Post Reply
Page 1 of 23  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Next
Switch to Forum Live View "Is Wife-Beating Something that Women Worry About?"
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2013 - 4:41PM #1
CoolWarrior
Posts: 10,164

Are there really men as clueless as Matthews?


(I couldn't get the entire article to paste. Please go to the link for the rest of it.)


www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/04/chris-...


"Chris Matthews wondered aloud on Wednesday whether or not "wife beating" was something that women "really worry about."


Matthews was speaking to fellow MSNBC host Andrea Mitchell—who, ironically, he called "one of the great feminists of our time"—about the appearance by Joe Biden at an event honoring women's advocates. Earlier, he played a clip of Biden condemning violence against women. When Mitchell brought Biden up again, Matthews jumped in.


"Joe Biden has street cred with these women," Mitchell said. "Is that close to the bone, the idea of wife beating, or beaters?" Matthews said."

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2013 - 5:00PM #2
solfeggio
Posts: 9,474

I hadn't a clue who this Matthews fellow was, as we don't get MSNBC here, so I had to do some Googling to learn a bit about him.


At any rate, I see that Matthews was instrumental in getting Phil Donahue fired fromo MSNBC in 2003, and that was enough for me to dislike the guy.  We did get the Donahue programme years ago, and we always admired Phil greatly for his forthright way of talking to his guests and getting to the real issues of whatever was being discussed.


Then, at another source, there was a piece about how Matthews thinks racism is confined to white people.


And, if you dig a little deepr, you find that he voted for Bush in 2000 (!)


Finally, Progressive Media Watchdog group, Media Matters for America, named Matthews 'misinformer of the year' in 2005 after he made statements supportive of President Bush.


With a little digging you can find lots more.


So, it doesn't seem all that unusual that this jerk would wonder if women care if their partners knock them around a little.


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2013 - 5:05PM #3
CoolWarrior
Posts: 10,164

Solfeggio: thanks for the info. He used to have the rep of being fairly "liberal" but lately he seems to be leaning more and more right.


To me though Domestic Violence isn't really a political issue but a societal issue that can happen in any relationship in any social "stratum."


I was shocked by how little he seems to know about the subject. And I wonder if there are other men who are as clueless as he seems to be. I hope not.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2013 - 5:12PM #4
Erey
Posts: 19,171

I think wife beating used to be pretty common, more of the norm as in most wives got knocked around at some point.  It is increasingly less common now the rates have plumeted.  That might be what he is refering to.  Because from what I can see in my own life and in my own circles most women don't worry about violence from their husband or boyfriend because it has never happened to them. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2013 - 5:15PM #5
mountain_man
Posts: 40,292

Apr 4, 2013 -- 5:00PM, solfeggio wrote:

I hadn't a clue who this Matthews fellow was, as we don't get MSNBC here, so I had to do some Googling to learn a bit about him....


He's an idiot, but you found that out already. The guy has an ego equal to that of Trump.


Domestic violence, AKA "wife beating," is something women, and everyone else should worry about. That Matthews down plays it is further proof of his idiocy.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2013 - 5:27PM #6
CoolWarrior
Posts: 10,164

Apr 4, 2013 -- 5:12PM, Erey wrote:


I think wife beating used to be pretty common, more of the norm as in most wives got knocked around at some point.  It is increasingly less common now the rates have plumeted.  That might be what he is refering to.  Because from what I can see in my own life and in my own circles most women don't worry about violence from their husband or boyfriend because it has never happened to them. 





That''s sort of true but a lot of women do know about and know or have known women who were in that stuation.


It hasn't really lessened much contrary to what some might think.


What does happen more is that more women do not stick around for repeats because more women have financial independence now. But a lot of women don't and a lot of women are ashamed to admit that it happens, especially women who are married to professional and educated men and who think it is not happening to other women in their "group."


IMO more men are unfamiliar with this behavior because it does not often affect them directly. But as soon as a daughter or sister or mother is in that situation the men realize that it does and can happen to anyone.


BTW I am not saying that "all men" are unaware of this type of thing, just that more women are aware of it an d do take it into consideration when they are dating and looking for a partner.


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2013 - 5:41PM #7
Erey
Posts: 19,171

Apr 4, 2013 -- 5:27PM, CoolWarrior wrote:


Apr 4, 2013 -- 5:12PM, Erey wrote:


I think wife beating used to be pretty common, more of the norm as in most wives got knocked around at some point.  It is increasingly less common now the rates have plumeted.  That might be what he is refering to.  Because from what I can see in my own life and in my own circles most women don't worry about violence from their husband or boyfriend because it has never happened to them. 





That''s sort of true but a lot of women do know about and know or have known women who were in that stuation.


It hasn't really lessened much contrary to what some might think.


What does happen more is that more women do not stick around for repeats because more women have financial independence now. But a lot of women don't and a lot of women are ashamed to admit that it happens, especially women who are married to professional and educated men and who think it is not happening to other women in their "group."


IMO more men are unfamiliar with this behavior because it does not often affect them directly. But as soon as a daughter or sister or mother is in that situation the men realize that it does and can happen to anyone.


BTW I am not saying that "all men" are unaware of this type of thing, just that more women are aware of it an d do take it into consideration when they are dating and looking for a partner.


 




Actually the rates have indeed plumeted from the Bueru of Justice Stats -


 


From 1994 to 2010, the overall rate of intimate partner violence in the United States declined by 64%, from 9.8 victimizations per 1,000 persons age 12 or older to 3.6 per 1,000.


 


64% is a tremendous amount in about 15 years.


Of course most women know other women who have been involved in domestic violence.  I know that I do - none are still with their partners.  So I think that issue is still on the table but is much less of an issue for many women than it had been even 10-20 years ago. 


Women are indeed ashamed when domestic violence happens to them but women are not at all less inclined to talk about it or address the issue than they were before.  If anything women are more open and less tolerant of domestic violence if  it happens to them. 


 


It still happens, I know when I was dating more than 20 years ago there was alot more concern about choosing a partner that was not violent.  Today I think young women are a bit less concious about it because it is less of an issue (still an issue but just not as common).


I remember one of my friends about 15 years ago married and then divorced a man who never actually hit her but his angry outbursts led her to believe he probably would hit her one day.   Growing up during my time as a kid it was perfectly acceptable for men and women to rant and rave, pound things, throw things, etc.  Now that is alot less acceptable.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2013 - 5:42PM #8
Ebon
Posts: 10,148

Apr 4, 2013 -- 5:05PM, CoolWarrior wrote:

  He used to have the rep of being fairly "liberal" but lately he seems to be leaning more and more right.



He's not really consistent enough to have a leaning either way. He's a blowhard, often an idiot and, by most accounts, an egomaniac.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2013 - 5:47PM #9
jane2
Posts: 14,295

I like Chris Matthews but don't always agree with his emphases.


Chris was a Reagan Democrat and I wasn't.


He's a graduate of the Jesuit Holy Cross, and a Pennsylvanian.


Besides his show Hardball on MSNBC he also often hosts a show on Saturday evening in which he interviews journalists on NBC.


 

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2013 - 5:49PM #10
CoolWarrior
Posts: 10,164

EREY: those are the reported amounts. Anyone who does work in that area knows just how few of these incidents get reported because of the "shame" and embarrassment the Victim feels.


The reporting numbers went way up right after the Nicole Simpson murder because Domestic Violence was discussed openly. The numbers being reported have gone back down because it is not in the public's eye recently and the Victims often don't report it beacuse of the embarrassment issue as mentioned above and because of fear of retribution from the Abuser.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 23  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook