Page 8 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Switch to Forum Live View Fox News Op-Ed Says Women’s Nature Is To Be Dominated By Men
2 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2012 - 12:18PM #71
mytmouse57

Dec 10, 2012 -- 6:33PM, Erey wrote:

Dec 10, 2012 -- 4:01PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Dec 10, 2012 -- 3:03PM, Erey wrote:

Here is another article dealing with the same subject-matter.  Since it did not appear on Fox News maybe it won't be so offensive?

www.city-journal.org/2012/22_4_alpha-fem...

It talks about how women as a generality don't want to be in top positions becuase they prefer to spend time with their children.

That in Sweden there is a real glass ceiling even though they have all these worker/child-care benefits.  That here in the US the law firms with the least family friendly corporate policies has the highest number of women in top ranks.  Much higher than the law firms with family friendly policies. 

Just in general you are never going to be able to legislate or create a situation where women enmass will prefer to climb the corporate ladder over being their children's primary care givers. 

I'm thinking most women don't want to define themselves according to the male paradigm of "success." 

My thought is, real equality for women will come, when they have as much to do with defining the paradigm of society, as men typically have. For too long, the value of things has been measured according to what basically amounts to male dick-swinging contests. And I think I can see, how, from a female perspective, the entire thing is silly to begin with. 

In an equally female world, I think perhaps it would not be so much a matter of measuring how many female CEOs there are, so much as putting the value and importance of even being a CEO in the first place into a better perspective. 

Well absolutely,

Not that I think a man's pursit to elevate his financial and business acumen standing is purile.  A man according to the article linked on the OP is very interested in providing for his family.  If you can be a CEO making a million a year, well that is alot of security not just for your children but also for your grandchildren. 

If I had to advise a young woman who wanted a family, my advice would be to definately get an education and to work hard.  When you have kids see if you can get a position with flexibilty or something that can translate into part-time.  Not that you HAVE to do that but there will probably come a time when you will want that option.  But I think something of your own career is so worth having, so worth the trouble and I think can make a stronger marriage.  But probably you will want a work/life ballance. 

They did studies and women are having less children than ever before.  The higher the mother's education, the smaller the family is typically how it goes.   Except for those really higher education, the law or medical degrees.  Those women are more likely to have a third child.  The reason is they have with their in-demand education and skill set more job security and they can afford more but also more likely to be able to get meaningfull high-paying work that has some flexibility.

Another thing to consider, is that people are living quite a bit longer, and working to much older ages, than in the past.

So, even for those who have children later on, a person will still have plenty of good years ahead of them, once the kids are raised up and out of the house.

That leaves parents -- women or men -- plenty of good years left to build a career, run for public office, go care for the poor -- to do whatever one's ambition or bliss might be.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2012 - 4:44PM #72
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2012 - 10:34AM #73
Estacia

Is it 1950 agian???

UHHH no!