Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View On the Flip Side of Gay Marriage
2 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2012 - 9:58PM #1
Stardove

Amazon Founder Gives $2.5 Million to Gay Marriage Effort

Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos and his wife have pledged $2.5 million to help the campaign hoping to retain Washington’s marriage equality law at the November ballot.

With the gift, the couple have doubled the money available to the proponents of Referendum 74, which would legalize same-sex marriage in the state by affirming a law that passed the Legislature this year. Courts or lawmakers have declared gay marriage legal in six other states, but backers of such measures have never succeeded at the ballot box.

Proponents of the effort in Washington State called it a game-changing gift that gives them a fighting chance in November.

“To get this from a straight, married couple sends a powerful message that marriage is seen as a fundamental question of fairness,” Zach Silk, the campaign manager for Washington United for Marriage, said Thursday in an interview.

Continued at link.  Why does being for something when it comes to people seem more correct to me than being against them?  Good luck Washington state with the vote!

Is anyone going to boycott Amazon over this gift?

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2012 - 10:09PM #2
mountain_man

Jul 29, 2012 -- 9:58PM, Stardove wrote:

Is anyone going to boycott Amazon over this gift?

I'm going to go by a book from them. Probably this one: Wild (From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail)

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2012 - 10:41PM #3
solfeggio

We've bought a lot of DVDs and CDs from Amazon over the years, and we have always found them to be a great company with which to deal.  So, I'm glad to see that the founders are not just in favour of gay marriage, but have also pledged money in support of it.

We have a bill to legalise gay marriage before our Parliament right now, and it will almost certainly pass.  Even our Conservative Prime Minister says he supports it.

I'm very glad to see this happening, and I hope it will continue throughout the world.

Gay people are human beings who deserve the same rights and priviledges as any other human beings.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2012 - 10:54PM #4
jane2

Bravo for Amazon. I've had their Visa card for years and years. My daughter uses all my advantage points for things her teen children would like.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2012 - 12:42AM #5
Shusha

There is no such thing as gay marriage.  There is only equal marriage. 

And this just gives me one more reason to shop amazon.  Not that I needed one.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2012 - 9:48AM #6
TemplarS

The Bezos' support is gratifiying.

That it was or needed to be accompanied by money is another sad commentary on American politics.

I understand that it is nothing but a counterbalance to $$$ spent on the right, and that in any money contest the left is bound to lose.

But I still find voting with the pocketbook objectionable (rather, I find the system that not only allows but requires this objectionable).

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2012 - 10:13AM #7
Girlchristian

Good for Amazon. I'm a member of their Amazon mom program which gives me discounts and free shipping on the things i buy monthly like diapers.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2012 - 10:43AM #8
3neez

I've been taught several things about making money. Create a Market and Need even if you have to fool someone. You have to spend money to make money. Location, Location, Location. Timing is Everything. I think the Bezos' gift was rather for marketing genius and profit or else his "gift" would have come before Mr. Cathy's.

On the "flip side", if the Bezos' gift had come first and Mr. Cathy's second, then Mr. Cathy's statement would have been construed as "Retaliation" maybe? "Flip side" thinking?

I'm glad Mr. Cathy's statement has somehow and just out of the blue mind you, has just majically "spurned" the Bezos' into the great people they are (now) versus "no one knows who they were before". They once were just part of the dreadful 1%

If the Bezos' pass the plate around again, more "believers" will follow. While doing more "flip side" adventures, I've found if you look thru binoculars backwards, everything looks far away.  

"The end of beginning is over"

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid." - Ricky Gervais

“In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” - Mark Twain
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2012 - 11:02AM #9
mainecaptain

I am going to continue to purchase from them. I am so glad they did this

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2012 - 11:18AM #10
Ebon

They have the right to donate money to any cause they wish and their customers have every right to include that opinion when considering whether to patronise them. On this occasion, I happen to agree with their decision but I order from Amzon roughly monthly anyway.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook