Switch to Forum Live View Christians and Halloween
7 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2007 - 11:15PM #1
Beliefnetsabee
Do you think it's OK for Christian's to celebrate Halloween? Would it be better for Christian families to find something else to do on that day?
I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 9:30PM #2
Rizu-Mizu
HI!
I think it depends on what your celebrating. To me, celebrating means eating birthday cake,(beacuse my dad's birthday is on Halloween) eating pizza, and trick-or-treating with my friends. To the person next to me, it may be something TOTALLY different. It depends on your point of view. If you think it would be offensive to some people, and you respect their feelings, then do what you think would be best. [ couldn't figure out a good way to word that....]

~~~Rizu-MIzu~~~
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2007 - 1:41AM #3
EmeraldGuardian
As I said in the Catholic section, Halloween is just like Christmas in origin and can be completely secular. Enjoy it for what it is! If you want to bring a Christian thought into it, put it this way: Halloween is already meant to mock that which scares us. You can use it as a celebration of your faith in God's protection from all that is evil and fearful. Eat junk, dress up as monsters, anime characters, whatever, just have fun!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2008 - 11:51PM #4
noisytarli
Here's a good blog post about this: http://outofthecocoon.squarespace.com/m … oblog.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2008 - 5:14PM #5
Diarmuid
The Catholic Church adopted the holiday as All Hallow's Eve.
Today, commercial Halloween has no meaning, but is just that. Commercialized celebration.
As a Gaelic Polytheist, for me Halloween is called "Samhain", literally "end of Summer" in Irish Gaelic. The holiday originated as a Celtic holiday celebrating the beginning of the "Dark" half of the year, and therefore the New Year. This was also a time to gather in all crops left in the fields, for after Samhain, everything left out belonged to the nature spirits. The commercialized holiday of today is laced with much of this symbolism, with "trick-or-treating" (Pagan tradition), and dressing up in costume (Pagan tradition).
Anyways, my point is, if you are uncomfortable celebrating a holiday that was originally Pagan, then just don't do it.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook