Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Do you represent all Muslims, or are you just you?
2 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2012 - 7:53PM #1
Miraj

Apparently, some posters on Bnet know no Muslims IRL, so they use Muslim posters here to determine if all the bad things they hear about Muslims are true.  If we don't agree with them, or they can't badger and shame us into being appropriately apologetic or outraged and angry about whatever they come by with for us to be outraged and angry about, we're bad Muslims, confirming their belief that Muslims are bad people.  They only like the ones that agree with them; who feel guilty about everything other Muslims do.

Have you noticed that?  Do you think it's fair?

Also, do any of you use non-Muslims posters here to judge all other non-Muslims as good or bad?

I'm in total rebellion against the idea that somebody thinks they have a moral high ground simply by being non-Muslim and that I need to constantly prove my worthiness to them on cue.  To hell with that.  What do you guys think?

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2012 - 8:53PM #2
Shusha

This is a complete misrepresentation of my post elsewhere.  And I am not happy about being misrepresented in this fashion.

What I actually said was that the opinons of Muslims here on Bnet influence my understanding of the Muslim community.  It is by no means the only influence, and yes I know Muslims IRL.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2012 - 9:11PM #3
Miraj

No one mentioned you, Shusha.  If it was just one person who inspired this, that could be written off as a personality disorder, but it's not a single person that prompted me to start this thread.  It's an ongoing habit, a groupthink mentality, and I'm sure I'm not the only Muslim to notice it.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2012 - 9:23PM #4
Shusha

Fine then, Miraj, you are misrepresenting more than one of us then, not just me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2012 - 9:46PM #5
Miraj

You say I'm misrepresenting, but, I'm just being honest.  Since Ramadan is a time to resolve troubled relationships, this thread is an opportunity to do so.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2012 - 9:55PM #6
Shusha

Well, there is nothing about your OP that accurately represents my beliefs, so I guess there isn't much else for me to say about it. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2012 - 10:13PM #7
Ibn

I represent myself. I am bearer of a burden who can't bear the burden of someone else.

I look at others, Muslims and non-muslims, as individuals unless they declare to be a party with others.

I can understand why some non-muslim would lump all the Muslims together. They don't know me.

I know one thing: There are a billion Islamic people in the world today, and there will be about 2 billion by the time we're dead. They're not going to give up their religion.
(Chris Matthews)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2012 - 12:10AM #8
Shusha

Jul 20, 2012 -- 10:13PM, Ibn wrote:

I represent myself. I am bearer of a burden who can't bear the burden of someone else.

I look at others, Muslims and non-muslims, as individuals unless they declare to be a party with others.

I can understand why some non-muslim would lump all the Muslims together. They don't know me.

Rest assured, I did not see anyone lump all Muslims together.  Nor did I. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2012 - 4:36AM #9
Ibn

Jul 21, 2012 -- 12:10AM, Shusha wrote:

Jul 20, 2012 -- 10:13PM, Ibn wrote:

Rest assured, I did not see anyone lump all Muslims together.  Nor did I. 

I too haven't seen that you did but others who you have expressed in another thread as "we" (meaning you together) have done so in the past.

I know one thing: There are a billion Islamic people in the world today, and there will be about 2 billion by the time we're dead. They're not going to give up their religion.
(Chris Matthews)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2012 - 2:37PM #10
chevy956

Jul 20, 2012 -- 7:53PM, Miraj wrote:

Apparently, some posters on Bnet know no Muslims IRL, so they use Muslim posters here to determine if all the bad things they hear about Muslims are true.  If we don't agree with them, or they can't badger and shame us into being appropriately apologetic or outraged and angry about whatever they come by with for us to be outraged and angry about, we're bad Muslims, confirming their belief that Muslims are bad people.  They only like the ones that agree with them; who feel guilty about everything other Muslims do.

Have you noticed that?  Do you think it's fair?

Also, do any of you use non-Muslims posters here to judge all other non-Muslims as good or bad?

I'm in total rebellion against the idea that somebody thinks they have a moral high ground simply by being non-Muslim and that I need to constantly prove my worthiness to them on cue.  To hell with that.  What do you guys think?

I deal with Muslims on a daily basis in my home town, from the wonderful Egyptian man who owns my neighborhood laundromat (who is well loved by customers and neighbors) to store owners whom I see every day. They work hard, are good neighbors, good citizens and good Americans.

However, Muslims seem to get terribly upset when reminded that their scripture contains the seeds of violence and intolerance within it and upset when reminded that the majority of political turmoil (largely terrorist based activity)in the world at the moment can be traced directly to Muslims. Sadly, they are the face of Islam at the moment. It shouldn't be that way and I'd like to think that most Muslims are like those I deal with, but I am not terribly persuaded that Muslims really have the courage to denounce and shun those who preach jihad. The issue of Radical Islam can really only be solved by Muslims.

After losing a dearly loved and missed family member at the Pentagon who was killed by Muslims who flew a planeload of innocent people to their death, and then seeing footage of Muslims in Gaza CHEERING and applauding the attack, you will understand my feelings that if Islam went away tomorrow, the world would be a far safer and secure place. I didn't say perfect -just safer and more secure.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook