Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View Men, Who Needs Them?
2 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2012 - 2:59PM #31
mytmouse57

We're both small in stature – but in appearance, character and mannerisms, my wife is quite feminine, and me, masculine. 

Still, at our house, my wife does all the work with power tools, I usually walk the dogs. We both cook for the kids. Laundry, dishes and garbage are family chores.

On road trips in the family SUV, we split the driving about evenly. 

The one boy still at home is sensitive and intuitive. The oldest girl is tough and athletic, and the one who usually does things like go hunting with me. 

Gender roles are flexible, IMO.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2012 - 6:20PM #32
JCarlin

Aug 30, 2012 -- 3:10PM, Erey wrote:

The college educated women still get married at a decent clip, just they are working harder because they are now involved in career and much of the traditional childcare/housekeeping duties.

I have found that most of the college educated women I know (I admit to some selectivity) put child care and houskeeping into the pre-nup formal or informal.  I was in an early dual career parenting situation and by agreement it was my career that took the hit in parenting considerations.  Justifiably so. I was a white male MBA, and could and did change careers easily when employers said in effect why doesn't your wife do that.  I walked out of a board meeting to deal with a hospital emergency called by my 10 yr old for his 8 yo brother.  When called out for it, afterward, I simply explained that mom was out of town making a presentation at a science conference.  It didn't sit well but even then they couldn't overtly complain, but I could sense another career change in the offing. 

It was part of the understanding when we were both in grad school at the same time before kids.  Whoever had the easiest next few days did the cooking and the housework.  Even though admittedly she was a better cook.  And I didn't like the way she folded underwear. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2012 - 11:08PM #33
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement