Switch to Forum Live View ATHEISM 2.O. WHAT ATHEISM CAN LEARN FROM RELIGION
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 9:40PM #41
teilhard

In these Days of Health-and-Weight-Consciouness,

it isn't uncommon to

"Hold the 'Mayo' ..."

Apr 5, 2012 -- 9:34PM, MidnightCougar wrote:

Apr 5, 2012 -- 7:52PM, wohali wrote:

I would like to point out that the three men cited as being bad atheists all started out with Catholic religious training.

And that at least two of them deified themselves, funny the third one, Mao, got left out.

I wouldn't be suprised at all to learn that Catholic training produces more atheists than all of the "evil" science books put together.

That could explain Mao's absense, no Catholic training.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 10:58PM #42
cptspith

Apr 5, 2012 -- 9:04PM, teilhard wrote:

Apr 5, 2012 -- 9:02PM, wohali wrote:

I wouldn't be suprised at all to learn that Catholic training produces more atheists than all of the "evil" science books put together.

You regard "Science" Books as "evil" ... ???  I don't ...

I am embarrassed that I can't simply let this go, but I must point out that Wohali's usage of quotation marks clearly shows that he is using the term "evil" in an ironic sense. I presume you misunderstood because you are unable to recognize the correct usage of the punctuation. Please pay attention to it, and you may yet learn how to actually communicate effectively with others.

And regarding your earlier comment of not engaging in "pissing matches," I must also point out that your first response (of listing "atheist" dictators) was EXACTLY the "pissing match: you so "innocently" claim to eschew.

Note as well the plethora of correctly used punctuation.

Reverend Spith
Savior of Humanity
Secular Messiah

Do not assume that which you seek to discover.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 11:03PM #43
teilhard

These Posts just get more and more "funnier" ...

So ... Let's get BACK to The TOPIC of The Thread ....

Apr 5, 2012 -- 10:58PM, cptspith wrote:

Apr 5, 2012 -- 9:04PM, teilhard wrote:

Apr 5, 2012 -- 9:02PM, wohali wrote:

You regard "Science" Books as "evil" ... ???  I don't ...

I am embarrassed that I can't simply let this go, but I must point out that Wohali's usage of quotation marks clearly shows that he is using the term "evil" in an ironic sense. I presume you misunderstood because you are unable to recognize the correct usage of the punctuation. Please pay attention to it, and you may yet learn how to actually communicate effectively with others.

And regarding your earlier comment of not engaging in "pissing matches," I must also point out that your first response (of listing "atheist" dictators) was EXACTLY the "pissing match: you so "innocently" claim to eschew.

Note as well the plethora of correctly used punctuation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 11:16PM #44
steven_guy

Does this wretched thread have a purpose other than giving the odd theist an opportunity to bait atheists?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 12:18AM #45
teilhard

Getting BACK to The TOPIC of The Thread ...

I think that "Atheists" can learn from People of Faith that There IS more to "Life, The Universe and Everything" that what we can Sample and Analyze by Scientific Studies ... 

To be sure, THAT Fact does NOT necessarily mean that People of Faith are 100% totally **spot**on** Right and Correct about "God" ... but it DOES mean that "Materisl-ism" is NOT an ADEQUATE Understanding of "Reality" Itself ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 1:20AM #46
MidnightCougar

Apr 5, 2012 -- 11:16PM, steven_guy wrote:

Does this wretched thread have a purpose other than giving the odd theist an opportunity to bait atheists?

Wohali does not bait atheists, can't say I know him well enough to determine if he's odd though.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 9:40AM #47
costrel

Apr 6, 2012 -- 12:18AM, teilhard wrote:

I think that "Atheists" can learn from People of Faith that There IS more to "Life, The Universe and Everything" that what we can Sample and Analyze by Scientific Studies ... 

Atheists already know that there is more to life than what we can sample and analyze by scientific studies. Why do you think I have devoted my life to the study of literature? (Hint: My study of literature has very little to do with entertainment and consumption.) 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 10:02AM #48
teilhard

Yes ... GOOD Stories well-told, Poetry, Plays and Myths are NOT just for "entertainment," but take us DEEPER into The Meaning(s) of Life and of Existence itself ... I agree ...

Apr 6, 2012 -- 9:40AM, costrel wrote:

Apr 6, 2012 -- 12:18AM, teilhard wrote:

Atheists already know that there is more to life than what we can sample and analyze by scientific studies. Why do you think I have devoted my life to the study of literature? (Hint: My study of literature has very little to do with entertainment and consumption.) 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 11:06AM #49
JCarlin

Apr 6, 2012 -- 10:02AM, teilhard wrote:

Yes ... GOOD Stories well-told, Poetry, Plays and Myths are NOT just for "entertainment," but take us DEEPER into The Meaning(s) of Life and of Existence itself

Nonetheless, religious interpretations of stories and myths even their own religious stories and myths are generally worthless, and frequently dysfunctional, for discovering the meaning of life and explaining existence in the modern world. 

Religious interpretations generally are of the form "We are the world's sweet chosen few.  The rest of you be damned."  This interpretation promotes hate, bigotry and fear of others, and prevents the cosmopolitan cooperation necessary in the diverse, multi life-style world we live in.

This is not to say that religious myths and stories are not useful.  They can be used as horror stories to frighten children away from religious temptation, and the dangers of hate based and misogynous doctrines typical of most Abrahamic religions.   

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 11:26AM #50
steven_guy

What can atheism learn from religion? Nothing. 

Atheism isn't some sort of belief system. It isn't a "world view". It isn't a way of life. It isn't even a way of thinking.

It is simply an absence of a believe in a god or gods. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook