Switch to Forum Live View is there a place for me in secular humanism?
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 12:00PM #1
RavenNevermore

sorry this was posted under the wrong account--this one is defunct but apparently my Windows remembered an old email and password that I didn't. I will repost under my account where I can receive emails. sorry again.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 12:08PM #2
Lady_Heresy

ok--this is my active email/account:

I am non-theist. Basically I just do not care if there are any gods or not. I think they are more likely more highly evolved aliens that got involved in human gene manipulation and either left us as a failed experiment or left us to "cook" awhile before possibly returning to exploit the results.

I am perhaps a bit more anti-religious than non-religious, but it comes from bitter personal experiences and I am trying to be more tolerant of ignorance and superstition Wink .

BUT--I do feel that there is a part of life that reflects the qualities that religion gives to "spirit". Perhaps it can be explained by science in the future. Today's sci-fi is tomorrow's sci-facts. I have had "paranormal" experiences that are difficult to explain scientifically. And I do feel there is some merit to some religious practice and paraphenalia like meditation, crystals/magnetic/harmonic vibration stuff. I know when I listen to Hindu Crystal Bowl Chakra Healing CDs I feel a physical reaction to the sound and it makes me feel better afterward. The same with some Reiki techniques. I have seen amazing synchronicities in my life and I do think that horoscopes, tarot cards, divination or even channeling have a psychological connection to the human brain that may be explained by science one day along with ESP and remote-viewing or psychokinetics.

Because of my unique (where I live it is unique!) personal philosophy I have called myself a non-theist witch. But that does not really fit me. I do not consider "magick" to be a power from some supernatural benevolent or malevolent Source. I feel the power in myself when I "do" magick. I feel it is a manipulation of natural elements through physical and psychic discipline. I love archetypes and symbols, but I am not much into the neo-paganism "everything old is new again" bit. Most of the old can't be proven, so most of the new is just someone's imagination. Which is as valid as any religion is--but not scientific or historic, and I despise intellectual dishonesty and the arrogant need for some kind of pedigree to make some belief system more valid than another one. THAT is religious hubris! I hate it.

oh yeah--my Hero is Patrick Jane of The Mentalist! (And Doctor Who.)

So do I fit in the Secular Humanist bin?

Sincerely,
Ravyn

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2012 - 10:28PM #3
Namchuck

Mar 5, 2012 -- 12:08PM, Lady_Heresy wrote:

ok--this is my active email/account:

I am non-theist. Basically I just do not care if there are any gods or not. I think they are more likely more highly evolved aliens that got involved in human gene manipulation and either left us as a failed experiment or left us to "cook" awhile before possibly returning to exploit the results.

I am perhaps a bit more anti-religious than non-religious, but it comes from bitter personal experiences and I am trying to be more tolerant of ignorance and superstition Wink .

BUT--I do feel that there is a part of life that reflects the qualities that religion gives to "spirit". Perhaps it can be explained by science in the future. Today's sci-fi is tomorrow's sci-facts. I have had "paranormal" experiences that are difficult to explain scientifically. And I do feel there is some merit to some religious practice and paraphenalia like meditation, crystals/magnetic/harmonic vibration stuff. I know when I listen to Hindu Crystal Bowl Chakra Healing CDs I feel a physical reaction to the sound and it makes me feel better afterward. The same with some Reiki techniques. I have seen amazing synchronicities in my life and I do think that horoscopes, tarot cards, divination or even channeling have a psychological connection to the human brain that may be explained by science one day along with ESP and remote-viewing or psychokinetics.

Because of my unique (where I live it is unique!) personal philosophy I have called myself a non-theist witch. But that does not really fit me. I do not consider "magick" to be a power from some supernatural benevolent or malevolent Source. I feel the power in myself when I "do" magick. I feel it is a manipulation of natural elements through physical and psychic discipline. I love archetypes and symbols, but I am not much into the neo-paganism "everything old is new again" bit. Most of the old can't be proven, so most of the new is just someone's imagination. Which is as valid as any religion is--but not scientific or historic, and I despise intellectual dishonesty and the arrogant need for some kind of pedigree to make some belief system more valid than another one. THAT is religious hubris! I hate it.

oh yeah--my Hero is Patrick Jane of The Mentalist! (And Doctor Who.)

Sincerely,
Ravyn

I've just come across your very good and interesting post, Lady_Heresy.

I would suggest that what you share above would place you very comfortably in the Secular Humanist bin.

All I have left to say is "Welcome", glad to have you in the bin.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 1:18PM #4
Aka_me

Sincerely,
Ravyn

I too just read this thread for the first time. and was coincidentally referencing an article that does a superb job of answering the question...

So, the choice is yours. Are you a Humanist?

You needn't answer "yes" or "no." For it's not an either-or proposition. Humanism is yours--to adopt or simply to draw from. You may take a little or a lot, sip from the cup or drink it to the dregs.

It's up to you.

the only time it's perfectly legal to shoot unarmed black people is when you have cops to plant evidence for you... turning justice into a sham.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2012 - 11:20PM #5
JCarlin

Please Welcome Lady_Heresy/ RavenNevermore

to the atheism boards.
Thanks for joining us. 

You might also want to check out the Discuss_Atheism board, it is a bit contentious.  But can be fun.  

Sincerely,
Ravyn

Certainly humanist, and probably secular humanist.  Spiritual is an odd word that has been hijacked so thoroughly by theists that its natural origins as a powerful reward and mnemonic for important experiences has been lost in the God myths.  I am a humanist who is trying to reclaim it, and put up with the misunderstanding and theist lies about it. 

Similarly radical skepticism is not necessarily a part of humanism.  For many humanists there are a lot of mysteries that haven't been solved yet.  Embrace them if you wish without tarnishing your humanism as long as you don't throw in a god to cover them.

Excuse the delay in the welcome, posts get lost easily on this platform.  Embarassed

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook