Switch to Forum Live View Major Major Shift By Blacks Towards Gay Marriage
2 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2012 - 3:03PM #1
CoolWarrior

Who would have predicted this would happen so soon or that it would be Republicans that would spur the change with their hate-filled campaign?

"African Americans and Latinos Spur Gay Marriage Revolution"

"Last Tuesday’s election was a watershed moment for the gay marriage movement. Voters in three states voted to legalize it — something no state had done before — and a fourth state voted against a proposed ban.

And if the movement catches on in other states, African Americans and Latinos will be a big reason why.

In fact, exit polls now show a majority of both groups now favor gay marriage.

Gay marriage supporters revel in Washington state on election night when early returns showed the state’s voters leaning toward endorsing same-sex marriage. It took until Friday for it to become official. (Ted S. Warren — Associated Press)

Maine, Maryland and Washington state all passed new gay marriage laws on Tuesday, while voters in Minnesota defeated a ban.

In some ways, the pro-gay marriage votes were a long time coming, with polls showing more and more Americans moving in support of gay marriage in recent years. But the fact that voters in multiple states signed off on gay marriage all at once on Tuesday suggests a significant leap forward, in addition to the incremental progress.

And while the usual suspects continue to favor gay marriage — young people and non-religious people — exit polls show the most important shifts in support among two key communities: African Americans and Hispanics. 

Black voters, in particular, have been slow to embrace gay marriage, even as the vast majority vote Democratic and the rest of the party has embraced gay marriage. On Tuesday, though, they played a major role in passing Maryland’s new gay marriage law.

Maryland is heavily Democratic, which made it a likely candidate to be one of the first states to vote for gay marriage. But the state is also heavily African-American (29 percent) and has a significant Latino population (8 percent), which made passage something less than certain.

When California voted for a gay marriage ban in 2008, 70 percent of African Americans voted for it, and when North Carolina overwhelmingly passed a similar measure earlier this year, many cited the black vote as a big reason. "

www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2012 - 4:17PM #2
JohnQ

Actually, blacks have been shifting on this issue for some time.  It just has not been obvious.

People often point to CA and Prop 13 to suggest that Blacks overwhelmingly oppose marriage equality.  Blacks voted in very large numbers to support Prop 13 after blacks in very large numbers received robo calls with the voice of then candidate Obama seemingly asking them to vote in support of Prop 13.  What the recipients did not know at the time was first, Obama was unaware that the calls were being made, and second that Obama's message on the calls had been cobbled together from bits and pieces of his speeches and interviews to make it appear that he Obama supported Prop 13.  Both, were misleading.

Peace!                 
------

Christian LIES wed Christian HATE......Begot a child....it’s named Prop 8! 

Supreme Court let it stand.....which means we can vote away the rights of others in our land.

Sad as that may be...it hurts all of us.....not just me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2012 - 8:05PM #3
REteach

I'm glad.

I think it is a sad quirk of humans that we can be hurt by others, and instead of learning from it, turn around and do it the same to someone else.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook