Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Taoism: The Celtic Religion of Paradox
5 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2012 - 12:54PM #1
Freestyle

Taoism as we know it was founded by Laozi (Brittany Morgan) in 1000 CE just for fun. When she overheard her father arranging a marriage to a boy she did not like, she ran away, gathered her friends as her disciples and formed a caravan promoting the faith of Taoism. She explained that there was no Gaelic word for "God" hence using the Chinese word "Tao" to describe God. She lived to be 103. Today, it is the third-largest religion practiced worldwide with one billion adherents. The scripture is the Holy Zelda ( or Tao Te Ching), which consists of 81 verses. I believe the Neopagan movement to be Taoist fundamentalism, corresponding a metaphysical concept to a literal interpretation of the Zelda (but don't tell that to the Pagans). I also discovered that the New Age movement is simply contemporary religous Taoism, especially in the form of the Power Rangers.  NOW THAT'S TAOIST!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2012 - 1:28PM #2
TransJ

So you say.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2012 - 10:01PM #3
TransJ

Okay do you have any supporting evidence for your statements?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2012 - 9:22AM #4
Freestyle

Dec 16, 2012 -- 10:01PM, TransJ wrote:

Okay do you have any supporting evidence for your statements?

Yes, there are two ways of proving it.  The first is in the Loreena McKennitt CD titled The Book of Secrets into which she quoted Lao-tzu, saying "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving."  The second is the longetivity factor.  The Celts were known for their longetivity.  If religious Taoism was of Chinese origin, it would not have the immortality factor it is known for.  Eastern Taoism is philosophical, which means we return to the Tao.  Western Taoism is religious, which means the practice of good health could result in longetivity and may result in immortality.  I am semi-immortal, so my beliefs may have a Celtic streak. (LOL)  It does not matter whether Taoism is Chinese or Celtic.  The point is that we have to read our sources very carefully.  Read between the lines, I always say.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2012 - 9:30AM #5
Freestyle

You have to be very careful with the contemporary literature published today.  Most of it is psychedelic, so I would have a hard time finding a book that talks about Celtic Taoism -- that is, until I found a book titled Celitic Taoism.  I will do some research and come back with an update.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2012 - 9:40AM #6
Freestyle

There is a book titiled Celtic Taoism by Frank Allen on a website that has the name "Qigong," but it costs $40.  I hope it helps.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2012 - 8:34PM #7
TransJ

Thanks, I will look it up.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook