Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Polygamy and Marriage Equality
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2013 - 11:46PM #1
jonny42
Should polygamists be able to marry?   Many Americans want to redefine marriage away from traditional marriage.   Is this a good time to make polygamy legal, or should we limit it to just some forms of relationships?
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2013 - 11:58PM #2
Erey

polygamy is just as old if not older than monogamy.  It has existed across cultures all around the world since civilization has been recorded. 

Personally, I don't think polygamy should be encouraged. In those few cultures where polygamy is common they are more violent and more oppressive to women.  But that does not mean I think polygamy should be illegal.  I think we should just remove the illegality of polygamy and just live with that for awhile.

One of the problems with polygamy not being legal is we have second wives and their children without the legal rights. 

Polygamy is not something I admire but I don't think we are doing anyone any favors with making it illegal. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2013 - 12:01AM #3
JohnQ

Mar 21, 2013 -- 11:46PM, jonny42 wrote:

Should polygamists be able to marry?   Many Americans want to redefine marriage away from traditional marriage.   Is this a good time to make polygamy legal, or should we limit it to just some forms of relationships?

Polygamy is a form of traditional marriage.  It is no longer legal in the USA but, is still practiced here.  And, it is legal in many countries.

Lord knows it is repeatedly referenced in the Bible.

All that said, why would marriage equality for gay/lesbians lead to polygamy any more than mixed-gendered marriages lead to polygamy?

Peace!                 
------

Christian LIES wed Christian HATE......Begot a child....it’s named Prop 8! 

Supreme Court let it stand.....which means we can vote away the rights of others in our land.

Sad as that may be...it hurts all of us.....not just me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2013 - 12:09AM #4
jonny42

Mar 21, 2013 -- 11:58PM, Erey wrote:

polygamy is just as old if not older than monogamy.  It has existed across cultures all around the world since civilization has been recorded. 

Personally, I don't think polygamy should be encouraged. In those few cultures where polygamy is common they are more violent and more oppressive to women.  But that does not mean I think polygamy should be illegal.  I think we should just remove the illegality of polygamy and just live with that for awhile.

One of the problems with polygamy not being legal is we have second wives and their children without the legal rights. 

Polygamy is not something I admire but I don't think we are doing anyone any favors with making it illegal. 

I think that the call for "marriage equality" is hollow if polygamists are excluded.  It appears you agree.      

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2013 - 12:13AM #5
jonny42

Mar 22, 2013 -- 12:01AM, JohnQ wrote:

Polygamy is a form of traditional marriage.  It is no longer legal in the USA but, is still practiced here.  And, it is legal in many countries.

Lord knows it is repeatedly referenced in the Bible.

All that said, why would marriage equality for gay/lesbians lead to polygamy any more than mixed-gendered marriages lead to polygamy?

I'd like to focus on polygamy for polygamy's sake.   We are not allowed to talk about relationship-type A if we are talking about relationship-type B.

With that said, do you think we would be closer to marriage equality if polygamists could marry? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2013 - 12:18AM #6
mountain_man

Should polygamists be able to marry?....

If they are consenting adults, I don't care.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2013 - 12:32AM #7
jonny42

Mar 22, 2013 -- 12:18AM, mountain_man wrote:

Do you think it'll be made legal in the U.S. in the next 5 years?  10?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2013 - 12:44AM #8
TENAC

Mar 22, 2013 -- 12:32AM, jonny42 wrote:

Mar 22, 2013 -- 12:18AM, mountain_man wrote:

Do you think it'll be made legal in the U.S. in the next 5 years?  10?

Probably July, 2013

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2013 - 12:44AM #9
Aka_me

if we weren't such honkin hypocrites when it comes to "pursuit of happiness"

people could pursue their personalized form of happiness to marry who they want, and however many they want.

by criminalizing it... it continues underground, with sickos like the fundamentalist FLDS commiting pedophilia in the name of JEZUS Christ amen.

The UN says the ebola outbreak must be controlled within 60 days or else the world faces an "unprecedented" situation for which there is no plan.
this is absolutely fantastic as it unites the world into being OUR problem rather than THEIR problem.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2013 - 12:59AM #10
jonny42

Mar 22, 2013 -- 12:44AM, Aka_me wrote:

if we weren't such honkin hypocrites when it comes to "pursuit of happiness"

people could pursue their personalized form of happiness to marry who they want, and however many they want.

Do you think it would help to sway the opinion of the public if our nation's leaders would voice their acceptance of polygamy?  What do you think is holding them back?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook