Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Just when you think we're making progress...
2 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2013 - 11:31AM #1
mountain_man
Just when you think we're making progress, something comes up to let you know we still have a long ways to go.

The responses to a gay wedding covered by a local Mississippi news paper were as expected though.

Here's the story.
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2013 - 12:51PM #2
TemplarS

Disgraceful.

Good to see the newspaper stuck to its guns, though.

And maybe we have made some progress. I imagine an inter-racial marriage in Mississippi in 1956 would have provoked more than a few angry phone calls.

I wish the couple well with their problems; and, you never know, the publicity might bring them a lot of support.   Another thing the internet is good for.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2013 - 1:26PM #3
mountain_man

Feb 21, 2013 -- 12:51PM, TemplarS wrote:

Disgraceful.

Good to see the newspaper stuck to its guns, though.

And maybe we have made some progress. I imagine an inter-racial marriage in Mississippi in 1956 would have provoked more than a few angry phone calls.

I have no doubt they would have burned down the newspaper. So, we have made some progress. We've made it though the easy part - and it hasn't been all that easy - the hardest part will be getting the few vocal holdouts to come around.

I wish the couple well with their problems; and, you never know, the publicity might bring them a lot of support.   Another thing the internet is good for.

It sounds like they have quite a few supporters. They looked like a colorful couple that would be fun to know.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2013 - 4:34PM #4
solfeggio

What was that quote from President Clinton?  'Thank god for Mississippi.'  (Because then Arkansas wasn't the worst state.)

The response from the newspaper's readers was expected, but good for the newspaper's owner writing that inspired editorial defending the gay couple's right to wed.

So, that is certainly progress for rural Mississippi.

It is interesting to note that nowhere in the Mississippi state constitution does it say that same-sex couples are not allowed to hold committment ceremonies, and, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center, same-sex couples are allowed to hold their weddings on Mississippi state grounds.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2013 - 4:41PM #5
TemplarS

Dave, good luck to that, there will always be a few vocal holdouts. The real victory is when they lose the power to influence other people's thinking, and lose the power to control other people's lives.  This relegates them to the status of cranks. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2013 - 5:26PM #6
mountain_man

Feb 21, 2013 -- 4:34PM, solfeggio wrote:

What was that quote from President Clinton?  'Thank god for Mississippi.'  (Because then Arkansas wasn't the worst state.)

The response from the newspaper's readers was expected, but good for the newspaper's owner writing that inspired editorial defending the gay couple's right to wed.

From what I read, the newspaper did not defend the couples rights. The editor did not say they shouldn't, but was careful to present the news and let the reader decide.

So, that is certainly progress for rural Mississippi.

Presenting the news without extreme bias would be progress for any state. The progress for Mississippi is in the fact that they didn't burn down the newspaper and then go after the couple.

It is interesting to note that nowhere in the Mississippi state constitution does it say that same-sex couples are not allowed to hold committment ceremonies, and, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center, same-sex couples are allowed to hold their weddings on Mississippi state grounds.

Those commitment ceremonies are not legally binding contracts and do not confer any rights.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2013 - 5:30PM #7
mountain_man

Feb 21, 2013 -- 4:41PM, TemplarS wrote:

Dave, good luck to that, there will always be a few vocal holdouts. The real victory is when they lose the power to influence other people's thinking, and lose the power to control other people's lives.  This relegates them to the status of cranks.

As is all too often the case; sometimes a society has to outlast some holdouts in order to change. Many of the old generation are dying off and soon all that are left will be the cranks that will always exist.  There are still groups that believe whites should not marry anyone of color. They have been shunted to the side as irrelevant nut cases.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2013 - 7:18PM #8
Aka_me

Feb 21, 2013 -- 11:31AM, mountain_man wrote:

Just when you think we're making progress

who is we? you got a mouse in your pocket?

I've been doing the best I can to highlight the apathy and incompetence of this country when it comes to corporate corruption, politicians who lie, government coverups, military murder of innocent women and children, mass consumption of kool-aid to believe the perpetual warmongering story.

not being able to debate is one thing, employing censorship to avoid debate is beyond words.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2013 - 8:16PM #9
Stardove

Moved from the Hot Topic Zone.  All ROC will apply to thread from this point on.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2013 - 1:55PM #10
rideronthastorm

Im all for Gays getting married but considering the fact that we have 2500 threads about Gay marriage up at beliefnet seems like its the only thing worth talking about anymore....................

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook