a placebo effect?
As for dark magic, the main reason I wouldn't hesitate is because I don't hold the beliefs of karma and the Law of Three. The consequences I see are either brought upon by yourself, or by the Gods (but usually for a lesson of some sort).
But still, when one plans to do such a thing, it must be taken with responsibility and and with recognition of the possible consequences. To me it is just another tool. Say someone was going to attack my friend physically, I am not going to stand by and watch while yelling out "where's the love?!", I'm going to hurt them....bad. For me, black magic is just another weapon I can use when everything else is unavailable.
Note: My belief system is kind of warrior like in nature at times....the Fianna (warriors) are a recognized part of my religion, so its just a different school of thought.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 1:26PM #5
MrContemplative
yes, i must agree, magick can be used, but it has no good or evil, the colors only denote what kind of magick is contained within their scope. Here is  the breakdown as i see it:
Black: necromancy, curses, hexes
Red: stuff used for combat (note, this has not yet been performed, it only exists as theory)
Green: life, healing, nature etc...
White: protective, astral travel etc....
Gray: anything not listed above, such as invocations, evocations, and summonings.

but overall, magick is just a tool, sometimes a gift
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 6:50PM #6
Sean
A placibo effect is similer to when a doctor gives you a pill that contains nothing but he tells you it does and because you believe it it works. The law of three and karma are simply another way of saying you reap what you sow similer I think to what you are saying. Mr. Contemplative makes some good points. Though it is a tool one should not use it unless absolutly nescceary. What I meant earlier was that using black magick for the reasons you described solve the problem temperarily but as said before to beat "evil" one must use good.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 7:37PM #7
Diarmuid
[QUOTE=Sean;421175]A placibo effect is similer to when a doctor gives you a pill that contains nothing but he tells you it does and because you believe it it works. The law of three and karma are simply another way of saying you reap what you sow similer I think to what you are saying. Mr. Contemplative makes some good points. Though it is a tool one should not use it unless absolutly nescceary. What I meant earlier was that using black magick for the reasons you described solve the problem temperarily but as said before to beat "evil" one must use good.[/QUOTE]

Ah, the power of suggestion. That is what I meant by psychological magic. Then again, who cares if it works, right?
Just another thought. But do you truly believe that good can solve everything? Just my views, but I don't see the world in a dualist sense (good vs. evil), good and evil are just concepts that are different from person to person. What is good to one person, can be evil for another. Basic concepts of good and evil in the Western world are surely not universal. So how do you go about fighting something with what you think is "good" against what another believes is "good"? I have never thought that voilence was always an "evil" thing, so if I used it to defend myself, to me that IS using good against what I think is evil.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 9:34PM #8
Sean
If you look through nearly all the religions you will find that most share a certain rule. That is the rule of the reciperacal and that love is the most important law. Also going by the UN's declaration of human rights it is safe to assume that most countries have certain things about good/evil that they believe. Of course evil can never be complitly done away with nor should it be as then there is nothing left to overcome. Self-defense is fine and I would encourage nothing less as a martial artist but there is a limit to what one can do in self defense before it becomes a bad thing. We as humans can only seek to minimize the harm we do.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 9:34PM #9
Sean
If you look through nearly all the religions you will find that most share a certain rule. That is the rule of the reciperacal and that love is the most important law. Also going by the UN's declaration of human rights it is safe to assume that most countries have certain things about good/evil that they believe. Of course evil can never be complitly done away with nor should it be as then there is nothing left to overcome. Self-defense is fine and I would encourage nothing less as a martial artist but there is a limit to what one can do in self defense before it becomes a bad thing. We as humans can only seek to minimize the harm we do.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2008 - 11:49PM #10
Diarmuid
Again, I do not hold the belief of karma, and therefore it does not pertain to me. And as for love, while it may be a powerful thing, it is not the "most important" law.

Honor. Now that is something I feel to be important.

Now, as you are Wiccan (right?), I can definately understand where you are coming from and respect your views. But my views are drastically different.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook