7 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2008 - 5:19PM #1
Beliefnetsabee
Has anyone been a positive influence on you spiritually? Who is it and why?
I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2008 - 6:28PM #2
*TheAmberRose*
Well, I'd have to say that it was my boyfriend that got me to think about anything. I've been through some hard stuff and sometimes it was really hard to believe someone was there...but I always did. I just never held my ground.
It's the way that he words things...made me think about what I said when I talked about my spirituality.
What got me thinking about spirituality was when my friend commited suicide.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2008 - 11:26PM #3
sarahfoxbear
One of my best friends has helped me a lot in figuring out what I believe and the path I should take. During middle school, I tried out Christianity, but it just didn't feel right. This past year, I've been trying to figure things out. I met Alex through Drama. He was someone that I never really spoke to, but I felt like I could trust and rely on him. We had Sociology together, and so finally started talking. He's a New Agist, and he introduced me to it. He finally was someone I could discuss my beliefs with, because they were similar to his. (I live in a small, white, Protestant town, so most of my friends wouldn't be able to understand where I'm coming from-- they're all Christian or Atheist.) I'm starting to understand myself as a spiritual being with his help, and I'll forever be grateful for it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2008 - 3:20PM #4
EmmyJoy
Yes! My grandmother! My mom doesn't go to church or cares about religion or anything. My grandmother takes me to church and is very generous and taught me to be generous, too. She made me go to a Catholic school and gave me more faith than I ever had.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2008 - 3:20PM #5
EmmyJoy
Yes! My grandmother! My mom doesn't go to church or cares about religion or anything. My grandmother takes me to church and is very generous and taught me to be generous, too. She made me go to a Catholic school and gave me more faith than I ever had.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2008 - 11:15AM #6
ritarae
Yes, my aunt was a role model to me. She has taught me to really care about what the good book says and to really be on top of my stuff with christ. She influncened me to get up there on the church stage and take part in a christian play, and later to join choir. She has taught me that God thinks highly of me, even though my selfesteem is really low. May she rest in ;peace now, and thankyou for asking this question. I really needed to let this out.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2009 - 12:58PM #7
ShadyWilbury
My spiritual role models are, in order of "discovery" or meeting:

George Harrison (the former Beatle...although I dislike referring to him in that way, because he was intent on shedding that notion from 31st December 1969, when The Beatles legally ceased to exist, until November 29th, 2001, when he left his body for a far better place.)

Chris Thomas (a dear friend of mine from the official George board, she taught me a heck of a lot about courage, strength and just general life, through her inspiring battle with cancer. Unfortunately, she too left her body on April 8, 2007.)

Paramahansa Yogananda (his book "Autobiography of a Yogi" was something my Mum picked up from a bookshop in Glastonbury, UK, without realising the importance of it...it's great!) Since discovering Yogananda, I've become far more interested in chanting japa in the proper way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2009 - 12:58PM #8
ShadyWilbury
My spiritual role models are, in order of "discovery" or meeting:

George Harrison (the former Beatle...although I dislike referring to him in that way, because he was intent on shedding that notion from 31st December 1969, when The Beatles legally ceased to exist, until November 29th, 2001, when he left his body for a far better place.)

Chris Thomas (a dear friend of mine from the official George board, she taught me a heck of a lot about courage, strength and just general life, through her inspiring battle with cancer. Unfortunately, she too left her body on April 8, 2007.)

Paramahansa Yogananda (his book "Autobiography of a Yogi" was something my Mum picked up from a bookshop in Glastonbury, UK, without realising the importance of it...it's great!) Since discovering Yogananda, I've become far more interested in chanting japa in the proper way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2009 - 6:37PM #9
Liz_Ramirez
I'd say my friend Elizabeth has helped me mature.. She's two years older, but she's always been very spiritually mature for her age. She made me see that no matter the past, we can always scrape the dirt off of our knees and start over...
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook