Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Atheists' preferred president?
3 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 10:15PM #1
steven_guy
I was curious about the political opinions of atheists here. 

Who do you think should be should be the next president?
Who do you think will win the next presidential election?

In Australia, almost everyone is barracking for Obama, even though we're not too keen on the increased American military presence in our region.  The Republican candidates seemed to be a bunch of duds, every single one of them is a worthless human being. So it's Obama be default.

But how do atheists and anyone else here feel?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 10:47PM #2
mountain_man

Apr 15, 2012 -- 10:15PM, steven_guy wrote:

Well.... you know.... I'm not one to freely give my opinion.

Bernie Sanders.

Someone not good for the country or the American people.

In Australia, almost everyone is barracking for Obama, even though we're not too keen on the increased American military presence in our region.  The Republican candidates seemed to be a bunch of duds, every single one of them is a worthless human being. So it's Obama be default.

"By default" is not a good way to elect a president and move forward.

Sick. Until we get the money out of politics we will not have a government responsive to the people. We are heading towards fascism and it doesn't seem there's much we can do about it.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 11:14PM #3
Ken

Who do you think should be the next president?

Nobody. I think we should dissolve the union, repeal the Declaration of Independence, and submit ourselves humbly to the British Crown. If we're very, very good, we may be allowed some measure of self-government in a few decades.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 11:14PM #4
JCarlin

As per my other post Obama by default. I assume that the Religious right will continue to self-destruct and the reasonable red states will come to their senses and send good people to congress.  Hillary will continue to run the country while Obama cuts the ribbons and goes to the conferences.  The only really interesting question is whether it will be Hillary or Chelsea in 2016.

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 11:22PM #5
JCarlin

Apr 15, 2012 -- 11:14PM, Ken wrote:

Who do you think should be the next president?

Nobody. I think we should dissolve the union, repeal the Declaration of Independence, and submit ourselves humbly to the British Crown. If we're very, very good, we may be allowed some measure of self-government in a few decades.

If nobody could get on the ballot hesh would win in a landslide.

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 12:09AM #6
mountain_man

Apr 15, 2012 -- 11:14PM, Ken wrote:

I don't know.... haven't we pretty much proven we are incapable of self-governance?

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 1:00AM #7
cptspith

As a side note, I'm sure you're already aware that the "political opinions of atheists" - as a group - is about as coherent as the "political opinions of left-handed people" or the "political opinions of people who wear blue."

I am certain that the current office-holder will get a second term. As to who SHOULD be the next president, I would have to say that the best candidate (so to speak) is someone that nobody has ever heard of.

In an ideal representative democracy, I would dearly love to see two sweeping changes. Actually, one sweeping change, and one return to the original plan.

1) EVERY ballot for every political race should contain the option of "None of the Above." If the "None of the Above" votes get a majority, that race must be re-run, with all participants in the first race banned from participation (an entirely new field of candidates.

2) The presidential race needs to return to the method defined in the constitution; ALL candidates rune in ONE election (none of this "Primary Election" and Choose-Your-Running-Mate bullshit), and the winner of the election becomes the president, and second place gets vice-president.

The Republican candidates seemed to be a bunch of duds, every single one of them is a worthless human being. So it's Obama be default.

Given the current options, I would have loved to see Santorum get the Republican nomination and have to dabate an intelligent, well-spoken opponent. I would have been able to enjoy the entertainment values of the debates with no real concern that Mr. Theocrat might ever win.

Reverend Spith
Savior of Humanity
Secular Messiah

Do not assume that which you seek to discover.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 1:12AM #8
steven_guy

Apr 16, 2012 -- 1:00AM, cptspith wrote:

As a side note, I'm sure you're already aware that the "political opinions of atheists" - as a group - is about as coherent as the "political opinions of left-handed people" or the "political opinions of people who wear blue."

Oh, I agree. But in view of the apparent rabid theism of all the Republican candidates, I wondered if this may have united atheists a little more than they are usually united. 

Perhaps atheists who generally support the political right may be tempted to vote for Obama this year?

Thanks for your other comments.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 2:49AM #9
Blü

The choice will be Obama and Romney.  Both have freight. 

Obama's had successes, including with the economy, but not all of them have been popular successes.  His foreign policy has been good, often very good, and he's reversed a lot of the Bush anti-US feeling in Europe and more broadly, but most voters won't care.  He's also had failures and disappointments - the biggie for me has been very little movement on rolling back Bush's attack on civil rights and keeping Guantanamo.  But an overriding fault is the sense of his lack of political presence day to day, both with problems and with initiatives except when he's on the stump.

Now the unspeakable Santorum has withdrawn (all puns intended), Romney's at liberty to move more towards the center with his campaign statements, where he needs to be to take on Obama.  Mormon is not cred, and the sheer volume of money he's flushed down the primaries has turned off people in the center.  He may or may not have a bomb or two ticking in his tax and business affairs.

But the main game's yet to come, and there the atmosphere's always very different. If Obama wins - the proposition that he's the default liberal choice will be tested - it will be in no small part because he's again been a brilliant campaigner.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 3:16AM #10
steven_guy

Thanks for all the comments.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook