Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Top 20 Gay-Friendly Colleges
7 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2007 - 12:34PM #1
aylmer_j
From Princetonreview.com, the top 20 gay-friendly college campuses in the United States. I have to admit, I've never heard of half of them, although as luck would have it, I did apply to #12 entirely unaware of it's standing. #1 is apparently in Minnesota--who would have guessed?
But what about, say, Smith College, which I've heard is the lesbian capital of the world? Or UC Berkeley? At any rate, here's the list:

1  Macalester College     
2  New College of Florida     
3  New York University     
4  Simon's Rock College of Bard     
5  College of the Atlantic     
6  Stanford University     
7  Wellesley College     
8  Mount Holyoke College     
9  Bennington College     
10 Emerson College
11 Sarah Lawrence College
12 Bryn Mawr College     
13 Eugene Lang College--The New School for Liberal Arts   
14 Beloit College
15 Hampshire College
16 Harvey Mudd College     
17 Lawrence University     
18 Grinnell College     
19 Swarthmore College
20 Cornell College

...seniors, have you applied (or considered applying) to any of these places? Just wondering!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2007 - 6:16PM #2
Melinda88
I applied to three of the women's colleges listed and I considered applying to another college on the list.

I find it hard to believe that Stanford, bastion of West Coast conservatism, would be so gay-friendly.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2007 - 6:31PM #3
Melinda88
I've also heard of Smith as being famous for lesbianness. I had not heard of the top two schools at all. As for UC Berkeley, although the city of Berkeley will never cease to be political, left-leaning, and active, I think Cal is becoming more defined by its academic competition, being, not to stereotype, the dream of many conservative Asian parents. But in any case I would certainly consider it more gay-friendly than Stanford University.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2007 - 6:16PM #4
Melinda88
I applied to three of the women's colleges listed and I considered applying to another college on the list.

I find it hard to believe that Stanford, bastion of West Coast conservatism, would be so gay-friendly.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2007 - 6:31PM #5
Melinda88
I've also heard of Smith as being famous for lesbianness. I had not heard of the top two schools at all. As for UC Berkeley, although the city of Berkeley will never cease to be political, left-leaning, and active, I think Cal is becoming more defined by its academic competition, being, not to stereotype, the dream of many conservative Asian parents. But in any case I would certainly consider it more gay-friendly than Stanford University.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2008 - 10:22AM #6
Motherhealer13
Hi AylmerJ,

I haven't been here since the change of Bnet, but here I am now.

Remember my DD went to Univ Of Tennessee and played softball?  Well, b/c of the Coaches being Homophobic, she is now at CSULB Cal State Univ of Long Beach. 

Long Beach is a fantastic University, and welcomed my DD w/open arms.  Of course it helps that she's a gifted Softball player.  They don't even bat an eye that she's gay.

There  are great supportive groups on campus, and a club too.

Yes, I know it's Cali, but there are still some Colleges that have problems, just not so many in Cali.  Tams
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2008 - 9:15AM #7
Motherhealer13
They haven't yet begun the season, but the Pre-season against some nearby colleges looked promising. 

Of course, I've got to say it isn't Tennessee(thank god)but that's only b/c that coach was barbaric, intimidating, and a dictator. 

The CSULB coach is a good, strong minded lady, who is working these girls one-step at a time, and working on their weakness to make them strong.

We will see how well the girls are prepared in Feb, we go to Hawaii, Las Vegas, and San Diego Tournies.  Cya, Tams
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2008 - 4:48PM #8
aylmer_j
Good to see you again, Motherhealer. I'm glad to hear that your daughter is enjoying CSU Long Beach, and seems to have found her niche there. I'd imagine that it's a much better atmosphere for gay kids than the University of Tennessee. So how's the softball team doing?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2008 - 9:20AM #9
Motherhealer13
forgot to say,

We tried to bring a Lawsuit against UT with the Center for Gay & Lesbian center, but they backed off after a 7mth investigation. 

They said even though there was a lot of testimony about the treatment of my daughter, the harrassment, their singling her out, they didn't have enough proof that it was a GAY thing. 

And that the Univ had more resources, and might come after them, and say it was b/c my daughter spoke out to them and spoke back at them in protection of her friends.

So, we will have to back off, try to learn forgiveness, and just "Let it go".  That's where that bit ends.  Tams
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2008 - 2:30AM #10
Melinda88
I really wonder how they made up this list. The list according to the Advocate seems mainly based on money and resources (like LGBT centers), whereas this is supposed to be student attitudes... but how do you measure that?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook