Switch to Forum Live View Seeking Help for Class Project
2 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 10:46AM #1
snw1969
Hi all - I'm in college taking a World Religions class and one of the various beliefs that they are NOT covering is Unitarian Universalism. However, this is the topic of my paper and I was curious if there are any leaders within the UU faith that would be willing to speak with me briefly so that I can get some basic information for my paper.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 1:15PM #2
DotNotInOz

I don't know that any have ever been on B-net in the several years I've hung out here. Anyway, no one has ever identified as such.

I'd suggest contacting a couple of people at the Unitarian Universalist Association directly.

You could, of course, attempt to reach the current UUA President Rev. Peter Morales, but I think it's a safe bet that his inbox is loaded daily. Might be worth a try, but I wouldn't hope for as much as you're likely to get from others.

I'd suggest emailing the Church of the Larger Fellowship (the online church and largest one in the denomination) minister, Rev. Meg A. Riley. The CLF website is currently a mess as they're moving to a new site in several months, and I had a beast of a time getting specific info from it; otherwise, I'd simply have linked that for you. You might find it easier to contact her through it. I can't since I don't have my browser's default email functional. www.clf.uua.org

You may wish to examine some of her writings to see if she seems congenial, which you can do through the denomination's quarterly magazine, UU World at www.uuworld.org  Meg writes for it fairly regularly. Otherwise, you can likely reach her at mriley@uua.org.

The Religious Education minister of CLF, Rev. Lynn Ungar, was very responsive and helpful to me when I was a trial member of CLF. I would guess she'd be equally so to an inquiry such as yours. Her email is lungar@uuaorg.

I presume you've found your way to the denomination's website at www.uua.org. If not, you may find some useful info there and possibly other potential contacts.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 1:21PM #3
snw1969

Thanks for the information.

It doesn't need to be a leader per say - just anyone that is in the "know' about the beliefs, practices, etc. It is fairly basic information that I am looking for but it has to come from an individual and not just something that I can go and read. I prefer that type of interaction anyway because I would much rather find out what an individual believes rather than read something that someone thinks they a group of individuals believe.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 1:41PM #4
DotNotInOz

Then, the difficulty you will have is that there are no specific beliefs which every UU is expected to uphold. UUism is a non-creedal faith with no stated body of beliefs expected of or common to all.  

Talk to any one UU and you'll get what that individual believes. Talk to that person's spouse, sig other or child, and you'll most likely get something else entirely. The person's minister (if any) may believe something else altogether...etc.

May I suggest that you look through the basic information about UUism on the UUA site? Doing so may help you formulate your questions once you have a bit more understanding of the nature of UUism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 4:45PM #5
Jupiter6208

Yeah kind of liked the UU's for a while then i went to a service  wasent for me nice people though.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

What the heart loves, the will chooses, and the mind justifies.”

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 10:32PM #6
Wulf

As mentioned, there is no central dogma or belief specified by UUism.  I would state that there is a spirituality and a belief that Humankind is intrinsicaly good and that all life is interrelated.  This is probably true of both the Theist and Athiest members and is true of most I have met.  Many UU congregations have been coopted by a liberal political agenda.  The General Assembly this June in Arizona plans to demonstrate against AZ's immigration laws.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 28, 2012 - 10:38AM #7
Jupiter6208

yup.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 6:36PM #8
DotNotInOz

May 27, 2012 -- 10:32PM, Wulf wrote:

As mentioned, there is no central dogma or belief specified by UUism.  I would state that there is a spirituality and a belief that Humankind is intrinsicaly good and that all life is interrelated.  This is probably true of both the Theist and Athiest members and is true of most I have met.  Many UU congregations have been coopted by a liberal political agenda.  The General Assembly this June in Arizona plans to demonstrate against AZ's immigration laws.  

Actually, I can attest that not all UU's feel that life is interrelated. I knew at least three people in my last church who said openly that the emphasis upon this "interdependent web of existence" thing was crap, they thought, largely because that principle is so often interpreted as demanding animal rights and no-flesh diets.

There were a few crusaders for animal rights in the church, and some members were apparently tired of hearing about the issue. I'm not sure what these people's reasoning was, but they were quite vocal about believing that a reasonable consideration for animal welfare was fine but that was the limit for them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 7:02PM #9
Jupiter6208

I haven't been in a couple of years  but i'm taking my 4 year old daughter to my area UU Church this Sunday there will be homemade Cinnamon rolls made by the Membership Coordinator yum!

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 9:47PM #10
Wulf

Of course not all UUs feel that way.  We are the least monolithic religion I know of.  I know of no UUs that believe in man's dominion over the beasts, birds and fishes.  That said, I think Unitarians tend to be so inclusive that rituals seem forced and phony.  

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook