Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2012 - 8:40PM #1
steven_guy
I haven't see this before. It looks like a very powerful movie.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLu4HKETjvg&feat... 
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2012 - 8:55PM #2
mountain_man

Mar 2, 2012 -- 8:40PM, steven_guy wrote:

I haven't see this before. It looks like a very powerful movie.

That was good. At least someone got it right.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 1:34AM #3
Bob_the_Lunatic

Steven, I may indeed watch your movie, but I don't need to watch it to know the verdict:

GUILTY ON ALL COUNTS, INCLUDING RACKETEERING!!!!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 6:25AM #4
Blü

As Eliot's a'Beckett said,

[...] the greatest treason
to do the right deed for the wrong reason.

The world - humans aside - behaves exactly as if no god existed.

So the problem here is not to find the monstrous Yahweh at fault. That has no point.  It's to realise that the original deal is a fake - there are no gods.

Nonetheless, I respect the awfulness of the drama for the believers involved. They had the data and they held back from drawing the right conclusion.  But it's true that if they did, not only would their life narratives have been rendered worthless, but nothing about their circumstances would have changed on account of their comprehending the truth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 11:11AM #5
Sparky_Spotty

I saw it a few weeks back and liked it. Great intro to faith, apologetics, and atheism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 3:31PM #6
Bob_the_Lunatic

Mar 3, 2012 -- 11:11AM, Sparky_Spotty wrote:

I saw it a few weeks back and liked it. Great intro to faith, apologetics, and atheism.

The name and avatar messes with my mind Sparky.  I always hear panting after all your posts lol.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 4:30PM #7
koolpoi

Fascinating.Have you started any threads using this in the Christian or Jewish debate areas on B'net?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 4:58PM #8
steven_guy

Mar 3, 2012 -- 4:30PM, koolpoi wrote:

Fascinating.Have you started any threads using this in the Christian or Jewish debate areas on B'net?

I generally avoid the theist debating areas. Repost it there if you like. I haven't see the entire film, although I would be interested in seeing it.

The reason why I posted it here was because it has been frequently put to us here by theists that without God there would be no morality in the world - that God is the arbiter and source of morality. The extremity of the situation for the protagonists in the clip has forced them to question the character of the god they believe in, without quite getting to the conclusion that God doesn't exist.

The Holocaust was and is a problem for theists. How could a moral "god" allow such a thing to take place?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 1:06PM #9
Lavengro

"The world - humans aside - behaves exactly as if no god existed."

And how exactly would the world behave if there were a god, Blü?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 4:04PM #10
steven_guy

Mar 5, 2012 -- 1:06PM, Lavengro wrote:

"The world - humans aside - behaves exactly as if no god existed."

And how exactly would the world behave if there were a god, Blü?

If an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent and omnibenevolent god existed, one would expect that things like the Holocaust would never happen. Such a god would prevent terrible suffering.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook