Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View For a Longer Life, Put a Ring on It
2 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2013 - 1:27PM #11
Erey

Jan 16, 2013 -- 12:37AM, Stardove wrote:

On my Erey.  Sorry for your losses of your young friends.  When you're my age you look back at the 40s as being young.   (((Erey)))

Thank you for your kindness.

In a couple of those cases I was left with the feeling that at least now they don't have pain anymore.  But I guess the relevant question is would they have gotten so sick and would their health have deteriorated so much if they had a significant other or their own family?   I can't answer that question with any authority but maybe it would have. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2013 - 1:44PM #12
mytmouse57

As far as advice, such as it is, I can offer this.

When you're single and looking, don't "serial date." I'm sure we all know that guy or gal who just dates the same person -- so to speak -- over and over.

All my girlfriends were very different from one another.

Also, I think single folks (whether for the first time, or divorced and looking to get back into the game) make the mistake of trying to find somebody "like" them. By that I mean, in having the same tastes, same hobbies, similar background, and so forth.

This tends to drive things toward the shallow end -- such as in ("Gee, I really like skiing, cheese fries and heavy metal. I've got to find me a gal who likes skiiing, cheese fries and heavy metal.")

But think about it, do you really want to marry yourself?

What wisdom I've gained tells me, look for somebody who shares the same core values that you have, but otherwise is as different as you can get. (Provided, of course, the differences are complimentary.)

My wife and I have incredibly different tastes, backgrounds, personality types -- you name it. But, we share common core values, and our differences -- or strengths and weaknesses -- compliment and boost one another. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2013 - 3:54PM #13
Girlchristian

Jan 16, 2013 -- 9:59AM, TemplarS wrote:

My wife is a nurse, and I'm sure she does a much better job of managing my health care than I would do on my own.

Mostly, I don't like doctors, but she forces me to go when necessary.

LOL, my husband would say the same thing. Also, since I'm the one that does most of the cooking (outside of grilling, he can only really cook two things), then he eats healthier than he did before we got together.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

β€œFor those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2013 - 12:37PM #14
d_p_m

I'm still not sure this is meaningful. I'd have to read the study itself, and analyze their experimental design, methodology, and data analysis to see if the conclusion is justified.

"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."

― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2013 - 1:22PM #15
mytmouse57

Jan 17, 2013 -- 12:37PM, d_p_m wrote:

I'm still not sure this is meaningful. I'd have to read the study itself, and analyze their experimental design, methodology, and data analysis to see if the conclusion is justified.

Most social or "soft science" studies are either worthless, or tell us things we already knew. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2013 - 1:33PM #16
d_p_m

Jan 17, 2013 -- 1:22PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Most social or "soft science" studies are either worthless, or tell us things we already knew. 

You mean like the one with the shocking revelation that patients taking high doses of opiate pain killers were more likely to be in an accident if they were the driver, but not if they were the passenger?

"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."

― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2013 - 1:39PM #17
loveontheair

Hello,

Erey...

Oh my!

I'm sorry to hear about your friends. That has got to suck. Hang in there.

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2013 - 4:09PM #18
mytmouse57

Jan 17, 2013 -- 1:33PM, d_p_m wrote:

Jan 17, 2013 -- 1:22PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

You mean like the one with the shocking revelation that patients taking high doses of opiate pain killers were more likely to be in an accident if they were the driver, but not if they were the passenger?

Yeah, or the ones that demonstrated that girls who don't have a close, loving father or other healthy male role model tend to grow up into women who make piss-poor decisions regarding how to get attention from men, and have relationships with them. 

Yeah, that sort of thing...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2013 - 7:36PM #19
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing