Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View SCOTUS: DOMA Is Unconstitutional re Differential Treatment of Married Same-Sex Couples
1 year ago  ::  Jun 26, 2013 - 10:12AM #1
TPaine
The link to the 5-4 decision written by Justice Kennedy can be found Here.
"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jun 26, 2013 - 10:17AM #2
Merope

From the opinion's syllabus:

"DOMA’s principal effect is to identify and make unequal a subset ofstate-sanctioned marriages. It contrives to deprive some couples married under the laws of their State, but not others, of both rights and responsibilities, creating two contradictory marriage regimeswithin the same State. It also forces same-sex couples to live as married for the purpose of state law but unmarried for the purpose offederal law, thus diminishing the stability and predictability of basicpersonal relations the State has found it proper to acknowledge and protect."

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jun 26, 2013 - 10:18AM #3
Merope

Justice Scalia is among the dissenters to the opinion and he is reading his dissent from the bench as I write.  (Much as Justice Ginsburg read her dissent from the bench in yesterday's Voting Rights Act case.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jun 26, 2013 - 10:22AM #4
Merope

Hard news story on this is here.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jun 26, 2013 - 10:26AM #5
rangerken

What will be a huge issue is that this decision does not apply to states that do NOT allow same sex marriage. So, for example, Texas, which does not honor same sex marriage, does NOT have to grant same sex married people equal marriage rights under Texas law, even though the same couples now have them under federal law.

This is going to be a mess in my opinion.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jun 26, 2013 - 10:32AM #6
rangerken

And... prop 8 is now defunct in California because the court sent it backdiown...lcomplicated legalese reasoning... but the end result is that prop 8 is gone, so same sex marriage is legal in California.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jun 26, 2013 - 11:04AM #7
Merope

By way of clarification, the Court did not strike down all of DOMA.  It only struck down the portion(s) that limit marriage to hetero couples.  So, basically - applying Amy Howe's analysis at SCOTUSblog - the law remains intact except that legally married same-sex couples must now be treated the same under federal law as legally married hetero couples.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jun 26, 2013 - 11:18AM #8
TemplarS

This is as I expected. 

The Court ruled narrowly in both cases.  So, victories for same-sex marriage, but not the final victory (a ruling that prohibiting same sex marriage is unconstitutional) that many wanted.

From this Court, however, it is probably as much as advocates of same-sex marriage could have hoped for.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jun 26, 2013 - 11:50AM #9
Merope

Obama on Twitter, courtesy of a Bloomberg LiveBlog:

Today's DOMA ruling is a historic step forward for #MarriageEquality. #LoveIsLove

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jun 26, 2013 - 12:49PM #10
DotNotInOz
I hope it's only a few years before a case arguing that preserving states' rights on this issue is separate-but-equal in another form.

Nevertheless, I'm amazed this country has gotten this far. I honestly didn't think I'd see any significant social changes such as a dozen U.S. states legalizing SSM in my lifetime.

I'm celebrating this small measure of progress with sincerest hopes it's a sign that sanity is beginning to prevail.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook