Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
3 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2014 - 11:28AM #1
RJMcElwain
The attached states the case with great clarity.

blackandwhiteandinlivingcolor.com/2014/12/04/how-do-i-pray-when-icantbreathe-theology-in-the-shadow-of-mike-brown-and-eric-garner/
Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2014 - 2:37PM #2
maplewood
I think the statement "I can't breathe!" is descriptive of our entire society, and will possibly become the anthem of an entire generation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2014 - 6:21PM #3
RJMcElwain

Dec 5, 2014 -- 2:37PM, maplewood wrote:

I think the statement "I can't breathe!" is descriptive of our entire society, and will possibly become the anthem of an entire generation.

I agree. I'm sick and tired of being smothered by all levels of government. Everyone, particularly politicians, seems to think they know better how I should run my life.

But that gets away from the current issue. I think Eric Garner was killed by a cop for no reason other than the cop was having a bad day, and his superior told him and his fellow officers to go after these little guys trying to make a buck.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2014 - 12:16PM #4
Dutch777

Dec 5, 2014 -- 2:37PM, maplewood wrote:

Wonderful to hear from you again, Maplewood.  Bountiful blessings upon you and your diaconal vocation.

The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2014 - 7:23PM #5
Nino0814

Viktor Frankl detailed the horrific treatment of Jews in the Nazi concentration camps by fellow Jews, and black slaves could be as brutal as whites to other slaves.  A person who perpetuates racism does not need to be a racist.   There was a black woman police sergeant present when Eric Garner was suffocated.  IMO this is an example of institutional racism, similar to the injustice in prison sentencing for crack versus cocaine possession.  The problem is complex.  There are no easy solutions, but we need to address it now. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2014 - 2:53PM #6
maplewood
Thanks, Dutch!  Good to see you're still around.  We are becoming a people increasingly reliant on violence to get our way - domestically and internationally.  It is, IMO, an extension of the ethos of empire that runs the nation.  Police are no longer local law enforcement, but occupying armed forces, like Romans in 1st century Palestine.  The cycle must stop.  As a people, we can no longer learn to breath underwater.

(Personal note: Dutch - I am just short of six years in my entire journey to ordination, which happened last month.  I must admit that it was longer than I ever expected and, over the past year or so, concluded that the length of time was a good thing. A year in discernment, 3 years in ESM, 17 weeks in CPE, and a year in what we call "field experience", where we are assigned to a parish not our own.  I am now assigned to the parish where I did my field work, not back to my home parish.  And my class of deacons are being given diocesan-wide ministries to pursue, not only pastoral duties at our assigned parishes.  It's been quite a journey! :) )
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2014 - 4:13PM #7
RJMcElwain

Dec 10, 2014 -- 2:53PM, maplewood wrote:

....................... I am now assigned to the parish where I did my field work, not back to my home parish. And my class of deacons are being given diocesan-wide ministries to pursue, not only pastoral duties at our assigned parishes. It's been quite a journey! :) )

Diocese of Missouri or West Missouri?  Just curious. Smile

Robert J. McElwain

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2014 - 7:02PM #8
Dutch777

Dec 10, 2014 -- 2:53PM, maplewood wrote:

Thanks, Dutch! Good to see you're still around. We are becoming a people increasingly reliant on violence to get our way - domestically and internationally. It is, IMO, an extension of the ethos of empire that runs the nation. Police are no longer local law enforcement, but occupying armed forces, like Romans in 1st century Palestine. The cycle must stop. As a people, we can no longer learn to breath underwater. (Personal note: Dutch - I am just short of six years in my entire journey to ordination, which happened last month. I must admit that it was longer than I ever expected and, over the past year or so, concluded that the length of time was a good thing. A year in discernment, 3 years in ESM, 17 weeks in CPE, and a year in what we call "field experience", where we are assigned to a parish not our own. I am now assigned to the parish where I did my field work, not back to my home parish. And my class of deacons are being given diocesan-wide ministries to pursue, not only pastoral duties at our assigned parishes. It's been quite a journey! :) )

Your journey to the ordained diaconate has been a long one, yet your journey has just begun.  May the Holy Spirit bless and guide you in all things.  Do stay with us and share your experiences and adventures with us.  Are you in the hill country of the Ozarks?

The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2014 - 7:35PM #9
Dutch777

The police have gotten an unfair treatment in the media of late.  They put their lives on the line to protect all citizens of all communities, and let's never forget that.

In the case under discussion, the culprit has a 31 arrest rap sheet; he was no choirboy.  He was caught selling illegal cigarettes and resisted arrest.  The police used standard and approved take-down tactics but the arm of one officer slipped momentarily during the struggle and contacted the culprit's throat briefly.  The Grand Jury returned the "no bill" verdict, in keeping with the facts.  The culprit was tall and obese and used his size to resist arrest.

Certain self appointed "community activists" would do well to advise their constituencies to behave like first class citizens in order to be treated like first class citizens.  Don't engage in criminal conduct; don't use filthy and abusive language toward the police and other legitimate authority figures; don't resist arrest.  Bottom line: behave and speak like ladies and gentlemen and you'll be treated accordingly.  If you behave and speak in a civilized manner, you'll be treated in a civilized manner.

It's all too apparent that some of these "community leaders" are self-aggrendizing opportunists more interested in getting on the 5 p.m. news and promoting themselves than in doing any real good in their communities.  They are fanning the flames of anarchy for their own petty interests.

The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2014 - 9:40PM #10
slu_magoo

Dec 11, 2014 -- 7:35PM, Dutch777 wrote:

The police have gotten an unfair treatment in the media of late.  They put their lives on the line to protect all citizens of all communities, and let's never forget that.

Awww, man.  I'm with you on much of your post -- but not this part.  The job of the police--like the military--is to protect and serve the interests of the state.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook