Page 5 of 27  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why do you suppose?
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 4:44PM #41
farragut

'Tweren't Dubbya, 'twas Papa:

When George Bush was campaigning for the presidency, as incumbent vice-president, one of his stops was in Chicago, Illinois, on August 27, 1987. At O'Hare Airport he held a formal outdoor news conference. There Robert I. Sherman, a reporter for the American Atheist news journal, fully accredited by the state of Illinois and by invitation a participating member of the press corps covering the national candidates, had the following exchange with then-Vice-President Bush.
Sherman: What will you do to win the votes of the Americans who are atheists?
Bush: I guess I'm pretty weak in the atheist community. Faith in God is important to me.
Sherman: Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are atheists?
Bush: No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.
Sherman (somewhat taken aback): Do you support as a sound constitutional principle the separation of state and church?
Bush: Yes, I support the separation of church and state. I'm just not very high on atheists.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 4:52PM #42
chevy956

Apr 23, 2012 -- 4:39PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Apr 23, 2012 -- 4:35PM, wohali wrote:

"I'm not hostile toward those who try to evangalize me. I usually politely dismiss them."

I usually try to be polite until they really piss me off.

How do they piss you off? Why would you let somebody else's opinon have that kind of power over you?

Some clown from the local Baptist Church ringing my doorbell with the intent of discussing the Bible on a Saturday morning after I had a late concert the night before is perfectly good grounds for being pissed off. He'll never make that mistake again because I told them that he or anyone from his church showed up again, I would obtain the pastor's home phone number and give them a ring at 3am to inform them that so-and -so told me I should call and ask them how their day was going.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 4:54PM #43
mytmouse57

Apr 23, 2012 -- 4:43PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Apr 23, 2012 -- 4:32PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

I'm not hostile toward those who try to evangalize me. I usually politely dismiss them.

No one is being hostile, but it is insulting and annoying when people are trying to force you into believing in their brand of religion , and trying to get you (generic)  to walk away from your (generic) own. It is disrespectful. And proselytisers never know when to stop.

Evangelising is just a nasty thing to do.

Again --- I have to ask. Why/how are you letting other peoples' points of view hold such sway and power over you? 

I've never found evangalists partiularly difficult to dismiss. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 4:55PM #44
mytmouse57

Apr 23, 2012 -- 4:44PM, farragut wrote:

'Tweren't Dubbya, 'twas Papa:

When George Bush was campaigning for the presidency, as incumbent vice-president, one of his stops was in Chicago, Illinois, on August 27, 1987. At O'Hare Airport he held a formal outdoor news conference. There Robert I. Sherman, a reporter for the American Atheist news journal, fully accredited by the state of Illinois and by invitation a participating member of the press corps covering the national candidates, had the following exchange with then-Vice-President Bush.
Sherman: What will you do to win the votes of the Americans who are atheists?
Bush: I guess I'm pretty weak in the atheist community. Faith in God is important to me.
Sherman: Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are atheists?
Bush: No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.
Sherman (somewhat taken aback): Do you support as a sound constitutional principle the separation of state and church?
Bush: Yes, I support the separation of church and state. I'm just not very high on atheists.

Thanks for the correction (as to which Bush) and the clarification (as to what was said.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 5:13PM #45
wohali

"How do they piss you off? Why would you let somebody else's opinon have that kind of power over you?"

You do take great liberties.

It's not their opinion that pisses me off, it's their behavor. I don't really care what someone believes until they begin to insist that I should believe what they do. Then we have a problem.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 5:14PM #46
redshifted

Apr 23, 2012 -- 4:54PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Again --- I have to ask. Why/how are you letting other peoples' points of view hold such sway and power over you? 

Not sure how you've missed it (or perhaps you don't care), but evangelists aren't so easy to dismiss when they get their religious beliefs put into public policy. This ensures their points of view do hold sway over people. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 5:15PM #47
chevy956

I'm not hostile toward those who try to evangalize me. I usually politely dismiss them.

No one is being hostile, but it is insulting and annoying when people are trying to force you into believing in their brand of religion , and trying to get you (generic)  to walk away from your (generic) own. It is disrespectful. And proselytisers never know when to stop.

Why is it any of your business?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 5:26PM #48
mytmouse57

Apr 23, 2012 -- 5:13PM, wohali wrote:

"How do they piss you off? Why would you let somebody else's opinon have that kind of power over you?"

You do take great liberties.

It's not their opinion that pisses me off, it's their behavor. I don't really care what someone believes until they begin to insist that I should believe what they do. Then we have a problem.

Why? 

They can "insist" all they want. Just like my teenager can "insist" I'm being an abusive bastard when I ground him. 

Somebody "insisting" something doesn't change reality. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 5:29PM #49
mytmouse57

Apr 23, 2012 -- 5:14PM, redshifted wrote:

Not sure how you've missed it (or perhaps you don't care), but evangelists aren't so easy to dismiss when they get their religious beliefs put into public policy. This ensures their points of view do hold sway over people. 

That sounds a mite paranoid to me. Sort of like evangelicals talking about "secular humanists" taking over.

Methinks both sides are squaking a bit too much. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 5:32PM #50
mytmouse57

Apr 23, 2012 -- 5:15PM, chevy956 wrote:

I'm not the one who brought it up. I'm merely curious, why some think being evangalized is such a big deal. 

I've simply just said, "no thank you." Or, worst case scenerio, mabye rattle off something like, "Well, the Trinity is primarily a Nicean doctrine anyway, so I never put much stock in it," and then walking away.

Why is it any of your business?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 27  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook