Page 6 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Things atheism is not.
3 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 4:16PM #51
mountain_man

Apr 20, 2012 -- 1:33PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Being an atheist and not believing in abortion actually makes sense. If you don't believe there are any gods or a soul and an possible after life. Then it makes sense.

That's right. Atheists, in general, respect life and a fetus represents a potential life and as such deserves some respect. However, that respect for a potential cannot take precedence over a life that is already here. It is wrong to force a woman to continue a pregnancy against her will.

I am always stunned that believers, in a god, (particularly Christians)  in souls and after life are against abortion, since they should believe the soul goes to heaven, or is reborn in another body. A believer, particularly  Christians should have no problem with abortion based on that.

Their beliefs don't go that deep. It is popular among christians to be pro birth. After the kid is born they really don't care what happens.

After all in the opinion of a Christian, no life is lost,  The souls  would instantly go to heaven to be with their Jesus, At least if they really believed what they claim to believe . Which I sincerely doubt they really do. That  is why certain types of believers come and harangue atheists.   IMNSHO.

We scare them by not being under their control.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 4:17PM #52
mountain_man

Apr 20, 2012 -- 2:02PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

In other words, thinking God does not exist.

Wrong, again. But thanks for sharing your opinion.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 4:22PM #53
mountain_man

Apr 20, 2012 -- 1:20PM, Sparky_Spotty wrote:

...I guess my point is, ones position on the existence of God can affect ones world view, but not in any necessarily consistent way.

Good point. If Atheism does as some claim then all Atheists would think alike.  There are many things that form our world views. Lack of belief in gods is a minor part IF it were to play any part at all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 7:29PM #54
Blü

Ken

Why do we have to start a thread every five minutes about what atheism is? It becomes tiresome.

Because so many of our visitors want to talk about it.  And so many of the others need to have it explained.

It's one of those facts of life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 7:40PM #55
steven_guy

Apr 20, 2012 -- 7:29PM, Blü wrote:

Ken

Why do we have to start a thread every five minutes about what atheism is? It becomes tiresome.

Because so many of our visitors want to talk about it.  And so many of the others need to have it explained.

It's one of those facts of life.

Mea culpa. I get tired of these theist weasels waltzing in here and telling us what we believe and don't believe in.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 8:40PM #56
Ken

They could try researching it a little before they post here.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 8:43PM #57
farragut

Wouldn't it be nice if someone had the time to screen thru all these threads and compile the FAQs along with the very thorough answers that have been provided to them. Then we just feed them to all the new trolls and lurkers.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 11:00PM #58
mountain_man

Apr 20, 2012 -- 8:40PM, Ken wrote:

You're asking a bit much aren't you? The few believers that have done their research are the ones here that, while not Atheists, are our ardent defenders. The rest come here solely to excoriate us, not to learn about anything. Have you noticed that not one of them has learned anything from posting here?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 11:50PM #59
teilhard

I have observed that there is a LOT of "Excoriation-rather-than-Mutual-Learning" in these "Discussions" ... IMHO this happens often at least in Part because we often tend to "talk past each other" because we are NOT "speaking the same Language" ...

Apr 20, 2012 -- 11:00PM, mountain_man wrote:

Apr 20, 2012 -- 8:40PM, Ken wrote:

You're asking a bit much aren't you? The few believers that have done their research are the ones here that, while not Atheists, are our ardent defenders. The rest come here solely to excoriate us, not to learn about anything. Have you noticed that not one of them has learned anything from posting here?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 12:02AM #60
Blü

Dave

Have you noticed that not one of them has learned anything from posting here?

I dare say they go home and say, I TOLD 'em about Jesus, really I did, but they wouldn't listen!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook