Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
2 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2012 - 2:03PM #1
IDBC
I've heard a rumor that there are people who are interested in what Atheism IS .

The defination of the word is:

atheism  

1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.

2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

It is a "belief" that is no God and or a "disbelief"  in the existence of a supreme being or beings.  

It is a doctrine and not a dogma.  It is a belief or disbelief.   It is not a statement of knowledge or fact.   

I know that I have a brain.   That is a fact.   

I do not know that I have or don't have a soul for the same reason I do not know if god/gods, supreme beings/beings that have no physical existence.  

Nor do I believe that I have a soul.  I disbelieve in the existence of my soul for the same reason I disbelieve in the existence of god/gods.   

There is I think a difference between believing and knowing, and between knowing an not knowing, between gnosticism and agnosticism. 

I would not be suprised if there are masterminds who think that belief/disbelief,  knowing and  not knowing are all the same thing. 

For a more in depth information about  what atheism IS that expands beyond the definition of the word you may or may not see: 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

www.atheistscholar.org/

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2012 - 4:13PM #2
steven_guy

Once more, with feeling.

Atheism is a lack of belief in the existence of god, gods and goddesses. One may describe it as a position on a single philosophical issue.

Like everyone, I was born an atheist and I remain one to this very day. If theism didn't exist I wouldn't even need to call myself an atheist in regards to the claims of theists.

Atheism is not a doctrine.

Atheism is not a belief.

Atheism is not a philosophy.

Atheism is not a "path".

Atheism is not a doctrine.

Apr 24, 2012 -- 2:03PM, IDBC wrote:

I've heard a rumor that there are people who are interested in what Atheism IS .

The defination of the word is:

atheism  

1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.

2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

It is a "belief" that is no God and or a "disbelief"  in the existence of a supreme being or beings.  

It is a doctrine and not a dogma.  It is a belief or disbelief.   It is not a statement of knowledge or fact.   

I know that I have a brain.   That is a fact.   

I do not know that I have or don't have a soul for the same reason I do not know if god/gods, supreme beings/beings that have no physical existence.  

Nor do I believe that I have a soul.  I disbelieve in the existence of my soul for the same reason I disbelieve in the existence of god/gods.   

There is I think a difference between believing and knowing, and between knowing an not knowing, between gnosticism and agnosticism. 

I would not be suprised if there are masterminds who think that belief/disbelief,  knowing and  not knowing are all the same thing. 

For a more in depth information about  what atheism IS that expands beyond the definition of the word you may or may not see: 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

www.atheistscholar.org/

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 5:51PM #3
Seefan

Hmhmhmhm!  I thought it was .....

Atheism – The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reasons, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason whatsoever into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs. 

This probably makes as much sense to me ....

Today the one overriding need is unity and harmony among the beloved of the Lord, for they should have among them but one heart and soul and should, so far as in them lieth, unitedly withstand the hostility of all the peoples of the world ... (Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 5:53PM #4
steven_guy

Apr 27, 2012 -- 5:51PM, Seefan wrote:

Atheism – The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reasons, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason whatsoever into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs. 

That's a strawman argument and may be dismissed as such.

You don't know very much, do you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 5:55PM #5
redshifted

You're joking, right?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 6:01PM #6
Seefan

Apr 27, 2012 -- 5:55PM, redshifted wrote:

You're joking, right?

What do you think?  It's about as correct and understandable as your understanding of spiritual reality ...

And steve - I'm sure you are right, right!

Today the one overriding need is unity and harmony among the beloved of the Lord, for they should have among them but one heart and soul and should, so far as in them lieth, unitedly withstand the hostility of all the peoples of the world ... (Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 6:08PM #7
steven_guy

Apr 27, 2012 -- 6:01PM, Seefan wrote:

You're joking, right?

What do you think?  It's about as correct and understandable as your understanding of spiritual reality ...

What's there to understand about spiritual reality? All of it is simply made up, sometimes on the spot. One might as well say critics don't understand the spiritual reality of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 6:08PM #8
steven_guy

You're joking, right?

Sadly, I think not.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 6:10PM #9
Seefan

Apr 27, 2012 -- 6:08PM, steven_guy wrote:

You're joking, right?

What's there to understand about spiritual reality? All of it is simply made up, sometimes on the spot. One might as well say critics don't understand the spiritual reality of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. 

My point exactly steve ...

Thanks ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 6:28PM #10
redshifted

Apr 27, 2012 -- 6:10PM, Seefan wrote:

Apr 27, 2012 -- 6:08PM, steven_guy wrote:

You're joking, right?

My point exactly steve ...

Thanks ...

Um, alrighty then. Good talk.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook