Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View 160,000 Couples Become Married Overnight
1 year ago  ::  Mar 18, 2013 - 5:33PM #1
d_p_m
And in BC, we get the exact opposite of the Quebec experience:

www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/...
PHARAOH IRY-HOR, FROM THE 3100s BC, IS THE FIRST HUMAN WHOSE NAME WE KNOW.

-- cool facts from xkcd

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 18, 2013 - 5:48PM #2
Erey

so do those couples that no lived together without marriage have to get divorced?

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 18, 2013 - 5:55PM #3
d_p_m

Mar 18, 2013 -- 5:48PM, Erey wrote:

so do those couples that no lived together without marriage have to get divorced?

Unlikely, I think, but they will probably need a legal separation agreement, unless they just go their separate ways. It does get complicated, though, doesn't it.

Good question, and knowing the lawyers, I could be wrong.

-- cool facts from xkcd

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 18, 2013 - 5:59PM #4
Ebon

Here, "spouse" just means "someone you live with as if you are married" (which includes same-sex partners) but the legal rights and responsibilities are complicated.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 18, 2013 - 8:27PM #5
Shusha

Mar 18, 2013 -- 5:55PM, d_p_m wrote:

Mar 18, 2013 -- 5:48PM, Erey wrote:

Unlikely, I think, but they will probably need a legal separation agreement, unless they just go their separate ways. It does get complicated, though, doesn't it.

Good question, and knowing the lawyers, I could be wrong.

I doubt it.  If the moving in is good enough to begin the marriage, the moving out is good enough to end it. 

The financial division between spouses (married by a ceremony or by common law) is a legally mandated 50/50 split between partners, as I understand it. 

I'm glad to see that previously owned property and things like inheritances are exempt, though. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 18, 2013 - 8:33PM #6
Shusha

The weird thing is to think about being legally "married" to more than one person:  the ex who you are not quite legally divorced from yet and the common law spouse you have been living with and are also legally married to. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 18, 2013 - 10:53PM #7
d_p_m

Mar 18, 2013 -- 8:33PM, Shusha wrote:

The weird thing is to think about being legally "married" to more than one person:  the ex who you are not quite legally divorced from yet and the common law spouse you have been living with and are also legally married to. 

For that matter, what happens if you are living with more than one other person?

-- cool facts from xkcd

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 18, 2013 - 11:26PM #8
Shusha

Mar 18, 2013 -- 10:53PM, d_p_m wrote:

For that matter, what happens if you are living with more than one other person?

THAT is a most interesting question.  I have no idea.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 18, 2013 - 11:57PM #9
Erey

I could be wrong but I am getting that they don't care about your domestic situation unless someone is taken advantage.  When I read the article there was alot of concern about all the children born out of wedlock.  Naturally, the state wants to make sure that those responsible behave responsibly and take care of their kids financially.

NOt mentioned by the article you have someone left destitute because they invested in their partner and not their career and when the break up happens they can't really support themselves. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 20, 2013 - 11:47AM #10
d_p_m

Mar 18, 2013 -- 11:26PM, Shusha wrote:

Mar 18, 2013 -- 10:53PM, d_p_m wrote:

THAT is a most interesting question.  I have no idea.

I doubt anyone has thought about it. It's relatively easy to avoid bigamy when you have to have a ceremony and a marriage certificate to get married... but there are a number of people in poly relationships... and as well, how do you distinguish between people just living together, and people 'living together', especially now when it doesn't matter what sex the people are... especially with 'after the fact' claims? 

Do how many marriages do four people living in the same household create? Two? Three? Four? Six? How many are guilty of bigamy? Trigamy? If one person leaves, can they claim support and property from each of the other three?

-- cool facts from xkcd

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook