Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

3 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2015 - 5:57PM #1
Nino0814
www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/atlanta-pros...

I just read Will Storr's "The Unpersuadables".  Will Storr makes a good journalistic inquiry into how we believed our own stories and the power of built in bias.   

After reading this news about Reverend Dollar, I was tempted to believe that he is a liar and his follower are fools.  I recommend the book if you are tempted to think that way as well.   
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2015 - 11:45PM #2
Jupiter6208

The Rev Dollar? lol. Yeah people who follow this charlatan deserves to lose all thier money.....

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2015 - 8:26AM #3
Nino0814

Mar 13, 2015 -- 11:45PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

The Rev Dollar? lol. Yeah people who follow this charlatan deserves to lose all thier money.....

Is he really a charlatan or is he himself duped by his own beliefs?  In the 1980s I knew many people who believed in various forms of the prosperity gospel.  They followed teachers such as Kenneth Hagin and Kenneth Copeland.  Their interpretation of the scriptures were odd but they were not irrational, nor were they ignorant.  Kenneth Copeland is still on TV preaching this doctrine.   

IMO the prosperity gospel is one of many attempts by Christians to answer the theological problem of suffering and evil.   If God is all powerful, and all good, then why do people suffer and why does evil sometimes prevail.   Christian theologians and teachers have wrestled with this question.   The "prosperity teachers" accept the traditional image of God (all powerful and good), the Fall of Adam (the curse), and a literal Satan that opposes God.   They expound on this with a Fall myth that leaves Satan "legally" in control of the earth.  Jesus' death and resurrection fooled Satan and created an opportunity for Adam's seed to get out of their "legal bondage" to Satan.   Believers need to claim / demand their pre-Fall rule of the earth (prosperity).   

These people are no different that any of us.  We can get lost in our explanations of "the way things are" that we fail to see the obvious.  What seem obvious to you and I about Reverend Dollar is based on our own view, which like theirs is one of many views.  

I am not a Relativist.  I do believe that there is truth and to some degree it can be know. IMO the point of view that make the fullest use of the evidence, and has the best ability to predict future outcomes is the closest to The Truth.  

Followers of the prosperity gospel are not super rich or healthier than the general public, as one should expect if their view is correct.  I am sure their apologists have an answer for this anomaly but IMO it shows that their doctrine is false. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook