Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View ATHEISM 2.O. WHAT ATHEISM CAN LEARN FROM RELIGION
2 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 11:29PM #1
IDBC
I came across this link: 

www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/alain_de_botto...

that I found to be very interesting and would thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss.     

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 12:41AM #2
Blü

De Botton's been discussed here before, especially regarding the idea that atheists as such are so alike in their outlooks that they should gather and develop group and community agendas.  My own suspicion is that atheists are a job for a black-belt cat herder.

He also seems not to notice that a lot of what he speaks of already exists.  An atheist who wants atheist company can get it on the net.  Or if social mixing, Humanist organizations and  atheist groups so called - and versions of the UU and Episcopalians / Anglicans and other liberal Christian groups, not to mention the non-monastic Buddhists, are often comfortably at home with atheist ideas.

I think his ideas are plausible in the negative sense, interesting to have heard once, but not on the money.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 2:23PM #3
JCarlin

See Atheism_2.0  please comment there. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 5:58PM #4
teilhard

One Thing "Atheists" (rather than from "Athe-ISM") could learn from People of Religious Faith (rather than from "Religion") is that there is great Variation and multiple Possibilities among us, i.e. we're NOT all Rigid, Dogmatic, Ir-Rational, Delusional, Authoritarian, anti-Scientific or ANY of the terrible Things unfairly said/written about us ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 6:33PM #5
JCarlin

Apr 3, 2012 -- 5:58PM, teilhard wrote:

we're NOT all Rigid, Dogmatic, Ir-Rational, Delusional, Authoritarian, anti-Scientific or ANY of the terrible Things unfairly said/written about us ...

Those of you who are not might well do more about those that are.  They claim they are the voice of God.  If you say nothing how do I tell the difference? 

J'Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 6:47PM #6
teilhard

On the contrary, I say PLENTY ... 

Apr 3, 2012 -- 6:33PM, JCarlin wrote:

we're NOT all Rigid, Dogmatic, Ir-Rational, Delusional, Authoritarian, anti-Scientific or ANY of the terrible Things unfairly said/written about us ...

Those of you who are not might well do more about those that are.  They claim they are the voice of God.  If you say nothing how do I tell the difference? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 7:04PM #7
JCarlin

Apr 3, 2012 -- 6:47PM, teilhard wrote:

On the contrary, I say PLENTY ... 

Apr 3, 2012 -- 6:33PM, JCarlin wrote:

Not on this board.

J'Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 8:25PM #8
wohali

Atheists can learn how to effectively scam people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 8:36PM #9
steven_guy

Atheists could learn how to avoid paying taxed and learn how to annoy the shit out people on other forums here?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 8:54PM #10
farragut

One or two of us can already do the latter.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook