Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Muslim convert wants to celebrate Christmas
5 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2012 - 11:51AM #1
Ocujlk
As-salamu alaykum everyone 
I need your help. I plan to marry the man of my dreams very soon and cannot wait. He converted to Islam himself and loves the religion. Every day we teach each other new things and I feel like I've truly been blessed. I myself, a born Muslim, was not practicing as I should. When I met him, he changed that and now we are both trying to be the best religiously that we can. I'm having a little issue though. Although he loves the religion, he's been Christian his whole life. Christmas is coming up this year and he really doesn't understand why he can't celebrate it. I told him that he can with his family still, but not with ours once we marry and have kids inshAllah. He's very upset at this and I feel bad. But I know it is not permissible to celebrate other holidays as a Muslim. Or at least I've read. What can I do? Is it true Muslims cannot celebrate even in a secular way? I tried explaining to him that Eid was just as great, but he has this connection with Christmas that he can't break. He's very knowledgable in the religion and might even know more than me, I just wish he could understand this. Please help and let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thank you! 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2012 - 11:37AM #2
Abdullah.

Alaikum as salaam, Welcome to the forum sister . :)

Sister, it seems to me that given the very strong feelings your husband has about celebrating Christmas, he might be able to do it [even if it is with you and the children] as a secualr/social custom celebration and not anything religious at all, thus it will be neccassary to avoid bringing any religious aspects into it such as the mentioning of Jesus [pbuh], singing chiritmas carols, etc, etc

my understanding of this basically comes from some fatwas i've seen online from reliable mainstream sources that there is nothing wrong with giving or accepeting christmas presents as it is celebrated more as a social cusom these days than anything religious; given your husband knows quite a bit about Islam, he'd probably be able to put it all into perspective better than i and see wether this means he can celebrate christmas with his family as a social custom; here are the fatwas:

Question: I have non-Muslim family members who buy gifts for my family during the Christmas season. I feel shy to ask them not to buy the gifts, because other Muslim family members accept them also I don't want to be impolite. Still I don't want to be involved in something that will displease Allah. Should I take the gifts to goodwill stores, should I refuse them, if they give money meant for my daughter is it ok if I give it away? How can I resolve this problem?

Answer:

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

There is nothing wrong with accepting the gifts: these are not per se religious acts, but social customs.

It is permitted to give gifts during the Winter Break with the intention of strengthening family ties, though one should try one�s best to do so in a dignified but distinct manner, in order to avoid falling into the semblance �imitation�.

Wassalam,

Faraz Rabbani

qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=...

Accepting and giving gifts to non Muslims during the Christmas Festival
Posted on June 24, 2012 by admin Accepting and giving gifts to non Muslims during the Christmas Festival

In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful.

Answer
There is nothing wrong in Islam with accepting presents from non Muslims or giving gifts to them during the Christmas festival, as they are not religious acts in themselves, but social customs.

However, one should make the intention when accepting or giving the gifts of bringing them closer to Islam and you give or accept something which is not associated with Christmas like crackers etc… (See Fatawa Mahmoodiyah p.174 v.18 & Aapke Masaail p.67 v.1)

Only Allah Knows Best

Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham
daruliftabirmingham.co.uk/accepting-and-...

hope this helps

Salaam

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook