2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 11:16AM #1
Erey
I thought this was wild:
www.foxnews.com/health/2012/06/05/americ...

The team examined 1,500 skulls dating from the mid-1800s to the mid-1980s and found that the average height from the base to the top of the skull in men increased by eight millimeters (0.3 inches), while skull size grew by 200 cubic centimeters, a space equivalent to a tennis ball.

In women, skull height increased by seven millimeters and skull size increased by 180 cubic centimeters.

Overall, skull height has increased 6.8 percent since the late 1800s, compared with a 5.6 increase in body height and a 2 percent increase in femur (thigh bone) length. The researchers also noted that skull height has continued to change while the increase in body height has recently slowed or stopped.

Read more: www.foxnews.com/health/2012/06/05/americ...

I personally wonder if it is because we are shifting to a knowledge based economy?
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 12:07PM #2
mytmouse57

There's no reason to think biological evolution has stopped, or ever will. 

Maybe as we become more knowledge-based, humans will end up looking like those depections of aliens, with huge heads and scrawny little bodies.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 1:35PM #3
rangerken

Of course evolution has not stopped. This is simply additional evidence of it. I wonder how some religions will deal with this???

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 10:01PM #4
Blü

Evolution doesn't stop.  That's on the one hand.

On the other hand, size also goes with better health.  Three generations of good and sufficient food will trend offspring taller, without more (eg postwar Japan and China).  Factors like nutrition, work environments and conditions, control of disease and fertility - a lot of relevant things - have changed since 1800.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 10:28PM #5
teilhard

My guess is that larger Size Skulls are now being positvely selected by increased use of "Caesarian" Deliveries ... whereas previously in Human History, a Baby with a larger Head resulted in a Dead Mom and a Dead Baby ...

Jun 5, 2012 -- 11:16AM, Erey wrote:

I thought this was wild:
www.foxnews.com/health/2012/06/05/americ...

The team examined 1,500 skulls dating from the mid-1800s to the mid-1980s and found that the average height from the base to the top of the skull in men increased by eight millimeters (0.3 inches), while skull size grew by 200 cubic centimeters, a space equivalent to a tennis ball.

In women, skull height increased by seven millimeters and skull size increased by 180 cubic centimeters.

Overall, skull height has increased 6.8 percent since the late 1800s, compared with a 5.6 increase in body height and a 2 percent increase in femur (thigh bone) length. The researchers also noted that skull height has continued to change while the increase in body height has recently slowed or stopped.

Read more: www.foxnews.com/health/2012/06/05/americ...

I personally wonder if it is because we are shifting to a knowledge based economy?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2012 - 12:51PM #6
MMarcoe

Jun 13, 2012 -- 10:28PM, teilhard wrote:

My guess is that larger Size Skulls are now being positvely selected by increased use of "Caesarian" Deliveries ... whereas previously in Human History, a Baby with a larger Head resulted in a Dead Mom and a Dead Baby ...

That's a compelling possibility, but the study goes up to the 1980s. C-sections weren't as wildly popular then as they are now. I think we need to wait a few more decades to see the full effect of them.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2012 - 12:52PM #7
MMarcoe

Jun 12, 2012 -- 1:35PM, rangerken wrote:

Of course evolution has not stopped. This is simply additional evidence of it. I wonder how some religions will deal with this???

Ken

They'll say that this is part of the natural variation built into the originally created kinds that God made during Creation Week.

For which, of course, there is neither scientific evidence nor scriptural support.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2012 - 2:51PM #8
teilhard

There surely were MORE Caesarian Deliveries in 1950 than in 1850 ... and more in 1960 than in 1950 ...

Jun 14, 2012 -- 12:51PM, MMarcoe wrote:

Jun 13, 2012 -- 10:28PM, teilhard wrote:

That's a compelling possibility, but the study goes up to the 1980s. C-sections weren't as wildly popular then as they are now. I think we need to wait a few more decades to see the full effect of them.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook