Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Wedding Bells in California for Same Sex Couples
11 months ago  ::  Jun 28, 2013 - 7:05PM #1
Stardove
Three judges on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that same-sex marriages can resume "effective immediately" in the state of California, a move the U.S. Supreme Court paved the way for this week.

California Attorney General Kamala Harris was already at San Francisco City Hall marrying same-sex couples, her press office said.

Prop 8: Gay marriages can resume in California, court rules

The U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday cleared the way for gay marriages to resume in California.

The court lifted its stay on an injunction which ordered state officials to stop enforcing Proposition 8. With the court's action, counties can now begin issuing same-sex marriage licenses.

A spokesman for the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals had originally said it would takes the court at least 25 days to act after a Supreme Court ruling. Immediately afterward, Gov. Jerry Brown ordered his public health agency to advise the state's counties to "begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples in California as soon as the 9th Circuit confirms the stay is lifted."

DOCUMENT: Court order dissolving stay

More at links.
Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 28, 2013 - 8:40PM #2
mainecaptain

Fantastic isn't it? Smile

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 28, 2013 - 9:06PM #3
DotNotInOz
Who'dathunkit only a little more than a decade ago?

Now, if more states will realize they look like human rights violators by refusing to marry same-sex couples...

I ain't holdin' my breath for Missouri, and I bet Stardove isn't for Texas, huh?
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 28, 2013 - 9:14PM #4
TemplarS

Congrats to the happy couple.

We'll know things have reached normality when a gay couple getting married isn't news.

Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 28, 2013 - 9:15PM #5
Svetlana

Oh, the hateful states know what they look like to others, and they don't care.  They believe that LGBT folk DESERVE to be denied rights, that they are not fully human or as perfect as the lawmakers.

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 28, 2013 - 9:28PM #6
mountain_man

Jun 28, 2013 -- 8:40PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Fantastic isn't it?

No! THis is awful. Now I will have to buy at least 4 wedding presents in the next year. And all that rravel time from here to the Bay Area, and the gas. I'll have to buy a suit and tie. I can't afford all this. Cool

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 28, 2013 - 10:03PM #7
Merope

Wow!  Just ... wow!

The female plaintiffs in the Prop 8 suit (pardon the expression, Mountain_Man :-) were married in San Francisco City Hall about 2 hours ago.  The California Attorney General officiated at their ceremony.  City Hall is open tonight till 8 PDT for issuance of marriage licenses and weddings; City Hall will also be open tomorrow and maybe through the entire weekend.  LOL one couple reportedly was at the gym on their respective treadmills when they heard the news that the stay had been lifted and weddings were taking place; they immediately left the gym and ran over to City Hall to get in line.  Gotta luv it.

In Los Angeles, the mayor officiated at a wedding - that may have been the wedding of the two male plaintiffs in the case, but I'm not sure.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 28, 2013 - 10:32PM #8
mountain_man

See! It's already started. Now I'm going to have to dress up more often. I HATE TIES!

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 28, 2013 - 10:40PM #9
mainecaptain

Jun 28, 2013 -- 9:28PM, mountain_man wrote:

Jun 28, 2013 -- 8:40PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Fantastic isn't it?

No! THis is awful. Now I will have to buy at least 4 wedding presents in the next year. And all that rravel time from here to the Bay Area, and the gas. I'll have to buy a suit and tie. I can't afford all this.

LOL I know, such problems Giggles

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 28, 2013 - 11:33PM #10
mountain_man

Jun 28, 2013 -- 10:40PM, mainecaptain wrote:

LOL I know, such problems Giggles

Seriously, I consider myself damn lucky to have such minor problems.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook