Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View On the Flip Side of Gay Marriage
2 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2012 - 6:16PM #31
Qwesam

Aug 2, 2012 -- 4:51PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I find it interesting how so many can not see the difference between disagreement, and hate, or opression or persecution. Disagreement itself, is none of those things, but far to many, especially those of a fanatical bent, equate all of those things.

Yes, it calls straw man.

so that they can make the case..

***Watching Foxnews makes you dumb and dumber than your friends who watch NO News. It is on the survey!

***Don’t listen to what Republicans say, look what they do to Women’s rights.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2012 - 8:49PM #32
mainecaptain

Aug 2, 2012 -- 6:16PM, Qwesam wrote:

Aug 2, 2012 -- 4:51PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I find it interesting how so many can not see the difference between disagreement, and hate, or opression or persecution. Disagreement itself, is none of those things, but far to many, especially those of a fanatical bent, equate all of those things.

Yes, it calls straw man.

so that they can make the case..

true, they try to make a case based on a lie

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2012 - 10:23PM #33
mountain_man

Aug 2, 2012 -- 12:01PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Is he claiming dan cathy is Jesus?

No, but it does seems he sees them as equals.

Further Jesus said nothing about gay marriage and I am fairly certain Jesus would not be supporting HATE groups. So Jesus would not be supporting dan cathy and chik fil a

Since the NT is mostly about eschatology, the end times, Jesus would have said to let the gays go do whatever they want but that YOU should get ready for the end of the world by following him.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2012 - 3:41AM #34
karbie

Isn't it strange how many people and groups claim to be Christian and yet persue vendettas on anyone who doesn't agree with their version of it? If being gay was so horrible, why didn't it make the top ten? Why didn't Jesus give them a list of People who they should hate? He didn't even tell them to hate the Romans for their oppression of his people.

He did lose his temper over the money-lenders in the Temple grounds , those selling imperfect animals for sacrifice, and those at the top who were more concerned with staying in power with all of their perks than anything else.

The frightening thing about bigots and/or fanatics is that you cannot reason with them at all. They have chosen how they are going to see the world and no ray of daylight will be permitted to change what they believe.Just because Christianity came into being due to the violent scourging and death of one man, it doesn't mean that violence and hatred should still be part of any version of Christianity today.

People being brave enough to want to stop being second-hand citizens doesn't scare me. People who want them to remain in the closet or risk losing their jobs, friends, church or families scare me. People who are more concerned with blindly following any political party no matter what it does scares me.

I don't hate someone for not agreeing with me. I may be in total disagreement with their views, but that isn't worth hating the person. My family thought I was insane for not being a Republican.

Oddly enough, I think they would have preferred me to be gay if it meant I wast still aa Republican.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2012 - 4:41PM #35
Do_unto_others

Jul 31, 2012 -- 10:33PM, 3neez wrote:

Dave,

One groups opinion vs anothers does not automatically make it hate.

The Southern Poverty Law Center (and, I believe, the ACLU) has called Focus on the Family (aka 'Let's Focus On SOME People's Families So They Won't Focus On Ours') "a hate group".

It isn't a matter of "opinion". CFA, along with FotF, the A"F"A, the "F" "R" C, and NOM, etc., are working to deny SOME citizens equal rights. THAT, my friend, IS hate.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 08, 2012 - 12:38PM #36
Stardove

646,000 -- The number of same-sex-couple households in the U.S. in 2010, according to the U.S. census.

115,064 -- Number of same-sex couple households in the U.S. with children, according to the U.S. census.

What is the message the children of same sex households are getting from those who opposed their parents' unions?  I believe the message is one of hate, not love. 

I also wonder what the people in states which have voted against same sex couples marrying are so afraid of.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 08, 2012 - 12:46PM #37
Do_unto_others

Aug 8, 2012 -- 12:38PM, Stardove wrote:

646,000 -- The number of same-sex-couple households in the U.S. in 2010, according to the U.S. census.

115,064 -- Number of same-sex couple households in the U.S. with children, according to the U.S. census.

What is the message the children of same sex households are getting from those who opposed their parents' unions?  I believe the message is one of hate, not love. 

I also wonder what the people in states which have voted against same sex couples marrying are so afraid of.

+ 1.

And, they're "afraid" that they'll no longer be better than gay people before the law.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2012 - 11:22PM #38
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2012 - 3:21AM #39
Estacia

Amazon, Chickfila, Does'nt make a difference to me.

Good merchandise, great food!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook