Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Pause Switch to Standard View A place to belong
Show More
Flag travis1325 December 23, 2012 8:08 PM EST
Where to start? I have been through a lot of faiths in my life, and none of them ever seemed to fit. I believe in a higher power (often called God out of convenience in conversations). I believe great masters have existed, but that the power we put in them is nothing more than our own personal power, strengthened through our faith in them. I cant go along with a lot of religions because of the dogma, the hate, and the feeling that they need to cominate anothers life. When someone praises God or Jesus, I feel that it doesn't resonate with me. BUT when talking with atheist friends, I often get defensive, like they are hating on a part of me (they don't hate on religion, just tend to post some flippant things that grate on my nerves).

I have been talking with one such friend, and telling him my thoughts, how I feel and what I believe. I believe science and this higher power work hand in hand. I don't believe this higher power has an designs on the lives of humans. I believe this power is within us, and all around us. I believe that, upon death, we all rejoin this power because it isn't restrictive. Most of these beliefs I find in accordance with science (which is important to me). Einstein said that energy is neither created or destroyed, just changed. That is what I think happens with us, we aren't created or destroyed, just changed.

So that brings me up to the present. I saw something the other day that resonated with me, it was precisely what I believed, but for the first time someone put a name to it: Taoism. And so my journey began. What I need to know now it HOW to learn it, how to become a taoist without there being access to ANYTHING Taoist around my parts. There is so much I don't know about it, that I want to. I can't ever see myself being religious in the aspect of rituals and church, but instead a more balanced life of attunement with nature and this higher force.

As you can see, I need help.
Flag TransJ December 24, 2012 11:06 PM EST

travis1325

So that brings me up to the present. I saw something the other day that resonated with me, it was precisely what I believed, but for the first time someone put a name to it: Taoism. And so my journey began. What I need to know now it HOW to learn it, how to become a taoist without there being access to ANYTHING Taoist around my parts. There is so much I don't know about it, that I want to. I can't ever see myself being religious in the aspect of rituals and church, but instead a more balanced life of attunement with nature and this higher force.

Well travis 1325 I am not a Taoist, but I have traveled a long spiritual road similar to yours. I have mainly followed the western stoic path. I have called myself a Transtheist for quite some time now.  Transtheism is an objective pragmatic belief that Divinity is a possibility in reality, as its starting point of faith. Stoicism and Taoism have a lot in come. However let me say this, I am not a master of Taoism but if you would like someone to explore it with on this site I would be happy to do so.  

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook