Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
6 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2008 - 11:03AM #11
cassieann07
[QUOTE=Happy;413002]Sigmon Freud a noted physiologist said all men are created homosexuals and they have to make a moral decision what to follow. Our society today is making it normal.

The problem with allowing any deviant behavior, after a while it becomes so normal we feel it must be ok. A good example is slavery. It became so normal, we had to fight the civil war to get rid of it.

God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. The commandment was to be fruitful and multiply.

Risk living transparently.[/QUOTE]

I would suggest avoiding quoting Freud unless you are trying to explain how far we've come since this time. lol. The lunatic was obsessed with sex. Homosexuality in itself is not a sin, at least not in my opinion, because I feel you cannot choose who you are attracted to. It is something that you are born with, I guess you could put it.

So you are saying that because slavery had become so normal we had to fight a civil war to get rid of it. And you are comparing this to homosexuality right? Thus saying that because society is making it so normal we are going to have to again go to a drastic measure to "get rid of it?" Maybe thats not what you meant, but thats what I got out of it.

Slavery is completely irrelevant to homosexuality. Slavery caused the death and abuse of many people who did not deserve that kind of treatment. To compare slavery and homosexuality as "deviant behaviors" is ridiculous. Homosexuality does not physically harm anyone else. Say the person sitting next to you was gay. Is he affecting you? Hurting you? Physically disabling you? No. Homosexuality is not going to go away, and frankly its not up to you or anyone to tell someone they can or can't be homosexual. It is THEIR personal issue and no one has the right to try and affect that. If you want to compare slavery and homosexuality in any way you can compare the fact that both groups are being discriminated against and THAT is what we need to get rid of.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 4:25PM #12
defy_gravity
I don't think homosexuality is a sin, you're born that way, God made us that way.

cassieann07

Leviticus 20:13 NIV: (New International Version) "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

But we don't put gays to death do we?  Looking at the verses in Leviticus I noticed most of them involve putting people to death or exiling them.  So are people only supposed to follow half of these statutes.  I love it when people use Leviticus.  There is a lot of verses in Leviticus nobody follows and nobody cares if they aren't followed.

Leviticus 19:19: "thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woolen come upon thee."

So I take it you don't wear polyblends.  My point is Leviticus needs to be taken in the context of when it was written.  All these rules are meant to protect a society that consists of agricultural, nomadic tribes.  The rules allowed that society to run smoothly.  The rules concerning the diet ensured that the food they ate was safe to eat and that nobody got sick or died.  We don't need these rules anymore.  We currently live in a completely different society.  The thing is though then what parts of the Bible should people follow and which not.  Or maybe we could take the Bible as an outdated novel that has some good lessons and shouldn't be taken literally.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 9:18AM #13
cassieann07
defy_gravity..
I  understand what you mean about Leviticus (the putting to death and polyblend thing) And I understand that there are many things in that book that we don't literally follow today. I guess the way I was trying to explain it is that even though we aren't taking it in literal terms--we arent going to "put them to death" someone who acts on their homosexuality, like you said we live in a totally different society today--I feel that the verse is still clear when it explains that it is not God's will for a man to be with a man the way he is meant to "lay" with a woman. It is not just this one verse that is behind my belief that homosexual behavior is wrong, but many more throughout the bible. I, like you, feel that homosexuality isn't a sin--I've said it before-- one is born with those feelings and cannot change that, but I feel that God does not call those to act on their feelings because such actions are reserved for a man and woman.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2008 - 8:55PM #14
missmishi08
[QUOTE=MrContemplative;486592]i couldn't help from keeping out of this argument any longer.

so here's my view: like so many, i believe that homosexuality and hetersexuality are a genetic thing. However, like many other genetic things, this can be worn down, and eventually tossed away, and you can then flip to the other side.

look hard enough and you will see that this is the truth.

P.S.: This applies not only to sexuality but to all aspects of life, like capitalism and communism, or christianity and paganism.[/QUOTE]
i honestly don't think you can toss away an aspect of yourself just like addicts never stop being addicts, they just learn control. no one stops being homosexual or bisexual or anything one just learns how to control their behavior. perhaps that is what you were trying to say. but that is my stand =]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2008 - 8:08PM #15
EmmyJoy
You're right, Scott! I feel like I should just copy and paste what you said into the message box. Here's one thing that's weird: I don't think gays and lesbians should be able to get married. Marrage is only to get babies, I think. But they love each other. I don't know! I'm only 15. Maybe I'll smarten up when I'm older.

joyjoyjoy, Emily
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2008 - 8:50PM #16
GreatScotty
I know I'm going to get punched in the face for saying this, but I have to, so I will.

I don't believe that homosexuality is genetic.  There may be a genetic tendency towards it, but there is far more evidence that your family dynamics and home life play a greater role in it then birth order or recessive genes.  For example, the new theory that the more older brothers a man has the more likely he is to be gay (because his mother's body will attack his Y chromosome in the womb and try to turn him into a woman) does not account for lesbians, nor state how this will turn the child into a homosexual.  The theory held by the majority of psychiatrists from Freud until the 1960s was that homosexuality was caused by a distant father-son relationship, or a distant mother-daughter relationship.  To simplify it into one sentance, f the child did not get the same sex interaction normally provided by these relationships, they begin to crave it, which, at puberty, can become sexualized.

Now, even if homosexuality is genetic, what of it?  People are born kleptomaniacs, or pathological liars, or clinical psychopaths.  Do we excuse their thievery, or their lies?  We do, and should, understand it, but we fully expect them to try to overcome their urges.  It states over and over again in the Bible, no matter how much our current society may find it distasteful, that homosexuality is a sin.  We can not argue with the word of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2008 - 9:52PM #17
xLivinglifEx
I have gay friends so i think that it's wrong for the government to ban gay marriages because we shouldn't punish who they are. There really is nothing unsual about it. It's like straight people loving the opposite sex. We are drawn to those people. It's ot something you could help if you were gay or a lesbian. I agree that homosexuality isn't a sin.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2008 - 9:53PM #18
xLivinglifEx
I have gay friends so i think that it's wrong for the government to ban gay marriages because we shouldn't punish who they are. There really is nothing unsual about it. It's like straight people loving the opposite sex. We are drawn to those people. It's ot something you could help if you were gay or a lesbian. I agree that homosexuality isn't a sin.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2008 - 9:53PM #19
xLivinglifEx
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2008 - 2:15AM #20
marsaco
I cannot say that I agree with your statements "it is not a sin to be gay", nor do i believe your statement "you are born with your sexuality" is valid.

Here are reasons I believe that no one can be born with sexuality.
1) If Puberty refers to the process of physical changes by which a child's body becomes an adult body capable of reproduction, and an infant is not capable of reproduction because they have not experience puberty, nor do they have hormones that trigger sexuality mentally or physically, how can an innocent infant be born sexually attracted to anything? Can infants grasp the concept of sex? Also, it makes since that a penis is meant for a vagina. I'm sure you know the result of the two canoodling together...

2) Another reason I do not believe a person is born into sexuality is due to free will. Free will is a person's ability to conciously have control over their choices and their actions. To predetermine an infants sexuality, when they have not yet been given the chance to consciously make such a choice on who they want to have sex with, is to take away an aspect of their free will. God gave us the free will to do other things, why take this one away?

3) Also, even if a male or a female were supposedly "born" with the sexuality of the other sex, their behavior is not justafiable by nature, and human behavior (as im sure you know) is not neccessarily justifiable and sinless in God's eyes just because it is in our nature. Just because certain behaviors or actions happen in nature, does neccessarily mean that it is moral or without sin. "Infanticide, patricide, suicide, gender bias, and substance abuse - are all to be found in various animal species." Ethics and  morality is about showing strength above the weaknesses human nature, not trying to copy it. Ofcourse I have many other factual and logical reasons why a person cannot be born gay, but goodness, that would TOTALLY take so long.

From a Christian perspective, the Bible in both the Old and New Testaments condemns homosexual behavior:
Lev. 18:22) "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."

Lev. 20:13) "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them"

Rom. 1:26-28) "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. 28And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper."

You also contradict yourself when you claim that "homosexuality is not a sin", yet on the other hand you feel that gay marriage is wrong because it is "not supported by the scripture". If your logic for not supporting gay marriage is based on scripture, how is it logical to proclaim homosexuality unsinful when in the Scripture, it clearly states homosexualty as a sin?

I do, however, agree that no person, no matter their race, sexual orientation, or gender, ought not to be mistreated because of it. I believe that all people are the children of God, and that we should extend the same love and forgiveness as God has done for us. Gay bashing is unacceptable in any case, and how can anyone cast the first stone when they too have sinned? like, come on, right?

In America, I see the hypocrisy of the democratic system. On one hand we're fighting for equality and freedom, while giving us rights to have eqality and freedom. Heck, we even have restictions to protect our freedoms. LOL!
I see homosexual marriage and homosexual rights justifiable by the American law, why not give them their freedom and equality? Although God gives us our freedom and loves us all, that doesn't mean what we do is right by the law of God, nor does he neccessarily love our actions.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook