Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Sh*t Christians Say to Atheists
2 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 5:29PM #11
Bob_the_Lunatic

Mar 10, 2012 -- 8:32AM, Sparky_Spotty wrote:

Actually it does make me terribly depressed. Especially when you then youtube surf the related videos and hear some of these folks arguing with Hitchens or Dawkins, and using the very same stupid rationalizations.  It's all rather hopeless. That force will always be there, and will always strive to rule the nation and forcibly impose religion on the rest of us- destroying gay and lesbian rights, reproductive freedom, scientific inquiry and free thought.

Yuk

Unfortunately it appears that force, or another, has also destroyed your optimism, and faith in the human species.  

That force will most certainly NOT always be there:   How many gods has man invented?  How many of them remain today?  If it weren't for those damned Hindus and Catholics, and other polytheists-we'd have a killer "diminishing return" on gods.  Regardless, it has shrunk substantially.  Further, the gods of yesterday are a myth today.  And the gods of today will be a myth tomorrow.  And Jesus is just "flavor of the month", he's nothing special, he's a freakin' copycat god for pitys sake!  Jesus and the bible will also be myths to all someday.  

How do people change?  One by one.  So we do our part and hope for the best.  One by one, people will slowly awaken to reality.  But even our star, this planet, this Universe... will not "always be there".  Those things are real.  You are giving MORE credit to a childish, false god belief.

You better check yourself, don't make me send you to atheist camp.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 11:09PM #12
JCarlin

Actually it does make me terribly depressed. Especially when you then youtube surf the related videos and hear some of these folks arguing with Hitchens or Dawkins, and using the very same stupid rationalizations.  It's all rather hopeless. That force will always be there, and will always strive to rule the nation and forcibly impose religion on the rest of us- destroying gay and lesbian rights, reproductive freedom, scientific inquiry and free thought.

Yuk

As the religious right is systematically destroying the education and hence competitiveness of their children in the secular world.  They will end up in religious enclaves with no visible means of support.  This is known as bad luck. 

Scientific inquiry, and human rights for all will continue to flourish outside those enclaves.  It may take a while, but probably not long as they have made half of the country's population their enemy.  Politically this is suicide.  But in the USA politics has been irrelevant for the productive sector since Regan, and the religious and the rich can fight over the scraps. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 11:51PM #13
Ken

Mar 11, 2012 -- 11:09PM, JCarlin wrote:

Yuk

As the religious right is systematically destroying the education and hence competitiveness of their children in the secular world.  They will end up in religious enclaves with no visible means of support.  This is known as bad luck.

It's not happening quickly enough. The religious right was supposed to be gone by 1990.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 11:58PM #14
mountain_man

Mar 11, 2012 -- 11:51PM, Ken wrote:

It's not happening quickly enough. The religious right was supposed to be gone by 1990.

You can thank the Republicans for that. The GOP (God's Own Party) figured out that religion can be used to get votes and control people.

I remember Reagan, in his campaign for Calif. governor, that "Good christians will vote for me." Things went straight to hell after that.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 11:39AM #15
JCarlin

Mar 11, 2012 -- 11:51PM, Ken wrote:

Mar 11, 2012 -- 11:09PM, JCarlin wrote:

As the religious right is systematically destroying the education and hence competitiveness of their children in the secular world.  They will end up in religious enclaves with no visible means of support.  This is known as bad luck. /quote] It's not happening quickly enough. The religious right was supposed to be gone by 1990.

In the absense of state violence social change comes slowly.  Political change is even slower, but is irrelevant anyway.  If you knew what to look for the religious right died with Clinton.  The flopping around of the headless chicken wasn't pleasant to watch and may still cause some disasters for the poor who are mostly uneducated religious people, but as I say this is bad luck.  They need to pray harder and vote smarter.  Neither will work.  

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook