Switch to Forum Live View Eating Intelligent Beings?
3 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 2:41AM #1
Paravani

Hello, All!

The meat of the debate...

My DH loves to watch YouTube...  you know, flying saucers and kittens and stuff? ... and he found this video that I wanted to share with all of you.

This poor octopus has already had its essential organs removed, but apparently is still aware of what's happening to it.  It doesn't want to be doused with soy sauce, and it seems to be struggling to free itself of the sting.

Look at its eyes.

I was in shock for several minutes after I saw this video.

Oh, and religion aside, please, because my DH is an atheist who says, "Is this how we would treat the first visitors from another planet?"

Love,

Claudia

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 10:13AM #2
mytmouse57

Maybe visitors from another planet would eat us. Cool

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 10:59AM #3
mountain_man

I wouldn't take any video like this on the Internet seriously. It's so easy to fake.

Animals eating other animals is the way nature, and evolution, works.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 11:18AM #4
teilhard

Intelligent Animals certainly try to AVOID being eaten by others, even as WE try to eat THEM ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 12:24PM #5
rabello

Feb 29, 2012 -- 2:41AM, Paravani wrote:

Oh, and religion aside, please, because my DH is an atheist who says, "Is this how we would treat the first visitors from another planet?"

Love,

Claudia

Has your DH even seen the movie The Man Who Fell to Earth, or read the book it is based on? 

There's your answer.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 12:38PM #6
DotNotInOz

This poor octopus has already had its essential organs removed, but apparently is still aware of what's happening to it.  It doesn't want to be doused with soy sauce, and it seems to be struggling to free itself of the sting.

I'd be interested in knowing what leads you to think that an octopus is "aware of what's happening to it."

Looks to me like a reflexive reaction to liquid being poured onto its tentacles. Notice how there's no reaction when the person's fingers push the octopus's head upright again. If this is a creature aware of what's happening and struggling, that act would certainly stimulate a reaction. But, there isn't one.

All of the above, of course, assumes that this video hasn't been heavily tampered with which wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 2:07PM #7
teilhard

The Intelligence of The Octopus is a well-established Fact ...

Feb 29, 2012 -- 12:38PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

I'd be interested in knowing what leads you to think that an octopus is "aware of what's happening to it."

Looks to me like a reflexive reaction to liquid being poured onto its tentacles. Notice how there's no reaction when the person's fingers push the octopus's head upright again. If this is a creature aware of what's happening and struggling, that act would certainly stimulate a reaction. But, there isn't one.

All of the above, of course, assumes that this video hasn't been heavily tampered with which wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook