Switch to Forum Live View Hello, just wondering what everyone thinks about this...
5 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2008 - 11:14PM #1
riverine14
As I sit back and think of all the holiday stuff that has pagan roots, it's interesting to me how many people don't think about it and aren't even aware of it.  In fact, it seems pretty sad to me that so many people are ignorant of the roots of a lot of things.  They just go where they're told and believe what they're told.  And then, this is the part that really annoys me, they try to defend out right lies that they've been told about such and such without actually bothering to do the research!!!!!!!!!! I guess I reall shouldn't be surprised.  People are sheeple.  (Sheep follow the herder right?  Get it?  Courtesey of my english teacher.)  They believe what they are told and are lazy on top of it too!  What has the world come to?
he he that was dramatic
Blessed Be all, hopefully you or your parents aren't losing your jobs at the holday season
Riverine
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2008 - 5:41PM #2
Diarmuid
In my opinion, it doesn't really matter if many of the holiday traditions have pagan roots, the holiday itself (despite the descent from ancient polytheistic practices) is Christian for most now.

Besides, there are plenty of religions that are products of a number of beliefs.

Even (if not, especially) Wicca. Wicca is a loose mix of beliefs and practices from Ceremonial magic traditions, Christianity, Freemasonry, and scant amounts of folk magic and cultural mythologies. But, those practices are now recognized as Wiccan within Wicca. It is the same with Christianity and other Abrahamic religions. They have been influenced greatly by other Mediterranean religions as well as the traditions of each area they have spread to. But those traditions are now recognized as Christian, Jewish, and Muslim within their respective religions, not the religions in which they originated.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 10:25PM #3
zIxI
i agree with both of you to some extents. a day of worship, etc. is a day of worship. it still holds the same meaning of power even if it's been handed around a lot. but i also believe in knowing about the past. but that could just be because i'm a complete history nerd. i get so annoyed when people ask fairly obvious questions about history. i feel that you should know something about the holiday you're celebrating. i mean from a christian view there's no reason for chicks and rabbits at easter. and yet there they are! it's good to know something about what you're doing while you worship/celebrate.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook