Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Seeking advice on religion.
7 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2008 - 11:29PM #1
kelliletner
I have been raised christian and now I find that I do not agree with many of the beliefs, and that I am not passionate about it.  I feel empty trying to force myself into a christian mold, but whenever I think about trying to change my religion I feel very guilty and shameful.  I feel like I've been almost "brainwashed" into feeling this way and I hate it.  I would love to explore buddhist ideals.  Please give advice.  Should I feel guilty?  Is it wrong to change my religion?

please help.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2008 - 11:56PM #2
Heimdallsman
Kel,
It's NEVER, EVER wrong to question your religion.  Understand that first.  When I first started questioning, after also having been brought up Christian, I was worried.  But then I learned something I'll share with you; questioning and wondering what you believe and what you're doing is normal, healthy, and, most likely, SMART.  To act any other way is, quite frankly, idiotic.  You must first learn this, and when you come to grips with it, and you exorcise yourself from your 'demons', ie, your guilt, you will start feeling better.

Now, about religion.  First try looking at other denomenations, you might find something you agree with.  Then, if you don't, hell, even if you do, research every other religion you can think of from Asatru to Zoroastrianism, and decide THEN, and only then, what you agree with.  And, most importantly, NEVER fall into the lull so many people have of blind faith.  Always question, always wonder, and, most importantly, always think.

In Satan
Mike.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 12:33AM #3
k-lamb
I, too, was raised in a Christian environment. I, too, began to question whether it was right. I have done some reading and talking to people of different beliefs. I take what I learn into consideration and compare it to what I feel is right. I don't conform to a religion. Maybe you should consider what YOU believe instead of what your "religion" would have you believe. Your spirituality is personal. Not governed by Christianity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2008 - 5:21PM #4
Neutralist
If you find a question that someone you follow can't answer, then chances are you shouldn't be following them, and if they give an answer that doesn't make sense, chances are they are full of crap...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2008 - 10:27PM #5
*TheAmberRose*
Well, If it's any consolation, I felt the same way. I dabbled in other religions from Wicca to Buddhism to a fake ( and ridiculous ) "cult" my friend made ( based off of Sprinkles )...*laughs* Now, I have found that I mix and match a little of all beliefs. Check my last Journal entry from today...just an example. My main faith is actually Catholicism, but the rest of my beliefs are very scattered. My parents do not know. My mom is Lutheran and gay....and not particularily fond of any of the things I believe ( if only she knew *deep breath* ). So, I say that you stick with what you feel your heart is telling you and go wherever it leads you. Be happy. That is all the advice I feel valid to give you.
If you would like to talk more, please, feel free to visit my profile, okay? (^_^)
With warm wishes,
*TheAmberRose*
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2008 - 10:27PM #6
*TheAmberRose*
Well, If it's any consolation, I felt the same way. I dabbled in other religions from Wicca to Buddhism to a fake ( and ridiculous ) "cult" my friend made ( based off of Sprinkles )...*laughs* Now, I have found that I mix and match a little of all beliefs. Check my last Journal entry from today...just an example. My main faith is actually Catholicism, but the rest of my beliefs are very scattered. My parents do not know. My mom is Lutheran and gay....and not particularily fond of any of the things I believe ( if only she knew *deep breath* ). So, I say that you stick with what you feel your heart is telling you and go wherever it leads you. Be happy. That is all the advice I feel valid to give you.
If you would like to talk more, please, feel free to visit my profile, okay? (^_^)
With warm wishes,
*TheAmberRose*
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2008 - 6:28PM #7
Neutralist
[QUOTE=o god;412697]I like it when we try to discuss our beliefs as we all are humanbeings.
For me as a Muslim, I never feel confused about my religion because I find a convenient answer to every doubt I have about any field of life. You know? Buddhists believe in a God that they manufacture by rocks. How is this logical? There is only one God who created everything including humanbeings.
I really feel sad when I see people suffering to analyze books written by humans and considered as books from God. As Muslims, we believe in all the (original) books sent by God but those books have been changed by humans and the proof is what you are wondering about. Quran agrees with all the (original) books of God. There is one load of this universe who gave correct standards of a happy life now and after death...

You can discuss with me.
My regards..[/QUOTE]

...How is the idea of any God logical?  What is the point of religion to you?  How are you so certain that as a Muslim, you are more right than a Christian, Catholic, or a Jew?  I am willing to bet that I could find many contradictions and paradoxes in the Quran if I decided to read it, though I will leave it at that, because even if I did find one, you probably would be too proud to admit it.  Forgive me if I am making incorrect assumptions about you, but you seem to be one who is 100% confident in your faith, and in general, people like that don't listen to thoughts that contradict their own very often.  Hopefully if this conversation does get interesting, the person who started this thread will be able to learn something that might help him come to a decision...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2008 - 11:57AM #8
Neutralist
I'm both happy to learn that you have an open mind and slightly decidedly irritated that I made the vow to find a contradiction, cause that means I have to go and read some book I wasn't particularly interested in in the first place...  If I find one, I'll post it here and send it to you in an email, if not, I'll concede the lack of contradictions/paradoxes of the Quran.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2008 - 12:10PM #9
Neutralist
Wow, what a toughy...

"The Qur'an teaches that there are seven heavens one above the other [67:3, 71:15], and that the stars are in the lower heaven [67:5, 37:6, 41:12], but the moon is depicted as being in/inside the seven heavens [71:16], even though in reality the stars are much further away from the earth than the moon."

Hmmm, interesting...

"How can mountains both be able to "refuse the trust" and "feel fear" as Sura 33:72 says?"

"Take, for example, the Quran's highly controversial statement that human beings are formed from a clot of blood. "Then We made the sperm into a clot of congealed blood; then of that clot We made a (foetus) lump; then We made out of that lump bones and clothed the bones with flesh" (23:14).

This is hardly a scientific description of embryonic development. It ignores to mention the female egg (the second and equally important half) and the process of fertilization when egg and sperm unite to form one new cell."
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 9:13PM #10
labratcat
I was also raised in a Christian home and never allowed myself to question my faith.  When I did, I found that my faith was virtually non-existent.  I did feel guilty about that for a long time, but am getting over it now.  An important thing to understand is that unquestioned faith is not true faith.  It's just blind faith. 

One thing I greatly like about Buddhism is that it does not require belief.  The Buddha found a way to end suffering which worked for him and taught it to others in the hopes of ending their suffering as well.  The emphasis (as in Hinduism as well) is on personal experience.  "Buddhas only show the way." - Dhammapada

At o god, Buddhists do not believe in a god they constructed from rocks.  The teaching of the Buddha is that god is a concept which we cannot know about one way or the other and therefore we should not overly concern ourselves with trying to understand something that cannot easily be understood.

Personally, I like Hinduism and Buddhism because they teach a way to find the divine and leave the conclusions up to me (much more complicated than that, but I'm afraid I don't have time to write a novel -- sorry).
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook