Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Netanyahu and Moses
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2015 - 7:33PM #1
Nino0814

In his speech today Netanyahu included a quote from Deuteronomy 31.  Netanyahu reminded those assembled of Moses' image in the gallery, "“Facing me right up there in the gallery, overlooking all of us … is the image of Moses.  Moses led our people from slavery to the gates of the Promised Land.”  He then quoted Moses' words " Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them".  

The "them" that Moses was referring to where the current occupants of the land of Canaan.  Moses and Yahweh were telling the Israelites to not only take the land from them but to utterly destroy them.  

"And it came to pass, when Israel had made an end of slaying all the inhabitants of Ai in the field, in the wilderness wherein they chased them, and when they were all fallen on the edge of the sword, until they were consumed, that all the Israelites returned unto Ai, and smote it with the edge of the sword. And so it was, that all that fell that day, both of men and women, were twelve thousand, even all the men of Ai." 

In other words,  Israel wiped the inhabitants of Canaan "off the face of the earth".   Sounds a lot like what the Iranians said should happen to Israel.  Were the Iranians really calling for the slaughter of all Israelis? Perhaps not: www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checke... 
No matter what the Iranians meant by "wiping Israel off the map" it still is a hideous statement. 

I do think it is ironic that Netanyahu used that particular quote "from Moses" encouraging the Israelites to commit genocide.  How many people listening to the speech knew the context of Moses' words?  How many who agree with Netanyahu would get the irony?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2015 - 9:15PM #2
RJMcElwain

I like Netanyahu, and I strongly support Israel. OTOH, I'd like to see Israel and the other middle east countries talk more. And it would be helpful if our idiots in Washington would focus a lot more on diplomacy than war with everyone. Frequently, it seems we're the number one trouble makers over there.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2015 - 1:22PM #3
Douglas_macneill

Wolf! Wolf!--Bibi Netanyahu on Iran's nuclear (weapons?) program.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook