Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
3 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2014 - 11:12AM #11
maplewood
Robert: Diocese of Missouri, HQ in St. Louis.
Dutch: Yes, we still live on our ten acres in the Ozarks, called Windy Hill.  And thank you for your kind words.

I think the incidents regarding Mr. Garner, et al, are indicitive of the larger issue of black people in our society, particularly the criminal justice system, regardless of the facts of individual cases.

According to ProPublica, black men are 21 times more likely to die by police officers than white men of similar demographics.

"Young black males in recent years were at a far greater risk of being shot dead by police than their white counterparts – 21 times greater, according to a ProPublica analysis of federally collected data on fatal police shootings."
ProPublica, Oct 10, 2014.

It's been their experience that, no matter how you conduct yourself, you are 21 times more likely not to make it home that night if your black rather than white.  That must change.  They do not see the police force as a ones who serve and protect, but occupy and control.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2014 - 2:25PM #12
maplewood
If you want to know how my parish was involved in the actions here in St. Louis, here is a link to our FB page.  You will find a four-part series of posts entitled "Sanctuary Church". I hope you find it informative.

www.facebook.com/towergrovechurch?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2014 - 4:23PM #13
RJMcElwain

Dec 11, 2014 -- 9:40PM, slu_magoo wrote:

Dec 11, 2014 -- 7:35PM, Dutch777 wrote:

The police have gotten an unfair treatment in the media of late.  They put their lives on the line to protect all citizens of all communities, and let's never forget that.

Awww, man.  I'm with you on much of your post -- but not this part.  The job of the police--like the military--is to protect and serve the interests of the state.

I've heard most of those words as official statements about the role of police. And most people are not aware of that. There is a Supreme Court ruling on it somewhere.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2014 - 4:31PM #14
RJMcElwain

Dec 12, 2014 -- 2:25PM, maplewood wrote:

If you want to know how my parish was involved in the actions here in St. Louis, here is a link to our FB page. You will find a four-part series of posts entitled "Sanctuary Church". I hope you find it informative. www.facebook.com/towergrovechurch?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Map,

If you were involved in the activities of that moment, you may have met one of our clergy. Marcus Haley. He was there helping and bringing  supplies from our Church.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2014 - 2:22PM #15
maplewood
Rbt: It is very possible.  I was up in Ferguson a couple of times, and spent most of my time in the Shaw neighborhood, "Site #2", you might say.  Another one of our parishes, St. Stephen's, was just about the only food pantry open in Ferguson for weeks.

May I address the police issue for a moment, please?  The fact that many police officers put their lives in danger to protect the city is not a reason to ignore/excuse bad policing when it occurs.  Like any other profession, bad actors need to be removed from the profession.  In addition, when the S.O.P. of policing is inherently bad, the standards and systems must change, just like when banking practices are bad or accounting practices or medical practices.  Part of the problem is when the poorly-operating profession refuses to reform and circles the wagons, as we see in a number of police departments.  On top of this, we have the extremely challenging situation in minority communities here in the States, both socially both economically. I think when we come to the support of the police, it must be done judiciously.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook