Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
6 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2008 - 6:43PM #1
CatholicGuy777
All right, here's the name of the game.  Don't quote me the Chatecism or Scripture (directly).  Tell me what your thoughts are on homosexuality, where the sin (if there is sin) is, how you would treat someone who is gay/lesbian.

My thoughts:

It is not a sin to be gay.  I believe that you are born with your sexuality.  You do not choose it, circumstances do not dictate it, you are not "raised" to be gay or straight.  Therefor, there is no sin in homosexuality.  The reason behind Scripture's condemnation of homosexual activity is traced back to the sancity of Marriage and the gift of sex.  I believe that sex is reserved for marriage, and that only marriage can express/build on sexual activity.  The sin that homosexuals engage in (because they can not marry) is the same as heterosexual activity (here meaning sex, masturbation, contraceptives, etc) outside of marriage (not to say that masturbation, contraceptives, etc. are sanctioned within marriage).  I believe that gay persons can not marry because gay marriage is not supported by Scripture.  I see gays and lesbians as my Brothers and Sisters in Christ.  Under no circumstance should unjust (here meaning name calling, beatings, killing, theft, outcasting, etc) persecution is to be expressly condemned and discouraged.  Gay people are equal in human dignity to straight people. Period. End of story.

Now, that is my opinion.  That is where I stand.  I want to know where you stand.  If you agree with me, fine, say it in your own words.  If you don't agree with me, let's have a conversation about it.  We talked this subject to death on the old bnet, and now that there are new members, we may do well to discuss it anew.

Pax et bonum,
Scott
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2008 - 3:18PM #2
Runecaster95
I agree with you, Scott. The only thing that I have to add is to do with the celibate lifestyle that gay people are called to embrace. Knowing how to do something is just as important as knowing what to do in the first place, and celibacy is often a tremendous stumbling block for many people to accept (no matter whether they are gay or straight). As someone who has known that she is called to be a nun from the age of nine or ten, I feel a special fellowship with Catholics who are leading celibate lives for whatever reason. I always take care to impress on people who ask me about it (usually non-Catholics) that being celibate isn't like being a second-class citizen, and that celibacy can be just as enriching as marriage.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2008 - 6:28PM #3
idunnoknow
I also believe that homosexuality isn't a sin.  it isn't a choice, so there is no reason to be condemned for it.  I think that gay marriages should be allowed so that everyone can make their own choice about who they want to be with, and not be held by restrictions.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2008 - 9:19PM #4
Sean
First I would like to say that Sigmund Frued is a little outdated in most regards to psychology today. Yes I agree that homosexuality is not a sin.Sex should be between two consenting people who are mature enough to make that decision and have genuine love for each other regardless oof them being married or not. I also think homosexuals should be allowed to marry. Here are a few reasons:
1. Happy argues that marriage is an institution for hetrosexuals only. This is not the case. We live in a pluralistic soceity that garuntees seperation of church and state. Therefor just because your religion goes against it doesnt mean can deny the right because not all religions define marriage in such a way.
2. The next argument is that we are to be fruitful and multiply. Well then I guess infertile heterosexuals are not allowed to marry correct? Also the percentages of gays in the human species is very low and would not make much of an impact on the population.

PS: I apoligize for all of my spelling mistakes.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2008 - 2:00PM #5
*TheAmberRose*
Ay-ay to that!
I have that conversation with people nearly every day. My mom has been with her partner for eight years now, and l've lived with them for four. They are amazing people and, honestly, we are no different than any other family (besides the fact that we constantly have to manuever around the law so that if anything happens, we can stay together...Of course it's all legal, but none the less...we shouldn't have to do that.) and we love each other greatly. My mothers loves God, and I know that God loves my mothers...I just wish that everyone else could see past who they choose to love. It's the same with my cousin... he moved to Canada to get married to his partner and I miss him like KRAZY. Now I never get to see him. I used to see him all the time, now I'm lucky if I see him once a year. I haven't seen him in 4.
SO...I totally agree with you in every way.
It hurts when people talk badly of this, because I love my mothers with all my heart.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 07, 2008 - 4:36PM #6
Diarmuid
Oooooo...do we have heretics here?
^  ^
JK...sorry...I'll leave you guys alone now, but I couldn't resist.

ETA:
Whao...I actually read some of the posts. As a...uh..non-Catholic, I would like to say that Freud was a total CRACKPOT!!!! A psycho, who saw everything connected to sex. He was an idiot. An IDIOT! That's not an opinion, you just have to look at his work to realize it....ugh. I don't believe you would help yourself any refering to him.

I would like to say, as a bisexual, you cannot help who you are attracted to, sure you can choose who you give in to with that attraction, but seeing as I am a total...like...hedonist, or something...I'll screw whoever I want, thank you, and no one is going to stop me...well..except for that person...cuz that would be rape. Ugh...I'm sooo bored.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 08, 2008 - 1:23PM #7
MrContemplative
i couldn't help from keeping out of this argument any longer.

so here's my view: like so many, i believe that homosexuality and hetersexuality are a genetic thing. However, like many other genetic things, this can be worn down, and eventually tossed away, and you can then flip to the other side.

look hard enough and you will see that this is the truth.

P.S.: This applies not only to sexuality but to all aspects of life, like capitalism and communism, or christianity and paganism.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2008 - 4:33PM #8
Adam_Kratt
[QUOTE=Runecaster95;365810]I agree with you, Scott. The only thing that I have to add is to do with the celibate lifestyle that gay people are called to embrace. Knowing how to do something is just as important as knowing what to do in the first place, and celibacy is often a tremendous stumbling block for many people to accept (no matter whether they are gay or straight). As someone who has known that she is called to be a nun from the age of nine or ten, I feel a special fellowship with Catholics who are leading celibate lives for whatever reason. I always take care to impress on people who ask me about it (usually non-Catholics) that being celibate isn't like being a second-class citizen, and that celibacy can be just as enriching as marriage.[/QUOTE]

Gays and Lesbians are not called on to be celibate. Haven't Christians learned from all of the children raped and molested by ministers due to the celibacy issue.

Love is love. it is natural many animals and plants practice homosexual sex.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2008 - 4:42PM #9
Adam_Kratt
[QUOTE=Sean;413502]First I would like to say that Sigmund Frued is a little outdated in most regards to psychology today. Yes I agree that homosexuality is not a sin.Sex should be between two consenting people who are mature enough to make that decision and have genuine love for each other regardless oof them being married or not. I also think homosexuals should be allowed to marry. Here are a few reasons:
1. Happy argues that marriage is an institution for hetrosexuals only. This is not the case. We live in a pluralistic soceity that garuntees seperation of church and state. Therefor just because your religion goes against it doesnt mean can deny the right because not all religions define marriage in such a way.
2. The next argument is that we are to be fruitful and multiply. Well then I guess infertile heterosexuals are not allowed to marry correct? Also the percentages of gays in the human species is very low and would not make much of an impact on the population.

PS: I apoligize for all of my spelling mistakes.[/QUOTE]

Native Americans had people called "two spirits" who were gay and lesbians. The Hindus had the tritiya-prakriti or the third sex.. i.e gays and lesbians. even transgenderism is recognized in the hijra's. In Africa also homosexuality was part of the shamans.

And lets not forget about David and Jonathan a Biblical example of a Gay relationship.

even inthe Christian text we see that the word translated in the encounter between Jesus and the Roman Soldier, indicates that the servant was actually the Soldier younger same sex partner. Jesus didnt rebuke either of them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2008 - 10:41AM #10
cassieann07
[QUOTE=Adam_Kratt;598759]Gays and Lesbians are not called on to be celibate. Haven't Christians learned from all of the children raped and molested by ministers due to the celibacy issue.

Love is love. it is natural many animals and plants practice homosexual sex.[/QUOTE]

Yes, love is love, but it is not the emotional feeling that the church states is wrong. It is the physical one like the first post points out very nicely I must say.

Leviticus 20:13 NIV: (New International Version) "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Gays and lesbians are called to be celibate by God, at least this is what the ***church believes. (I'm not saying everyone does, this is our church's teaching) This verse clearly states that acting on it will produce great consequences. With that said though, this "celibacy issue" is not what "caused" the rape and molestation of many children. It was something in those people minds, you can call it Satan, evil, or even a mental disorder that caused them to act in such a manner. But it was something in themselves that caused such an evil act to occur, not their vow of celibacy. If you want to blame celibacy on the fact that a minister does this then I guess we can blame marriage if a non minister does it as well huh...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook