Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 4 of 14  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Things atheism is not.
6 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 10:12AM #31
mytmouse57

Apr 20, 2012 -- 9:59AM, farragut wrote:

"

At one point in my life, I had concluded and thought, no such thing as a God(s)/creator/higher power existed.

I was therefore atheist.

I can't make it any more clear than that"

As briefly as possible, pray, what changed your mind?

It wasn't any one particular thing. Prior to becoming agnostic, and eventually atheist, I had been brought up Christian, and as a teen and young adult, been very active and sincere in my Christian beliefs. 

I thought I was done with religion, and understood it well enough to know it was not for me. Then a rather strange personal experience prompted me to ponder things. Not that I put much stock in the experience itself -- it was completely subjective, and I don't wish to share the deails.

What's relevant is that it did prompt me to re-make a closer examination of all the various religions and views. I read quite a bit of Joseph Campbell at that point. 

My conclusion was, basically something was prompting everything, but I wasn't sure what that was.

When got to a point where I was certain that I wasn't going to find any definitive answer, I was comfortable with that. I realized definitive answers might not be all that important after all. I would just figure out my own way, and go with it.

Shortly thereafter, I discovered the Baha'i Faith. After a year or so of studying and contemplating it, I decided it was exactly what I wanted to be. Haven't had any regrets since. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 11:29AM #32
farragut

Ainsi soit-il.

Thanks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 11:33AM #33
mountain_man

Apr 20, 2012 -- 8:13AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Atheism lends itself toward certain views on some very fundamental questions.

Atheism does not do what you need to claim it does. I do not begin each thought with; "Since I am an Atheist....." I don't go around thinking all day about being an Atheist. There is no "ism" in Atheism. It's not a thought process. It's nothing but a lack of belief in gods.

To say it simply won't affect one's world view is pure nonsense.

Trying to make Atheism out to be more that it really is is the nonsensical route. I collect stamps, but that doesn't inform my world view either. I'm restoring an old tractor, that doesn't inform my world view either.

Now, if you desperately need to have something, a philosophy, that effects my world view; try Secular Humanism. That has all the add ons that you are trying to attach to Atheism.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 11:34AM #34
mountain_man

Apr 20, 2012 -- 8:16AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Who is "us?" Are you talking about yourself in the royal third person now?....

Thanks for sharing  your opinion.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 12:05PM #35
mytmouse57

Apr 20, 2012 -- 11:33AM, mountain_man wrote:

Apr 20, 2012 -- 8:13AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Atheism lends itself toward certain views on some very fundamental questions.

Atheism does not do what you need to claim it does. I do not begin each thought with; "Since I am an Atheist....." I don't go around thinking all day about being an Atheist. There is no "ism" in Atheism. It's not a thought process. It's nothing but a lack of belief in gods.

To say it simply won't affect one's world view is pure nonsense.

Trying to make Atheism out to be more that it really is is the nonsensical route. I collect stamps, but that doesn't inform my world view either. I'm restoring an old tractor, that doesn't inform my world view either.

Now, if you desperately need to have something, a philosophy, that effects my world view; try Secular Humanism. That has all the add ons that you are trying to attach to Atheism.

If one think God does not exist, then one is an athiest. 

If you think there is no God, then that is going to affect how you view the world, life and things in general.

Likewise, if you think there is a God, ditto.

Those statement are both true in general. Specific effects will vary, person to person.

You're getting way too cranked up over simple observations. I'm not trying to make anything into anything.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 1:02PM #36
JCarlin

Apr 20, 2012 -- 8:16AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Who is "us?" Are you talking about yourself in the royal third person now?

A reasonable question which seems to be being evaded. 

My best guess is that the "us" refers to the Secular Humanists, which is a dogmatic atheistic group, complete with manefestos.

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 1:12PM #37
Sparky_Spotty

Apr 19, 2012 -- 6:26PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Apr 19, 2012 -- 6:19PM, steven_guy wrote:

Apr 19, 2012 -- 6:10PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Some people seem to deliberately not want to understand what atheism actually is.

I've noticed that over the years. There must be some sort of psychological need in these people to misunderstand atheism.

You must know some strange people.

Actually, I don't think they seek to misunderstand atheism, I think its a definite deliberate calculated strategy to redefine atheism into a more attackable position.

Hense silly sayings like "It takes just as much faith to be a theist as an atheist".

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 1:15PM #38
mountain_man

Apr 20, 2012 -- 12:05PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

If one think God does not exist, then one is an athiest.

No, all one needs to be an Atheist is a lack of belief in gods.  Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 1:20PM #39
Sparky_Spotty

Apr 20, 2012 -- 12:05PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

If you think there is no God, then that is going to affect how you view the world, life and things in general.

Likewise, if you think there is a God, ditto.

Those statement are both true in general. Specific effects will vary, person to person.

You're getting way too cranked up over simple observations. I'm not trying to make anything into anything.

Strangely enough, I largely agree with those statements. I think on certain issues, your view on the issue of whether there is some divine purposefully entity pulling the strings can alter your world view. HOWEVER, I don't think you can make any generalizations about athiest positions on things.

I am an atheist, yet I don't approve of abortion.  I am for same sex marriages though.

I don't approve of stealing or lying, and I don't in the same breath think they are 'sins' that I will be punished for in the afterlife.

I don't support capital punishment, but I also think the justice system is sometimes overly lenient.

I guess my point is, ones position on the existence of God can affect ones world view, but not in any necessarily consistent way.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 1:33PM #40
Ken

Why do we have to start a thread every five minutes about what atheism is? It becomes tiresome.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 14  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook