Page 3 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
2 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 3:03PM #21
costrel

Mar 4, 2012 -- 1:37PM, Aka_me wrote:

glad to see that under no circumstances can polytheism be confused with atheism.

this conversation is required to stay in the most high level of non-descript terminology... because dropping the name of a specific polytheistic religion will result in thread deletion.

set your timer and watch...

as soon as the word Buddhism is mentioned

the thread will vanish.

So in other words, you don't really care about having a conversation with anyone concerning polytheism or atheism. And since you apparently want to talk about Buddhism and not about polytheism or atheism, perhaps you should visit the Discuss Buddhism boards and talk about Buddhism there. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 3:03PM #22
chevy956

Mar 4, 2012 -- 2:57PM, steven_guy wrote:

Polytheists generally seem to be a pretty civilised bunch of people. They don't knock on your door on Saturday mornings or preach on the street and they don't try to pervert the teachings of science in school classrooms. Heck, if there is going to be a god, why can't there be lots of them? It makes more sense.

Stephen,

I 've never been threatened with eternal damnation by followers of Brigid, Zeus, or Ammon-Ra. Possibly the most touching thing a polytheist ever told me was that she and her circle had heard that I was going through a rough time and that that they would remember me in their ceremony that evening. No monotheist ever did that for me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 3:12PM #23
steven_guy

Mar 4, 2012 -- 3:03PM, chevy956 wrote:

Polytheists generally seem to be a pretty civilised bunch of people. They don't knock on your door on Saturday mornings or preach on the street and they don't try to pervert the teachings of science in school classrooms. Heck, if there is going to be a god, why can't there be lots of them? It makes more sense.

Stephen,

I 've never been threatened with eternal damnation by followers of Brigid, Zeus, or Ammon-Ra. Possibly the most touching thing a polytheist ever told me was that she and her circle had heard that I was going through a rough time and that that they would remember me in their ceremony that evening. No monotheist ever did that for me.

The polythiests I've encountered have all been gents or ladies. Blackguards all seem to be monotheists for some reason. Go figure?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 3:17PM #24
Ken

Mar 4, 2012 -- 3:12PM, steven_guy wrote:

Stephen,

The polythiests I've encountered have all been gents or ladies. Blackguards all seem to be monotheists for some reason. Go figure?

Sacrificialgoddess is right. According to monotheists there is only one god and only one correct way of worshipping him. Everyone has to conform. This is why monotheism so easily leads to terrorism. We haven't had any Baha'i terrorists yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 3:20PM #25
Sacrificialgoddess

Mar 4, 2012 -- 3:17PM, Ken wrote:

Mar 4, 2012 -- 3:12PM, steven_guy wrote:

Stephen,

Sacrificialgoddess is right. According to monotheists there is only one god and only one correct way of worshipping him. Everyone has to conform. This is why monotheism so easily leads to terrorism. We haven't had any Baha'i terrorists yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Are Baha'i's monotheists? I have never gotten a straight answer on that one. All I ever get is some "We believe exactly as you do" crap. The problem is they don't seem to understand what I believe.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 3:31PM #26
Ken

Mar 4, 2012 -- 3:20PM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

Are Baha'i's monotheists? I have never gotten a straight answer on that one. All I ever get is some "We believe exactly as you do" crap. The problem is they don't seem to understand what I believe.

The Baha'i god is Allah. The Baha'i faith is just a heretical offshoot of Islam.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 3:33PM #27
Sacrificialgoddess

Mar 4, 2012 -- 3:31PM, Ken wrote:

The Baha'i god is Allah. The Baha'i faith is just a heretical offshoot of Islam.

So why were they approaching me saying they believe what I do, without bothering to ask what I believe? Is this some kind of conversion tactic? Because quite frankly, it just made them hard to talk to. You know, since they weren't willing to discuss differences. Like that whole pesky hard polytheism thing.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 3:43PM #28
chevy956

Mar 4, 2012 -- 3:33PM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

Mar 4, 2012 -- 3:31PM, Ken wrote:

So why were they approaching me saying they believe what I do, without bothering to ask what I believe? Is this some kind of conversion tactic? Because quite frankly, it just made them hard to talk to. You know, since they weren't willing to discuss differences. Like that whole pesky hard polytheism thing.

Former Baha'i' here, and they didn't used to be as clueless and disingenuous as they have become in the last decade. 35 years ago, when I was a Baha'i', they made no bones about the fact that they were monotheists. Now, they attempt to claim every deistic or percieved deistic belief as fitting into their pantheon. Their founder was an idler and career jailbird who made unsubstantiated claims of being some type of manifestation of Allah. Their numbers are shrinking, they have some nasty schismatic issues, their administration at the highest levels is dysfunctional, gutless and dishonest, and they are essentially the last failed gasp of Post-Abrahamic religion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 3:43PM #29
steven_guy

Mar 4, 2012 -- 3:39PM, Aka_me wrote:

the thread was not titled "are polytheists civilized or not"

the thread is about finding out if ATHEISTS think polytheism falls under the umbrella of atheism. and has been determined without dissent that polytheism does not fall under the umbrella of atheism.

unless there IS a rebuttal... feel free to go off topic.

Don't get your knickers in a knot.

Polytheism is a form of theism, not atheism. End of story.

Poltheism ≠ atheism.

There? Happy now?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 3:45PM #30
steven_guy

Mar 4, 2012 -- 3:43PM, chevy956 wrote:

Former Baha'i' here, and they didn't used to be as clueless and disingenuous as they have become in the last decade. 35 years ago, when I was a Baha'i', they made no bones about the fact that they were monotheists. Now, they attempt to claim every deistic or percieved deistic belief as fitting into their pantheon. Their founder was an idler and career jailbird who made unsubstantiated claims of being some type of manifestation of Allah. Their numbers are shrinking, they have some nasty schismatic issues, their administration at the highest levels is dysfunctional, gutless and dishonest, and they are essentially the last failed gasp of Post-Abrahamic religion.

Wow! You don't work for a British newspaper, do you?

Just kidding!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook